What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I had my first request to join an Octopus Energy Saving Session. They say: For every unit of power you don't use, you'll earn 1800 OctoPoints.

I have turned off everything on standby and not cooking/washing anything. Dropped my usage to 330W for Fridges/Freezers/Alarm/CCTV etc.

This would be easy on a normal house, you might be washing and cooking from 5-6 pm, so use 3kW, delaying those may see you use less, let's call it 3 units.

The Tesla PowerWall is currently exporting to the grid ~3.6kW, so by consuming less, I am exporting more. But will I get OctoPoints for the delta? I will report back.

I had my first request to join an Octopus Energy Saving Session. They say: For every unit of power you don't use, you'll earn 1800 OctoPoints.

I have turned off everything on standby and not cooking/washing anything. Dropped my usage to 330W for Fridges/Freezers/Alarm/CCTV etc.

This would be easy on a normal house, you might be washing and cooking from 5-6 pm, so use 3kW, delaying those may see you use less, let's call it 3 units.

The Tesla PowerWall is currently exporting to the grid ~3.6kW, so by consuming less, I am exporting more. But will I get OctoPoints for the delta? I will report back.
Yeah i got same msg from 5-6, but how do they know if your load was low or not? everyone's load is different, do they compare your load from other days between 5-6?
I totally forgot about it LOL but looks like gf not turned anything heavy on so should not be 2 bad :D

Does the system know that on a Tuesday the kid gets in later and all the power hungry devices are not started until later??

Looks like I have to wait a few days to see how well I did. By my measurements, we used about 360W over the hour vs 1750W yesterday during the same hour

My problem is that I use absolutely nothing until my Battery is topped up at 12:30 when my cheap rate kicks of 7.1p per KWh kicks in.
So although I accepted the offer I’m not sure how I can save any less than I am already!
I guess I will see at the end of this trial period whether it’s a fruitless outcome for cases like mine.

I have no idea how it works but I now have 296 OctoPoints for a 100% reduction in use (according to their scoring) worth £0.37. It will take something to do better, even turning off all power will only slightly improve our usage as we were exporting over 3kW at the time.

For anyone who is with EonNext and not had in invitation to join their Energy shift scheme, you might want to check your account settings as Ive just found my smart meter is set to daily readings so im not eligible to join the scheme, Ive just enabled it to half hourly but aso found out they need at least a months worth of readings before they will let you join the scheme.

Ive queried this with EonNext and they say that OfGem prohibits them to automatically configuring anyones account to half hourly reads and the customer has to request it.

I was just running background load at the time, looks like you literally have to flip the main breaker for an hour to earn any points lol not really worth it :D

7D496F48-2DD6-4B7E-B7E2-10CDF9726237.jpeg

Did they give you a target to aim for, some people on the eonnext forum are saying they met their target based on what them checking their smart meter at the start and end of the time period but have had similar messages from Eon saying they didnt meet the target.

I have been looking into our bills as we seem to be paying an awful lot each month (£355 direct debit for gas and electricity, with EDF). Unfortunately EDF only seems to give bills twice a year, when they then adjust the direct debit. They think we will use over 10,000 KWh in electricity over a year! Given we used 2,000 KWh between April and September this seems outrageous.

We do submit monthly readings (though I can't see a way to view past meter readings ?) but I have contacted EDF to try and get the direct debit reviewed by a real person and reduced. Fingers crossed.

Did they give you a target to aim for, some people on the eonnext forum are saying they met their target based on what them checking their smart meter at the start and end of the time period but have had similar messages from Eon saying they didnt meet the target.
Nah just got an text to say saving session from 5-6 no more information really. I assumed it meant like don't cook a roast or put your washing/dryer/dish washer on etc... so we dint, but looks like they want you to literally draw no electric at all LOL

I have been looking into our bills as we seem to be paying an awful lot each month (£355 direct debit for gas and electricity, with EDF). Unfortunately EDF only seems to give bills twice a year, when they then adjust the direct debit. They think we will use over 10,000 KWh in electricity over a year! Given we used 2,000 KWh between April and September this seems outrageous.

We do submit monthly readings (though I can't see a way to view past meter readings ?) but I have contacted EDF to try and get the direct debit reviewed by a real person and reduced. Fingers crossed.

A copy and paste of my comment here from June this year….

I was in arrears with EDF, just shy of 1K, so I increased my DD to get this covered, 3 months later I'm in a small credit. Time to reduce my DD back to around what it really should be....

NO was their answer to my request!

Did and online chat, again the answer was again NO, so had to refer them to their bill that they sent me, divide cost/months = new approximate DD!

All sorted now, but just don't take NO for an answer with these suppliers.

Chris.

@Lecari you’ll quite possibly need to lean on them, ensure you do!

Nah just got an text to say saving session from 5-6 no more information really. I assumed it meant like don't cook a roast or put your washing/dryer/dish washer on etc... so we dint, but looks like they want you to literally draw no electric at all LOL

It looks like Eon gave people information about their average usage for the time and a 40% reducation target, although one post says average was given a sign up, not sure if they meant signing up for the service or agreeing to the scheduled event.

Thats a nice invisible goal post for you to aim for if they just said save energy without giving an actual target.

@Lecari you’ll quite possibly need to lean on them, ensure you do!
Thanks so much for the advice. I am expecting them to not want to do it - I'm sure they'd far rather keep our money! - but it's shocking how much they resisted changing it when you asked!

Our charge per KW seems really good (it's fixed until August 2023), so I just couldn't figure out where this expense was coming from until I looked in more details at the bills. I don't see how they can think we use that much electricity and gas - where did this ridiculous estimate come from? Even at the moment with bills rising, nearly £5k a year for electric and gas for 2 people seems super high!

That's crazy high. You should only pay for what you use, I stopped my Direct debit years ago and just settle the bill monthly.

That's crazy high. You should only pay for what you use, I stopped my Direct debit years ago and just settle the bill monthly.
Same here but only since they started messing about and I was a grand in credit, glad I haven't got a smart meter as they would have forced a prepaid on me by now😂

Looking back through the weeks, Octopus have got it about right. The day was one my kid has a club after school so the saving was really only on our background use which was about 162W down.
For that I earn the £0.37 but with over 200000 taking part, they believed they reduced demand by 108MWh at peak time which is huge. Enough to significantly reduce the strain on the grid if it was struggling. We shouldn’t underestimate how valuable this might be during shortage of gas and as a strategic way to balance the grid.

Sorry if this has been posted already, but this is a long thread .....

Even though I am still on a fixed rate that is below the price cap, I received a £66 credit on my November bill.

The Government's original £400 for everyone scheme has just kicked in. It appears that everyone with a domestic electricity supply automatically gets £66 a month for 6 months.

Even though I am still on a fixed rate that is below the price cap, I received a £66 credit on my November bill.

The Government's original £400 for everyone scheme has just kicked in. It appears that everyone with a domestic electricity supply automatically gets £66 a month for 6 months.
Yeah I think that's correct, does not matter what deal your on or how much you use, if your with an electric company you get the £400 over the 6 months.

You should have gotten it in October aswell.

£66 for first 2 months and then £67 for the remaining 4.

Reactions: DRD
Anyone not on mains gas should be getting their £100 'alternative fuel payment' from the government, paid as a credit via your electricity provider, at some point too. I guess once they work out how on earth they're going to manage the situation where some people have separate gas and electricity providers, so determining whether someone is on mains gas or not becomes complicated and perhaps open to fraud...

Reactions: DRD
Back
Top Bottom