What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
The conspiracy theory is that the WEF have that as an intent. I had to search for it again but Ida Auken was trying to provoke a discussion about how the future was heading. It has some possible positive and lot of negatives about the way we are going. Everything a service, Airbnb house sharing. Food delivery. But the quote is lost to new readers if you don’t read the rest of the piece. It just becomes the title.
I am not sure the original piece but here is a copy: https://www.forbes.com/sites/worlde...ifferently-well-live-in-2030/?sh=285fc8981735

i’m not convinced about tesla power wall. it’s like panels are dc low voltage. inverted to mains to charge a powerwall thst has to turn the 235v ac back to lower v dc, to store in battery. they ti use it has to reverse all tgat to a/c mains. surely better for your panels to pump their ex straight into a dc battery. ??????

Totally agree. A dc panels to dc battery charge, which then goes once through an inverter to power your ac house would have a lot less losses.
We can measure them as the PowerWall is very accurate with data. My solar inverter is a SolarEdge system which is also very accurate.
I will get a spreadsheet going.

Nice sunny day today :)
Battery charged, hot water heated, now putting excess onto the grid. Gf did all her washing at correct time as well so all good :)

If stays sunny should get close to 30kw generated today.

46F76EDF-B9BF-48D4-9A5D-675D770A4688.jpeg

Last edited:
Shame we don't have a battery 20kw today so far, still generating 3kw

I know my battery storage uses ac input and converts to dc for the battery and then back to ac again for usage, but ots supposed to be about 97% efficient for conversion.

I'm not sure if direct dc from solar panels to dc for battery is going to be much more efficient as you would still need something that would drop the high voltage DC from the solar panels anything from 90v upto 500v down to the nominal 48v used in most storage batteries, not sure on the Tesla power wall what voltage the battery runs at. Also I think this would add more cost to the system as the ac inverter circuit is already in there and you would still need it if directly dc charging the battery.

I have just looked at the data and I can't quite work it out as my battery is being charged from the grid and then discharges back to the grid during peak time. For this, I get to buy and sell units for £0.1124 but there are obviously some losses in the conversion into storage and then back. These get mixed up my own solar that would be being put into the storage and then back.

The Tesla Gateway see's 96.3% of the power the Solaredge solar inverter sees. This might be inaccuracies in measuring but may well be the conversion from DC to AC. Not far off the 97% you mention @Fantazia2

When I try to look at the energy going into the battery and coming out over the day, this might be from solar or from the grid charging, I know how much it has been discharged that day. This seems to be 89% efficient. It fluctuates from 88% to 91% without any correlation to the amount discharged from the battery.
To put this into some perspective, the process of charging and discharging of the battery (controls by Tesla via Octopus) loses on average, 1.2kW of energy a day. Not too bad due to the other benefits such as £0.1124 a kW.

Seems I’m just throwing too much electric away so decided to order a non vented water tank so we literally have hot water on tap.
Plumber hopefully here next week to price up the job and it sounds like it’s not gonna be cheap as tank is around £500 alone without fitting.
I guess it negates the gas combi so further savings should be had but more the fact I hate throwing so much away to the grid for a pittance.
I’ve generated over 31.2kwh today alone with just under a third of that being consumed and the total this month alone so far (8days) is 245.1KWh
Battery has kept me off grid since being installed and a further 5.6KW one still to be added so looking at shoving it over on peak times for a decent return and maybe force charging overnight at 7.5p per KWh.

More graphs off today showing battery still at 47% at 11pm at lights out bedtime.

4722D9FD-A065-46AB-80FB-FD838C90AA20.jpeg2D3141F2-7F93-4682-BA22-B879B1BA53C6.jpeg

Seems I’m just throwing too much electric away so decided to order a non vented water tank so we literally have hot water on tap.
Plumber hopefully here next week to price up the job and it sounds like it’s not gonna be cheap as tank is around £500 alone without fitting.
I guess it negates the gas combi so further savings should be had but more the fact I hate throwing so much away to the grid for a pittance.
I’ve generated over 31.2kwh today alone with just under a third of that being consumed and the total this month alone so far (8days) is 245.1KWh
Battery has kept me off grid since being installed and a further 5.6KW one still to be added so looking at shoving it over on peak times for a decent return and maybe force charging overnight at 7.5p per KWh.

More graphs off today showing battery still at 47% at 11pm at lights out bedtime.

View attachment 177560View attachment 177561
That graph shows why battery storage is so important and is very much like most of mine, where a big bulk of energy usage is in the evening (once sun gone down) usually due to cooking dinner. Without the battery you would just be spending money and not using any of your solar energy.

With your new hot water tank which solar diverter product are you going with? Ie you will use excess energy to heat this water via its immersion heater?

@Colywobbles - what are the orange and green lines in the graph above - "grid power" and "ac power(on grid) " - I dont understand whihc one shows you what you are pulling from the grid and which one is what you are exporting to the grid?

PS - got my first quote today. 7.2Kw panels and 6.6kwh battery £13,200. he started off at over £15,500 but it soon came down! Got 3 more companies to come and quote.

The guy yesterday made a schoolboy error - they looked at google maps, which is well out of date and doesnt show my latest extension:

Ie he had:
1660030641951.png

Should have had:
1660030796994.png

So they had to do their design on the fly. Ended up with 12 panels on the south facing and 6 on the east facing roof.

They refused to go any bigger due to the DNO requirements. Given the size of my house, my roof space and my high usage, I think I really need a bigger system, but will be interested to see what the next suppliers say.

PS - got my first quote today. 7.2Kw panels and 6.6kwh battery £13,200. he started off at over £15,500 but it soon came down! Got 3 more companies to come and quote.

The guy yesterday made a schoolboy error - they looked at google maps, which is well out of date and doesnt show my latest extension:

Ie he had:
View attachment 177566

Should have had:
View attachment 177567

So they had to do their design on the fly. Ended up with 12 panels on the south facing and 6 on the east facing roof.

They refused to go any bigger due to the DNO requirements. Given the size of my house, my roof space and my high usage, I think I really need a bigger system, but will be interested to see what the next suppliers say.
Wow that's a decent sized system and pretty good price tbh (does that include installation?) i paid bit under that for just a 4.8kw pv + 5.8kw battery! I really want an extra panel to make it a 5.2kw system though :D

I can sorta see why you use so much gas/electric now your house is like 2 normal sized houses together! LOL pretty big area to heat/power.

Wow that's a decent sized system and pretty good price tbh (does that include installation?) i paid bit under that for just a 4.8kw pv + 5.8kw battery! I really want an extra panel to make it a 5.2kw system though :D

I can sorta see why you use so much gas/electric now your house is like 2 normal sized houses together! LOL pretty big area to heat/power.

Doesnt explain the 6 Fridge Freezers though.

Doesnt explain the 6 Fridge Freezers though.
One fridge in the kitchen
one freezer in the kitchen
beer fridge in the pinball room
fridge freezer in the garage for “overflow” of food and booze (it’s full)
2 x wine conditioning fridges in the garage for my best red wines.
Simples 😂😂

Done some usage monitoring on the fridges. They cost hardly anything to run to be honest.

Worst culprits for electricity usage:
1. electric oven
2. induction hob
3. tumble dryer
4. hot tub
5. washing machine
6. kettle
7. actifry air fryer
8. toaster
9. george forman grill

I bought an Air Fryer a few months ago. One of the best purchases i think ive made... half the capacity and half the power of an oven, and perfect for a couple of people if throwing something in...

I bought an Air Fryer a few months ago. One of the best purchases i think ive made... half the capacity and half the power of an oven, and perfect for a couple of people if throwing something in...
They make brilliant roast potatoes with a tablespoon of oil!

They make brilliant roast potatoes with a tablespoon of oil!
I did Jackets on Sunday... similar however 4 mins in the Microwave, Rub over with oil and then another 15 in the Airfryer... Fluffy insides with crunchy Skin.. Lovely!

Reactions: JT.
@Colywobbles - what are the orange and green lines in the graph above - "grid power" and "ac power(on grid) " - I dont understand whihc one shows you what you are pulling from the grid and which one is what you are exporting to the grid?
I can partially explain this one
1660059958989.png

Yellow - pv power input (power from panels)
Purple - house load (ie lights washing machine etc... what ever is using power. Does not include charging battery!)
Orange - power going back into the grid (ie export)
Blue - Battery charge percentage (can see it dropping over night, then charging once sun out) It usually does not drop this much but we have fans on as so hot!)

So on the above graph you can quite clearly see it charging the battery until about 11am once battery is full my load (purple) jumps up this will be the immersion diverter kicking in and heating the hot water, once that is complete (around 12.25) It now starts to dump the excess power i am not using onto the grid (orange power)

(I don't find the green ac power one very useful or even fully understand it tbh) I usually just turn it off

Yup are fantastic for solar as use far less energy then big oven plus warm up time is far quick and even cooking is far quicker, so the device uses less energy and is on for far less time win win!!! we use ours loads now!

I always thought they would be rubbish, I’m going to have to look at getting one👍

I always thought they would be rubbish, I’m going to have to look at getting one👍
Probably depends on brand etc.. but a good one is amazing, its exactly the same as a oven i guess just smaller so heats up faster needs less energy etc.. but does same job, You wont be cooking no roast dinner in it but for most meals its amazing, and we find chips come out proper crunchy in it but in oven they always soft and ****ty LOL we love it!

I've got a Ninja Foodi 8 in 1 Flip Mini Oven, gets used 3 times a day most days - breakfast bagel, toast at dinner and used as an oven at tea time. I've only used the air fryer option a couple of times, prefer the oven setting for most of my meals. I got mine for £135 when it was on offer.

I've got a Ninja Foodi 8 in 1 flip mini oven, gets used 3 times a day most days - breakfast bagel, toast at dinner and oven at tea time. I've only used the air fryer option a couple of times, prefer the oven setting for most of my meals. I got mine for £135 when it was on offer.

used to use those (****ty ones, not nice ones like this LOL) for pcb reflow! never put food in it :D

Okay - for those who do not know. A basic 'what it costs' lesson. I would imagine most of you will know this, but just in case you do not.

Look at your appliance for how many watts or kilowatts it is.

Let us use @Marvello 's mini oven.

That is 2400 watts according to the website.

That is 2.4 kilowatts.

Multiply your unit price (lets say 27p) with the kilowatts.

27 x 2.4 = 64.8p an hour maximum.

Or a 3kw electric fire:

27 x 3 = 81p an hour maximum (if run on full without the thermostat kicking in).

Anything with heating elecments takes up a lot of energy. Drier, kettle, heater, oven, shower.

Okay - for those who do not know. A basic 'what it costs' lesson. I would imagine most of you will know this, but just in case you do not.

Look at your appliance for how many watts or kilowatts it is.

Let us use @Marvello 's mini oven.

That is 2400 watts according to the website.

That is 2.4 kilowatts.

Multiply your unit price (lets say 27p) with the kilowatts.

27 x 2.4 = 64.8p an hour maximum.

Or a 3kw electric fire:

27 x 3 = 81p an hour maximum (if run on full without the thermostat kicking in).

Anything with heating elecments takes up a lot of energy. Drier, kettle, heater, oven, shower.
Electic showers can be killers, good old hot bath is what you want :D (solar heated of course makes the bath even better hahahaha)

Probably depends on brand etc.. but a good one is amazing, its exactly the same as a oven i guess just smaller so heats up faster needs less energy etc.. but does same job, You wont be cooking no roast dinner in it but for most meals its amazing, and we find chips come out proper crunchy in it but in oven they always soft and ****ty LOL we love it!
Will be looking into it but I have a built in Neff fat fryer here so amazing chips etc but have heard they do nice chips that are healthier and will probably use less consumption so worth a try👍

Back
Top Bottom