What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Think i'll just ride the cap :D
Not sure what energy data they use to estimate that 5k as it can't be last 3 months... hehe 70p a kw, that is some scary ****! and 19p for gas, i remember when this was like 3p!

1660551608214.png

Its pretty much an empty demand I would say, theres nothing he can do I dont think, so he just trying to make himself look good in the eyes of the public by "demanding" the price cap freeze knowing full well that it wont happen and he wont get blamed for it not happening.

Crazy that electric on that tarrif is over 5x what I was paying less than a year ago.

Thought that was more like it. Good luck to those who can export when demand is high.

Got a mate who gets 50p/Kw generated on the old FIT scheme. Been creaming it in for years

It's currently 60.23p plus 4.25p for exported!

Think i'll just ride the cap :D
Not sure what energy data they use to estimate that 5k as it can't be last 3 months... hehe 70p a kw, that is some scary ****! and 19p for gas, i remember when this was like 3p!

View attachment 177950
So my 17KW Air Source Heat pump @70.62p could cost nearly £12 a hour! And they want us to move to this instead of boilers!

So my 17KW Air Source Heat pump @70.62p could cost nearly £12 a hour! And they want us to move to this instead of boilers!
That’s crazy, I have a 13kw multi fuel burner and I made a ton of anthracite last the whole winter last year for £400 heating a lot of space.

Not quite.

It will be rated at 17KW heat output, likely its max power input will be a 3rd of that so roughly about 5.5KW of electric.

Heat pumps are very efficient at converting electric into heat, unfortunately that efficiency goes down when it is colder outside.

Not quite.

It will be rated at 17KW heat output, likely its max power input will be a 3rd of that so roughly about 5.5KW of electric.

Heat pumps are very efficient at converting electric into heat, unfortunately that efficiency goes down when it is colder outside.
I can't have a smart meter fitted so I don't have an accurate cost of how much.

looked at octopus. can’t understand their different products. what’s the difference?

getting solar quotes through now. all very similar. no one wants to quote for a system bigger than 7kw panels and 3.6kw invertor cos of the DNO approval required

looked at octopus. can’t understand their different products. what’s the difference?

getting solar quotes through now. all very similar. no one wants to quote for a system bigger than 7kw panels and 3.6kw invertor cos of the DNO approval required
I was under the impression you need DNO approval no matter what your system is as all the energy companies will want this cert before you can export, Or is over 7kw classed as none commercial and harder to get approval maybe? Either way to be able to export (going by what Octopus want) You need a DNO cert and a MCS cert.

Under a point is a No Works DNO, so just paper work. My system didn’t need a visit jus paperwork from the certified fitter.

Yes, Octopus offer a lot of different tariffs, not all well described.
Email them in their contact address, they are pretty good at responding quickly.

Based on rough calculations, will you be a net importer or exporter?
Can you remain off grid during the peak times from batteries charged off peak?
How does low sun in winter look vs optimal sun days?
My average month is still net import but I could charge my battery and just stay off grid during the day and until after peak. So a cheap EV tariff might have worked for import. Mixed with a good export tariff.

My local DNO is Northern Powergrid and these are their rules.

Upto 800w is not notifiable at all.

Up to 16Amps(3.68KW) on single phase circuit (11Kw for 3 Phase) you can connect straight away and you then have 28 days to report the installation to the DNO and give details of the installation including proving that the Inverter is certificed for UK generation.

Over 16Amps per circuit you need to apply before you can connect to your supply and you have to pay a fee starting from £650(+vat)

For the upto 16Amps Im not sure if you cant install an Inverter rated for more than that and have a current clamp attached to it to limit export to 16Amps to the grid, i.e. Solar Panels creating 5KW, you only using 0.5KW so normally 4.5KW would be exported but the current clamp limits this to 3.68Kw to comply with regulations. This is part of the certification process, I think its G98, anything over 16Amps is G99.

Last edited:
Under a point is a No Works DNO, so just paper work. My system didn’t need a visit jus paperwork from the certified fitter.
Ah so that's the difference thx for explaining :)
I guess the visit cost extra + delays things...

Finally talked to an installer who wants to install a massive system, they seemed unfazed by the DNO application but did say it's going to cost £650+VAT. He's gone away to design a system based on what he's measured up roof wise.

Finally talked to an installer who wants to install a massive system, they seemed unfazed by the DNO application but did say it's going to cost £650+VAT. He's gone away to design a system based on what he's measured up roof wise.
Following this... sounds like its gonna be a monster install!

I was under the impression you need DNO approval no matter what your system is as all the energy companies will want this cert before you can export, Or is over 7kw classed as none commercial and harder to get approval maybe? Either way to be able to export (going by what Octopus want) You need a DNO cert and a MCS cert.

You might be referring to the MCS Installation certificate here, that is required for you to get the SEG payments from suppliers, if you dont have an MCS installation certificate from an authorised installer the utility companies are not obliged to pay you anything for any exported energy.

Having installed my own system I dont have an MCS certificate so dont get anything for my exported power, but its not required to connect your system to the grid and export excess generated power, all that needs is for the inverter to be G98 certified.

You might be referring to the MCS Installation certificate here, that is required for you to get the SEG payments from suppliers, if you dont have an MCS installation certificate from an authorised installer the utility companies are not obliged to pay you anything for any exported energy.

Having installed my own system I dont have an MCS certificate so dont get anything for my exported power, but its not required to connect your system to the grid and export excess generated power, all that needs is for the inverter to be G98 certified.
Indeed, for me it was the DNO cert that held the process up (the MCS they had no issue with). Octopus energy kept saying it was not correct, but eventually accepted it after 3 weeks.
Can you get a qualified electrician out to confirm your work so you can get a MCS cert as well?

Indeed, for me it was the DNO cert that held the process up (the MCS they had no issue with). Octopus energy kept saying it was not correct, but eventually accepted it after 3 weeks.
Can you get a qualified electrician out to confirm your work so you can get a MCS cert as well?

From what Ive read its not something a electrican can do, found this information for Certificate requirements

Commissioned by an MCS certified Installation Company
Include an MCS certified product
Have a commissioning date after 15th July 2009

So the only way to get a certificate is to have the system designed and installed by an MCS certified installer.

From what Ive read its not something a electrican can do, found this information for Certificate requirements

Commissioned by an MCS certified Installation Company
Include an MCS certified product
Have a commissioning date after 15th July 2009

So the only way to get a certificate is to have the system designed and installed by an MCS certified installer.
Shame you cant have a 'MCS certified installer' check it over and sign it off for a bit of $$$
This is why some of these do it your self systems on ebay etc.. are not so good, you can get them maybe cheaper? and install it your self (a lot cheaper!!!) but then missing all the certs at the end so can't export :(

Seeing some of the quoted install prices I'll likely have saved more on self install that I would get from a small amount of export over the next 20 years going by the current SEG rates.

Its also one of the reasons why I've added the battery storage and immersion diverter to maximise my usage of generated power, along with a change in habits like doing the washing and charging things only done during the day, I need to invest in something like a slow cooker as well.

Seeing some of the quoted install prices I'll likely have saved more on self install that I would get from a small amount of export over the next 20 years going by the current SEG rates.

Its also one of the reasons why I've added the battery storage and immersion diverter to maximise my usage of generated power, along with a change in habits like doing the washing and charging things only done during the day, I need to invest in something like a slow cooker as well.
Your probably not wrong lol, your system will pay for it self far quicker then an installed one for sure.

electricitybars.jpg

Hurray, I've cut my electricity usage - unfortunately those comparison bars aren't to scale - I'll call that one a tie!

I've been on a 1 year fixed tariff, and its my gas direct debit that is increasing a lot from next month. £52 [seems like a price from another era now] to £157 per month.

We cut usage too
6/4 to date 3573kWh, vs 6016kWh last year. Approx 40% reduction.

Lots of LED bulbs, careful whats left on, turned hot tub off!

My friend had no idea how much his hot tub was using. Any electrical heating is using a lot.
We have a drying room with a dehumidifier that is largely efficient and that also uses a lot over the course of the year.

I know loads of older folks with an electric heater to boost temperatures vs whole house heating. They are going to be stung this winter

My friend had no idea how much his hot tub was using. Any electrical heating is using a lot.
We have a drying room with a dehumidifier that is largely efficient and that also uses a lot over the course of the year.

I know loads of older folks with an electric heater to boost temperatures vs whole house heating. They are going to be stung this winter
My parents hot tub (quite big) was £2.50 a day to run.

Back
Top Bottom