What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Stern Reveal - Thursday, 5.30pm BST

Eventually it will become one flipper and 1 drop down target, with a big TV in the back.

Eventually it will become one flipper and 1 drop down target, with a big TV in the back.
Or just the screen.... like everything else these days.

Screens screens screens..... shackled to effing screens [emoji23] Just look around any public / social space these days.... It's incredible / disturbing ( take your pick)

Small Friday AM rant over. I'll have cup of tea now and put this bloody phone down [emoji23]

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Just got a reply from Mr Gomez. Won't post the detail but basically they think it'll work they do say that there is a cornerstone around the corner.

It's crazy that the new machines look great with the screens but to strip back the important bit the playfields and toys is not what the pinball community wants, when playing the game how often are you looking at the pretty screen with all the nice grafics and colours ?
Let's get back to making a game that's packed with features, toys, stuff we ain't seen before and more and less on stuff we don't take any note of when we are playing pinball.
It just seems we are paying more and more each year for less and less.

I actually think the ball lock/newton ball thing is pretty good - simple but effective. I haven't seen enough to understand how it is fully implemented in the game - so if a ball finds it's way in there you are given another ball to knock it out ...I'm guessing ??
I thought it was good too, perhaps my post sounded sarcastic but I think it's a great, simple physical ball lock with literally nothing to go wrong with it.

I guess we need to remember that none of us are the market for these home style games. The reveal was disappointing for those expecting a new game, but if you don't like it, then don't buy it.

If buying one of these gets people interested and then eventually into seeking out full machines to play (or buy), that surely has to be a good thing for pinball as a whole and increases the number of people who are interested.

I guess we need to remember that none of us are the market for these home style games. The reveal was disappointing for those expecting a new game, but if you don't like it, then don't buy it.

If buying one of these gets people interested and then eventually into seeking out full machines to play (or buy), that surely has to be a good thing for pinball as a whole and increases the number of people who are interested.

My opinion this is spot on 👏

That's a good thing, but are non-pinball people going to drop $3999 (probably same in £) as a little folly?

I think if anyone really thought it would have any sort of impact on attracting newcomers then we'd all be on board with the idea

That's a good thing, but are non-pinball people going to drop $3999 (probably same in £) as a little folly?

I would guess they have proof from previous ones that they will.

Add the mega-licence that is Star Wars, and I would assume they're guaranteed sellers in that market, which given Munsters/BKSOR haven't flown off the line, is probably what Stern needs right now.

It’s a strange price point, so presumably they have research to prove its appeal. Thousands of pounds/dollars means it’s an adults toy with lots of expendable income. At that level Most people would do their research and see the prices in the second hand market.

I’ve had lots of friends ask if there is an affordable kids version of pinball, and all I see are the basic ‘tomy’ style tiny pinball machines. I’d love to see what stern could do for £100 - to truly be an introduction for kids. A very small toy pin, shrunk down features, but still with some level of coding and depth of play. Completely different offering to what they are used to, and probably the logistical aspects kill it for them. I doubt they are equipped to produce mass market numbers of units and to get placed in major retailers, but that would be a game changer in terms of the market.

These will be going into Costco in the UK. So who is going to look after them with the crap Stern 3 months warranty?

I doubt Mr Palmer will get these in, as - everyone says - it doesnt appeal to pinheads. Lets face it, for a tiny bit more you can buy a used Stern pro.

A lot of rich people I have noticed shop in my local costco (no I am not one of the rich ones!) - people like footballers with disposable income. They will buy one of these for the kids - it will be played over christmas and then will go into the garage. 12 months later it will be on ebay for £1.5k or less so they can get rid of it and get the space back.

Would be interested to know if it uses the same Spike and Node boards from the proper stern machines.

I also think the LCD is a disgrace - the price of these - why didnt they put a larger one in?

It is made for a totally different market - but I predict that Home Leisure Direct and Liberty games will be over this.

I presume Stern will sell direct to costco and not go thru the UK importers Electrocoin.

I think I'm probably the target market for this- fairly new to the hobby, dont own a machines, concerned about space so not worried about it not being full size and ideally wanting a new machine. However as soon as you realise the cost vs a secondhand pro it becomes a definite pass. For me its about 1k too much.

"Stern will use this to up the price of the Pro" - that's a nagging thought in my head.

Do Stern see their pro's as comparable to a JJP game? That may be some hefty arrogance for you, but there is no doubt they are number one right now when it comes to manufacturing numbers. Bump the pro up, the Prem and LE follow, with the LE they can price wherever really and sell them.

I’m with Martin on this that it’s to try and bring more folks in. What I don’t understand is why Stern big it up with their existing pinball gang who aren’t going to be interested in it. They should crest a Stern Home brand that we can all ignore and they can use to find a new market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom