What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haggis Pinball Fathom Revisited

If I was to be negative at all, the call outs ...are they really needed with the apron LCDs? They jar on me like the Super Hoops ones.

If I was lucky enough to own one, would they really bother me (I think not ;))
My first thought too. Also, I know this shouldn't bug me really, but I think I'd find the Aussie accent annoying too.

See how the world is going nowhere ?

Fathom being remanufactured 40 years later.

With those prices, just buy an original. You fix it with a soldering iron. Boards being remanufactured. Backglasses, playfields get remade from time to time. Stencils are available. My proper Fathom is still going strong. Did not miss a beat with 34 players and 5h of continuous abuse this weekend.

Haggis, schmaggis

I did get to play this last year at a local event
It looks great (as it should)
But i played better, and I preferred the game more, when i asked them to switch it back to "classic" mode
I am an old f4rt, I just don't go for RGB LEDS, and there was a sound that irritated me as well

Would I buy one though? Yes

More new pinball is good but plus one here for an original even though mine needs TLC. Fathom is one of those ultimate pinballs along with Centaur. It also have the best flyer for any pinball game as well. Ah Yes!

The LEDs are far too intense for me😄 seems a strange juxtaposition with the classic layout and theme then all that bling.

It’s getting beyond a joke now with pinball manufacturers releasing new games but they haven’t even managed to supply there latest game and it’s not just haggis
I'd be surprised if anyone was daft enough to hand over money to any company operating this sales model too. There have been enough examples in recent years of pin manufacturers royally screwing up with this exact business model, for people to know exactly what happens next.

I'd be surprised if anyone was daft enough to hand over money to any company operating this sales model too. There have been enough examples in recent years of pin manufacturers royally screwing up with this exact business model, for people to know exactly what happens next.
I don't think anyone doubts that CGC will make all the games they have sold but haven't they effectively done this, taking money for Pulp Fiction before Cactus Canyon orders have been fulfilled?

It's like a Kickstarter model, the problem is manufacturers don't have fixed costs or predictable supply chains. It's a risk of losing money vs risk of missing out. I get the reasoning behind putting a deposit on the next 4 machines, but Christ, that's like 8 years planning, anything could happen!! 😱😳

USA customers are getting theirs, some Mermaid Edition customers are annoyed that Haggis are making the V2.0 code rules available now to non mermaid Edition games............ shot themselves in the foot.

I don't think anyone doubts that CGC will make all the games they have sold but haven't they effectively done this, taking money for Pulp Fiction before Cactus Canyon orders have been fulfilled?
Not sure, but if the have, the risk is clearly the same.

I don't think anyone who paid for non-existent games in the last decade had any doubts about any of the multiple companies that have gone bust following this model tbh. But then it flips from no-doubts to issuing lawsuits very quickly.

Getting a little of the actual topic here but for these aforementioned reasons I haven’t gone in on PF as I am no longer prepared to wait any longer. My mate Billy has been waiting almost a year and a half for his CCr which no doubt will arrive, will look beautiful, will play flawless and will be build like a tank (not a galactic one).

But 1-3 years waiting sees pins like GZ and Foo come and go and even possibly 2 more Stern cornerstones before CCR drops.
The smart money is to get whats available now, not shelling out deposits and playing the waiting game. CCr orders have already changed hands as some have just gave up and lost the FOMO and TBH I don’t blame them as lesson learned.

Getting a little of the actual topic here but for these aforementioned reasons I haven’t gone in on PF as I am no longer prepared to wait any longer. My mate Billy has been waiting almost a year and a half for his CCr which no doubt will arrive, will look beautiful, will play flawless and will be build like a tank (not a galactic one).

But 1-3 years waiting sees pins like GZ and Foo come and go and even possibly 2 more Stern cornerstones before CCR drops.
The smart money is to get whats available now, not shelling out deposits and playing the waiting game. CCr orders have already changed hands as some have just gave up and lost the FOMO and TBH I don’t blame them as lesson learned.
^^^^ 100% this

Yeah, I'm with you Col.

I'll contradict myself here because I have ordered Pulp Fiction but it's not through fear of missing out because the base model isn't anywhere near as popular.

But having a game in your house is worth so much more than a mythical imagined machine on a waiting list. I phoned Phil and asked about Fathom and he honestly couldn't give me a time for delivery so it wasn't an option no matter how much I wanted one.

I have certainly been guilty of the thinking the next release will be the best game yet but they rarely are. I have Godzilla, Deadpool & Aerosmith sat in the cave and they're all great games.

But I'm playing Roadshow and Soprano's pretty much exclusively every day and before that Dolly was my favourite game.

I'm looking forward to Foo Fighters arriving but no more than getting the Eight Ball deluxe shopped and back home.

My point is that I've learnt there are enough games out there not to worry about waiting 18 months . . . . . 18 months is a long time playing some pretty decent games.

As for the new stuff. . . .Valhalla now or Tank force in 2024 . . . there's no competition.

It’s all fake FOMO anyway, I can’t think of one game that’s been released that once actually landed in the U.K. has not come up for sale at some point. You can always purchase these games at some point (probably not far after the original owner waited years for it)

Just a waiting game. Buy what you can now and enjoy it. And buy the new **** in a few years time when it’s actually physically available. I really don’t understand the whole deposits and even paying full for something that’s years away.

I have certainly been guilty of the thinking the next release will be the best game yet but they rarely are. I have Godzilla, Deadpool & Aerosmith sat in the cave and they're all great games.
I’ve kinda been there, done that, with board gaming. We had 850 games at one point and it was just a culture of ‘Cult of the New’ and ‘FOMO’ (Fear of Missing Out). Everyone just buying the next new thing, playing it once or twice, and moving on.

As board games are much (MUCH) cheaper than pins (although I have sold a game that was as much as an EM!), there was a lot more buying, selling and trading than there is here. Every now and then, you got a genuine innovation in design (e.g. deckbuilding, which is basically the Elwin of board gaming), and then just billions of variants of the same thing. I got disillusioned buying stuff eventually because the possibilities were mostly a lot more enticing than the real games.

With pinball, I’ve now reviewed 117 different pins (and I’ll have played more, but not enough to form an impression) and there’s only a handful I want to play enough to have in the house - and they’re not usually the newest ones either. That said, my experience is that if I carry on liking something that much, I will always like it that much. I’ve had Mage Knight and Blue Moon in my top five board games for nearly a decade. So, anyone who owns a beat-up Fathom who wants to wait 18 months to get a new Fathom, that is 100% worthwhile.
As for the new stuff. . . .Valhalla now or Tank force in 2024 . . . there's no competition.
It’s a shame you don’t have access to hundreds of pins within cycling distance, as we do, as I’m happy to wait 18 months to own things I’m permanently playing on location. There are pins that just suck all the air out the room because, if I see them on location, I won’t play anything else. And, at that point, I’m better owning the pin so I have the emotional time to try some other stuff.

It’s all fake FOMO anyway, I can’t think of one game that’s been released that once actually landed in the U.K. has not come up for sale at some point. You can always purchase these games at some point (probably not far after the original owner waited years for it)

Just a waiting game. Buy what you can now and enjoy it. And buy the new **** in a few years time when it’s actually physically available. I really don’t understand the whole deposits and even paying full for something that’s years away.
Flip side to this is if your purely doing it to make a profit. Ie just buying to sit then sell at a profit.

Afaik the U.K.-bound Fathoms are ready to build now and will be shipped to PP in Nevada. Then put in a container for here. Arriving maybe September time?
I noticed that it looked like @philpalmer had some mermaid edition/a mermaid edition in stock now.

That said, having played an original Fathom and starting the process of doing major work on an Alien Poker, including a recoding plan, I don’t think this has been done very sensitively. The callouts have no resemblance to the original ’Dive again’ sound effects. The music doesn’t suit the pin, The apron LCDs seem wholly unnecessary and the strobing lighting is overkill. It looks like someone saw TNA and decided to copy the entire vibe without understanding the differing character of the machines. TNA is all about replicating the 8-bit feel of retro 80s shooters. Fathom is about… erm, exploring undersea caves and meeting mermaids.

It’s quite a relaxed machine, so I’d go for a musical backdrop like this, but with more bubbles/ocean waves sound effects:

I genuinely don’t know how they can have the budget to commission sound effects and not make even a token effort to respond to the theme of the pin. The Aussie callout guy didn’t even make a token effort to sound like an Aussie diver/undersea creature - at least I‘d have attempted a funny voice.

The Beatles Seawitch pin had it exactly right, to be honest. Retro done correctly. Well done, Stern, for not messing that up.

don’t think this has been done very sensitively. The callouts have no resemblance to the original ’Dive again’ sound effects. The music doesn’t suit the pin, The apron LCDs seem wholly unnecessary and the strobing lighting is overkill. It looks like someone saw TNA and decided to copy the entire vibe without understanding the differing character of the machines.
It does play the original game too but agreed the updated version does nothing for the game

So, I'm late to this party. A guy in the US posted his mermaid edition and have to say its got my attention. Getting one is another story though.

Anyone declaring they are getting one on this island?

Out of curiosity, is Haggis Fathom an actual pinball machine that will be available at some point soon in the UK? I personally feel it’s too expensive for a remake of a classic, even one I really like, but right now it also feels like vapourware.

Out of curiosity, is Haggis Fathom an actual pinball machine that will be available at some point soon in the UK? I personally feel it’s too expensive for a remake of a classic, even one I really like, but right now it also feels like vapourware.

Back
Top Bottom