What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
We've always been considered high electricity users due to the Hot Tub and the amount of electronics and gadgets we run. Thank god i'm on a fixed rate until the end of February 2022.

Will be interesting to see if the market has improved any by then. I'll be keeping a close eye on things over the winter just to cover my bases.

Don't have gas in my village 🤣
We've been ignoring the looming enegry crisis in this country for years.
As well as investing in populist renewable enegry (not that I'm against it) we should also have been investing in nuclear power, grid storage and a raft of other measures to ensure energy security

Theres a video/article up on the Money Saving Expert site with some advice. Hes saying that there is no point using any of the comparison sites as they are pulling companies info off if they are not paying them any incentives, so you are better off looking on individual supplier sites for the best deals.

There is also the Money saving expert own supplier search that says its whole of market and doesnt rely on incentives so should still be showing all the best fixed deals.

We got solar panels fitted last summer. It was about £6.7k all in for a 4kWh system installed by Mole Valley Farmers Energy. Included in that was an (about £500 extra) ‘Eddi’ which basically diverts power to heating the hot water immersion tank during the day, before sending excess back to the grid. A lot cheaper than a Tesla power wall and still at least storing some of the energy for later (water which would otherwise be heated by gas..) We’re only a household of 2 & with the panels we’ve used 212.5 kw’s from the grid over the year. So averages out at about 17KW / £3.32 a month. Course the monthly DD is more than that and most of the savings will have been made in the summer months. Don’t really know what savings on the gas the eddi has caused - my wife deals with the household bills (she wanted the panels / I wanted the pinball room)

For anyone looking, I’d rate Mole Valley. I think we worked out the panels should pay themselves back within 15-20 years at most. They’ve something like a 20 year guarantee. The Tesla powerwall’s were about 7k (now 8k) and have a 10 year warranty… and not sure how much they’ll hold after 10 years so not as convincing a purchase. Though would mean no reliance on the grid if that’s what you wanted to keep you warm without resorting to an oil drum tyre fire in the remnants of town hall.

yes, there are several gas supply terminals undergoing maintenance and the fact that solar and wind supply is down massively this year.

the real reason for this is green stupidity - we, the UK, have some of the largest natural gas reserves on the planet, but because of green asshats we've not built the infrastructure to collect it so now we're importing Sergei Yuevconman's Russian Gas at $stupidprice.
I work in oil and gas and the statement about the gas reserves in the UK being some of the largest in the world is not correct. Most of the gas is in the Southern North Sea basin, which has been depleted over the last 50 years and is going through huge decommissioning at the moment. Other large gas reserves in the UK are unfortunately not near infrastructure and gas cannot be as easily transported compared with oil. The main issue in the UK is lack of storage capacity for gas (buy in the summer and store it - our imports come mainly from Norway), which leaves the UK open to price fluctuations.

Like everything after COVID, these are extraordinary times for energy prices.

This will hurt low income families the most, as winter approaches.

I work in oil and gas and the statement about the gas reserves in the UK being some of the largest in the world is not correct. Most of the gas is in the Southern North Sea basin, which has been depleted over the last 50 years and is going through huge decommissioning at the moment. Other large gas reserves in the UK are unfortunately not near infrastructure and gas cannot be as easily transported compared with oil. The main issue in the UK is lack of storage capacity for gas (buy in the summer and store it - our imports come mainly from Norway), which leaves the UK open to price fluctuations.

Like everything after COVID, these are extraordinary times for energy prices.

This will hurt low income families the most, as winter approaches.

there is billions of barrels of gas in the North Sea we simply haven’t invested to get it out but it’s starting to happen now. I agree on storage space but we haven’t invested in the North Sea and it’s costing us big time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did quick comparison last night and I'm sharing as below, I found the normal comparison websites not very good Money saving expert's cheap energy club was ok but you still had to visit individual websites? now I understand everyone’s circumstances are different which is why I've kept it to just the Kwh and standing charge

1632206294718.png

I'm currently with Out Fox the market paying 2.36 per Kwh for gas with a standing charge of 18.11p/day the difference was crazy Outfox standard tariff was 7.47 per Kwh with a 27.28 p/day standing charge, now no one wants to be on the standard tariff but this too varied quite a bit highest fixed deal was 5.84 / kwh from Octupus? (I thought they were meant to be cheap?) I’ve ended up going with Eon Next at 3.77 /Kwh still a big increase?

Now the electric really amazed me? firstly I didn’t think i have used as much as we have but with lockdown etc we certainly have? I'm currently with Out fox the market paying 13.20 per Kwh for Electric with a standing charge of 23.37p/day the difference was crazy Outfox standard tariff was 28.75 per Kwh with a 25.26 p/day standing charge, now no one wants to be on the standard tariff but this too varied quite a bit highest fixed deal was 23.41 / kwh from Octupus? (I thought they were meant to be cheap?) I’ve ended up going with Eon Next at 19.21 /Kwh still a big increase?
All in I think the best i could do was about a 50% increase? which will mean about £500 additional I’ll have to find?? if i'd have stayed on the standard Tariff i'd be looking at a £1300 increase?? the next most expensive Octupus would have been a £900 increase?
Also went for a 1 year fixed with no exit fees, which i'm hoping will allow me to leave if? the prices come down.
Anyway, do your homework guys & girls it’s a jungle out there, probably means we have been spoilt with cheap energy for a long time?

one last thing "blatant plug" if you do find the above any help and sign up to Eon please use the referral system below and save yourself & me £50 as we all need the money for important stuff "like Pinball"
I also chose a big name due to uncertainty in the market "hopefully?" a big name can weather the storm? also Eon do a cheaper electric tariff for charging the car 12-4am? still to find out the exact details for this (as you have to ring up and talk to someone?) but I was willing to explore this option.

hope this might show the variations out there and help someone?

Tony

1.jpg
2.png
3.png

https://share.eonnext.com/neat-brook-621

Last edited:
Just tried OVO thanks for the heads up they appear to have a off peak car charging rate, but still no where near on price?

Gas 7.3 Kwh standing charge 21.42, Electric 27.13 Kwh standing charge 27.41 which works out about £1200 more? Crazy times

Just a note "Other chocolate bars are available, and i am in no way connected with any said Product!" :)

20210921_105015.jpg

Working round a customers, who probably qualifies as one of Neils 'green asshats' and has PV with 2Kw battery storage. She informs me that on average her electricity works out at between £20-25/month.
Granted she lives on her own but works from home most of the time and doesn't own a pinball but that's some impressive low energy use.
Reducing energy consumption is relatively simple. Go for the low hanging first, LED lamps throughout, up the insulation, switch things off when not being used.

I just went with British Gas which was the cheapest I could find at fixed rate. It was cheaper than octopus.

EON was slightly cheaper still but it wouldn’t let me buy it on their website.

View attachment 147999

Working round a customers, who probably qualifies as one of Neils 'green asshats' and has PV with 2Kw battery storage. She informs me that on average her electricity works out at between £20-25/month.
Granted she lives on her own but works from home most of the time and doesn't own a pinball but that's some impressive low energy use.
Reducing energy consumption is relatively simple. Go for the low hanging first, LED lamps throughout, up the insulation, switch things off when not being used.

Every light in my house is LED, I have sensors that turn off the ac/heating/lights. I have latest building regs spec insulation. Being sustainable is simple but you can’t do that alone; this year the yield from renewables is low which means more dirty energy is required and that’s more pricey thanks to Sergei Gassacon playing with demand and prices. We need more secure supplies of gas or a massive nuclear build out. It’s the green idiots that prevent investment in infra we need and then the vulnerable freeze to death.

Reactions: PAX
Every light in my house is LED, I have sensors that turn off the ac/heating/lights. I have latest building regs spec insulation. Being sustainable is simple but you can’t do that alone; this year the yield from renewables is low which means more dirty energy is required and that’s more pricey thanks to Sergei Gassacon playing with demand and prices. We need more secure supplies of gas or a massive nuclear build out. It’s the green idiots that prevent investment in infra we need and then the vulnerable freeze to death.

Doing all those things makes perfect sense 👍
Anyone who thinks just having renewable energy alone is sadly and completely wrong. We need a mixture of generation capability. Unfortunately successive governments from both sides just haven't done enough over the last 40+ years. They should've at least been looking to build sufficient nuclear plants back in the 90's given the current state of we now have. They'd be online now with zero CO2 emissions (yeah you've still got to deal with the waste but nothings really free, even renewables).
Instead we niw rely on the French, Norwegians and that bastard Putin. Pull the plug and we're f****d

I just went with British Gas which was the cheapest I could find at fixed rate. It was cheaper than octopus.

EON was slightly cheaper still but it wouldn’t let me buy it on their website.

Octopus seems to be a weird one, it looks like you have to sign up to their high priced rate initially and then apply to switch to their cheaper rates for go or the other one that varies through out the day.

i just got this deal fixed not too bad with Green - I also put 2kw of solar on pinshack roof (with room for for another 1kw later) this heats my hot water so no gas used at all in the summer.
1632224254128.png

Blimey. Looking at what some of you guys pay for energy is giving me palpitations! My current fixed price deal ends next month. I had a look around for what I can switch to. My monthly cost will be going up too. From £34 a month, to £49.

20210921_165825.jpg
With reference to my earlier post - been here 8hrs, using power tools etc. and a total of 1p of electricity used 🤩

Au lieu de cela, nous comptons sur les Français, les Norvégiens et ce salaud de Poutine. Tirez sur la prise et nous sommes foutus

Ne comptez plus trop sur les centrales nucléaires Française, vue qu'on va devoir utiliser nos sous marins en suppositoires , beaucoup de mangeurs de grenouilles (c'est exquis) pensent qu'on devrait vous couper le courant et en cadeau vous envoyer tous les migrants de Calais ☠️ ☠️
Ici c'est pas vraiment l'entente cordiale en ce moment

Moi je vous aime bien :rofl:

Ne comptez plus trop sur les centrales nucléaires Française, vue qu'on va devoir utiliser nos sous marins en suppositoires , beaucoup de mangeurs de grenouilles (c'est exquis) pensent qu'on devrait vous couper le courant et en cadeau vous envoyer tous les migrants de Calais ☠️ ☠️
Ici c'est pas vraiment l'entente cordiale en ce moment

Moi je vous aime bien :rofl:
We love your electricity, keeps the pinballs all lit up.
Boris just does what Biden tells him

1632206294718.png

@Tony I hoped you locked in on something, the EON next and Sainsburys fixed increased 20%+ later yesterday

@Tony I hoped you locked in on something, the EON next and Sainsburys fixed increased 20%+ later yesterday
Yes I went for the Eon next, rightly or wrongly I wanted to be fixed for the next year? I choose one without any exit fees so if or when it settles down I can come out and try again
Very strange times?

I live in a standard size 3 bed bungalow 1920’s construction it’s cold and damp. I leave my thermostat on 20 pretty much from November until April.

I always wondered if it’s more efficient to do that or switch it off over night and when we go out. Then it has to do a big burn to get up to temperature. What do you guys tend to do.

Back
Top Bottom