What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Will be looking into it but I have a built in Neff fat fryer here so amazing chips etc but have heard they do nice chips that are healthier and will probably use less consumption so worth a try👍
Now this is the same argument for real pin vs vpins.

Real chips fried - nothing better.
Hot air frier - still good. But nothing beats the real thing.

Now this is the same argument for real pin vs vpins.

Real chips fried - nothing better.
Hot air frier - still good. But nothing beats the real thing.
And this fat fryer was fitted in 1990 and still going strong but I have changed all the other appliances except the cooker hood which is also amazing😂

Attachments

• E4AB2502-F858-48A7-A0A7-858E7169057C.jpeg
    E4AB2502-F858-48A7-A0A7-858E7169057C.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 35
Supposed to have two companies visiting me today,

10:00 appt didn’t turn up. rang and left a VM at 10:03 to say his wife was i’ll and he was taking her to A&E

17:30 appt: his office just called. he’s sat in traffic on the M62, won’t get here until about 6:30. I Decided to postpone as that’s just too late.

One other company have sent me a comprehensive quote based on the web enquiry i made. They’ve not even spoken to me to clarify anything !!!

Cowboy city.

Not convinced on the air fryers. Bought one two years ago and it barely gets used. Chips etc are no where near as good as with a deep fat fryer.
Occasionally useful if you don’t want to stick the oven on but jut really a game changer.

10:00 appt didn’t turn up. rang and left a VM at 10:03 to say his wife was i’ll and he was taking her to A&E

17:30 appt: his office just called. he’s sat in traffic on the M62, won’t get here until about 6:30. I Decided to postpone as that’s just too late.

One other company have sent me a comprehensive quote based on the web enquiry i made. They’ve not even spoken to me to clarify anything !!!

Cowboy city.
When I was arranging mine there was like a 2 month waiting list and when the installers came they said it was up to 5 months and getting hard to source parts. Sounds like everyone is looking into it with the crazy energy price hikes. I think some of these company's are becoming overwhelmed.

When I was arranging mine there was like a 2 month waiting list and when the installers came they said it was up to 5 months and getting hard to source parts. Sounds like everyone is looking into it with the crazy energy price hikes. I think some of these company's are becoming overwhelmed.
Solar is the new double glazing...cowboys everywhere....find a firm backed up by trust pilot and ideally local with local references....this thread alone should help find reputable suppliers... just another fringe benefit of this awesome forum!

Cowboy city.
I think a lot of trades people have got worse since we lost so many back to Eastern Europe post-Brexit - no competition, so they can be total crap and still get work.

I had a painter booked in the spring to do my external window frames - a day before he was due to start, got a text to say he had covid and would be self-isolating. Fair enough, people get unlucky...He then turned up two weeks later and did 1.5 days of prep work before leaving early "to go and get the paint". He then did one more day, before texting late on to say his wife had booked him a surprise 50th birthday party at Centre Parcs, so disappeared for two days. He then did another half day before leaving early, again "to go and get the paint", before finally sending a text to say his dad had "unexpectedly died from cancer".

I know cancer is a killer, but unexpected overnight deaths from it?!? Anyway, we didn't hear from him for a month before I messaged him to ask if he was coming back. Got a blah blah blah reply so gave up on him and did the painting myself. It turned out that the prep work he had done was so bad that I had to redo it all anyway.

His ladders are still sat on my drive 4 months later, so I presume in reality he just got a different job. If the ladders aren't gone by the end of Aug, they're going on ebay - any money received can cover for the hassle factor of this clown.

Anyone with a solar power diverter for Emmersion/towel rails etc?

Eddi / Immerson / iBoost ?

yes i use an i boost works great
iBoost here as well and my gf dad uses it, appears to do the job well not had any issues with it yet and super easy to install :) (the sender clamp being bluetooth is great as no wire to electric box!!)

Just don't put the clamp on backwards like it did!!!!! as it will do the opposite of what you want and start heating your water when your importing energy not exporting LOL)

I have an Myenergi Eddi but have had to disable it as since moving to the Tesla Energy Scheme, as they purposely discharge my battery, the system would take that as a signal to heat water.

Nice perfect curve today :) it used to cap at just over 4Kw now just under not sure if that’s to do with sun position etc.. and we slowly coming out of summer, I guess it just gets lower a little bit each day?

Aircon on tonight so thought I’d twat the battery a little bit :D will turn off when get down to 50%

C03EC475-A0EF-42F4-8B8E-D025D6B93007.jpeg

I have an Myenergi Eddi but have had to disable it as since moving to the Tesla Energy Scheme, as they purposely discharge my battery, the system would take that as a signal to heat water.

Can you not reinstall the clamp upstream of the tesla battery so it still detects when your exporting, although I suppose if you are on a special tarrif where they control your battery thats not going to work is it, I guess Ive just answered my own question there.

If that is the case I wonder if anyone has made any special version that compares export to solar production so only works when the solar panels are producing, but then again if they pull power from your battery during the day at peak times, thats not going to work either.

^ Is this not academic with the Tesla scheme, as the import and export tariffs are the same?

One could argue it would be *better to export the electricity take the export money and then heat the water with gas bought in at a cheaper unit cost in to electric export?

* on cost grounds

Last edited:
^ Is this not academic with the Tesla scheme, as the import and export tariffs are the same?

One could argue it would be *better to export the electricity take the export money and then heat the water with gas bought in at a cheaper unit cost in to electric export?

* on cost grounds
I tried to work this out

I get on avg 20p per kw exported, and it takes about 3kw to heat the hot water via immersion heater so if that energy did not go directly to hot water it would be 60p in credit, Need to work out would 60p of gas heat my hot water?

I tried to work this out

I get on avg 20p per kw exported, and it takes about 3kw to heat the hot water via immersion heater so if that energy did not go directly to hot water it would be 60p in credit, Need to work out would 60p of gas heat my hot water?

For me at 03p/KWh for gas I think 60p would heat far more than one tank of water. It’s approximately 1Kw to heat 25L of water from ‘ambient’ to ‘normal’ hot water temperature. But this is all a bit off, as in your case it’s about using ‘surplus’ electricity to heat the water, where as on the Tesla tariff there is no such thing as surplus due to import/export being the same.

I have to say I’m rather fascinated by all this solar PV malarkey and especially so with batteries, I’m rather tempted myself! I have a lot of south facing roof that could be utilised, decisions, decisions……

Very interesting reading different peoples experiences here, I do like the sound of the Tesla tariff, more research required!

To clarify.
Yes, there is technically no excess, it makes more economical sense to just export and use the grid as the battery than try to use it to heat the hot water.
I could get it to do it when the house is using less than the solar generation, upstream of the Tesla gateway but it is cheaper to use gas.
When the cost of gas goes up in October, I will re-evaluate as I expect it to be cheaper to heat with electric on my tariff.
And I expect 1kW of gas to be only 80% efficient via the boiler. The system is a condenser boiler but I don’t trust it gets better than 90% and then heat is lost in the pipes to the tank.

Just begs more questions really.
1) Do all new systems that export to the grid get treated the same way?
ie. all providers cough up
2) Do providers pay the same rate as each other?
3) Who sets the rate?

Appreciate this may have been covered in previous posts

No, the export tarrifs are not equal.
5-7p was usual. That excludes the awesome FITs from many years ago.
Octopus are doing a surge export price which is what @russdx1 is quoting. Makes a lot of sense.

Thought that was more like it. Good luck to those who can export when demand is high.

Got a mate who gets 50p/Kw generated on the old FIT scheme. Been creaming it in for years

No, the export tarrifs are not equal.
5-7p was usual. That excludes the awesome FITs from many years ago.
Octopus are doing a surge export price which is what @russdx1 is quoting. Makes a lot of sense.
Yup I shopped around when looking for an export tariff and octopus were the best plus I was already with them so made sense to go with them. Took a while to setup though!!

Its all misdirection what will be will be. Probably best off to try and ignore the media they're only there for a reason and it's not for your benefit.

Ring up your supplier and see what they can offer you. I just fixed until 2024 at a rate that's a little more than my previous "bust" supplier.

Back
Top Bottom