What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
14000 !?!? My household is 3700. Surely that can't be right. Yours is round about 4x mine! Sounds like you're powering the entire street! I think you need to investigate where all that is going.
We’ve a big old farmhouse, however all heating/hot water and ovens are on gas so bar a few extra freezers for work I’ve no freakin’ idea.

@PAX

I have an economy 7 electricity meter but only one night storage heater. I was surprised at how much night time power I was using. My last tariff was not an economy 7 one, you are not forced to have a dual tariff unless you want one.

So I investigated the standby power consumption of various items last year. Have a look at this old thread .....

If folk are surprised at their electricity consumption, the place to start looking is electric heaters

You can adjust your storage heaters so they take less ‘charge’ but then they are not as hot so you have work out when is best for what input setting. We have a few here that are 30 years old and still going but replaced most of them with panel heaters with built in timers in the bedrooms.

Immersion heater is a big user of power, make sure your thermostat isn’t getting the water too hot as this will cost extra to run. Changed our stat quite a few times over the years as they just don’t last long causing the water to get too hot and sometimes resetting/cutting off.

I built my pinroom inside my garage, basically a room inside a massive garage. I only insulated it with rock wool lagging and put carpet tiles straight onto the concrete floor which I know is really deep and it uses hardly anything to keep heated. Fan heater on 1kw setting only comes on now and again for about 16c in winter, if that was outside it would be a different story! Stays cool in summer too, like walking into an air conditioned room. Got lucky with that one.

This was my annualised and averaged usage when i swapped a few months back: -

1633093043070.png

I have a Hon Evo Central heating control systems with motorised rad valves in every room, all individually controlled. Its a good size 4 bed detached house from the early 80s i think.

I too was on Green and have been moved to Shell. No option to move away from them was presented. Just going to see what happens next before i make any decisions.

JB

Just got notified by Shell, having taking over my Green account, concerning their latest 'Flexible Tariffs'. Est. usage based on previous years usage and previous tariffs show that our electricery bill will have doubled from same time roughly in 2020: -

Yikes!!!!

1633610784720.png

Tariffs: -

1633611375160.png

It's the Electrical units that are the killer Seal...

Not sure yet, not had a chance to look. TBH i can't see that its going to be better any where else... Is anyone that has swapped in eth last 5 days managed to get a fixed rate deal, equal to or better than the attached?

Is getting on a fixed price deal even a good idea atm? Are gas and elec prices expected to go back down or continue up? £Million question I guess.

i don't think they are coming down any time soon. Pootin will give us only enough rope to hang ourselves on...

My energy company IGLOO has just gone and I am in the process of moving (automatically moved) to EON Next Flex. According to the mail they will put me onto their cheapest variable tariff and that the rates will be fixed until March... the rates do not seem too bad in todays market although they will probably 'magically' go up just before the switch I am sure....

Utilities warehouse appear to be the cheapest at the moment but I want to make sure that my credit balance does not get lost by switching before the automated switch.

1633613025310.png

My fixed rate is coming to an end in November. Going to be paying £1k more once the current tariffs end. Had a look around and the pricing is more or less the same if I switched...

@Big Phil that is what i thought. If there is a marked difference, it may indicate that the company will go bust later in the year...

Once we're moved to Shell from Green, Switchcraft say they will keep an eye out for better deals and switch us automatically when the savings are worth having.

Been having hassle with Bulb keeping too much credit and not playing ball and no contact so we cancelled the direct debit, the next day would you believe they get in touch saying if we set the direct debit back up and once they have taken the next payment they will reimburse us the credit😂
How about NO!
See how long we can go without them hassling us, about 2-3 months in credit/£800 ish.

Going to try and sip electric for a while, getting crazy expensive. Checking prices and it makes me feel🤮

Just ordered a ton of anthracite, there goes another £400.

Been having hassle with Bulb keeping too much credit and not playing ball and no contact so we cancelled the direct debit, the next day would you believe they get in touch saying if we set the direct debit back up and once they have taken the next payment they will reimburse us the credit😂
How about NO!
See how long we can go without them hassling us, about 2-3 months in credit/£800 ish.

Going to try and sip electric for a while, getting crazy expensive. Checking prices and it makes me feel🤮

That Martin Lewis was on ITV this morning. Reckons that Bulb are in serious trouble, sounds like they are raising DDs to try and keep trading.

How about NO!

That's how i burned through any credit i had left (only £50 or so) they still complain monthly about the DD but i pay every month and all is well..

Switched from Outfoxthemarket on 1st Oct, they’d been in touch to confirm I was leaving, cheeky b’s still tried to take ddr on the 7th even though I’ve 2 months worth of credit already. Glad I’d already cancelled it

We have wood burners in our main rooms...so spending weekends sneaking around the woods collecting logs so we'll be toasty warm over winter 😉

Comparing the shell energy tarrif we're being switched to with everything the price comparison sites have atm the shell tarrif comes out very favourably. It looks like we'll be paying around £129/month for gas and elec ( currently £91/month ).

Back
Top Bottom