What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Energy prices - gone nuts.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
3 Months ago I went with PFP Energy. They said monthly bills, great as I hate DDs in excess of the bill.
They conveniently did not mention that they would still take DDs of about double the bill.
They have just gone bust and owe me £130. So I cancelled the DD.
British Gas takeover the supply. About a week later PFP want me to reinstate the DD!
At least my "smart meters" should now work again as British Gas installed them 5 years ago.

Locked this in with Green Energy 2 weeks ago:

Your new tariff

Tariff NameBalmer
Tariff TypeFixed
ElectricityGas
Unit Rate(s) p/kWh18.8170503.537450
Standing Charge p/day21.99960021.999600
Exit Fee£36.00£36.00
Price Guaranteed Until02/09/202202/09/2022

For backup these are good and reliable, we use one through a UPS to clean the feed

Reactions: DRD
My provider emailed me a few weeks ago asking if I want to fix my tariff. I'm on a fixed rate already and as I don't like the faff of changing or looking for better deals I said yes 😂
Maybe it was a good choice!

@Cursaw what UPS did you use pls ?

The US has been blighted by power cuts for years. South Africa too.

The UK has been sleepwalking into a crisis. We are reliant on imported fossil fuels and imported electricity. I really think a bit of prepping is worthwhile.

The Hyundai above is a totally different league to the little Honda. With the Hyundai those you can add house lighting and run various things simultaneously.

With the Honda, it would keep you going, you would need to rotate- ie fridge and freezer off when you run the microwave.

I have come close to buying something like the Hyundai but pulled back due to size and how often I thought it would get used.

The Honda also gives you camping options. Portable power supply for your electric hand tools on remote sites. A little thing that goes in the garage.

But if power cuts become a regular thing, like in South Afirca for example - the Hyundai would come into its own.

I've been questioning for the last fifteen years or so, why is there no government legislation that insists all new home builds must have solar panels installed as standard.
Strangely I thought there had been something about that a few years ago. Will have to wait and see what happens from 2030 if they are banning the fitment of gas boilers as planned, solar panels would go hand in hand with switching to electrically powered heating like air and ground source heat pumps.

The gain to developers of turning 10k an acre farmland into £1m an acre building land is so stark that it beggars belief that solar cells and heat pumps are not installed as standard.

I have wondered for a while what the true economic life of solar cells and windmills actually is. A lot of windmills near me seem to get regular maintenance.

A business near me buys in tree trunks. It shreds them. It then heats the shredded wood externally in open sided Dutch barns to dry it before compressing into wood pellets. The drying heat is produced by BURNING wood !!!!!!!! So they burn wood to dry wood that would have dried out on its own. The whole business produced masses of fine particles !!!!

My spider sense is tingling that like diesel cars and external cladding that it may all be a poorly considered scam.

The gain to developers of turning 10k an acre farmland into £1m an acre building land is so stark that it beggars belief that solar cells and heat pumps are not installed as standard.

I have wondered for a while what the true economic life of solar cells and windmills actually is. A lot of windmills near me seem to get regular maintenance.

My spider sense is tingling that like diesel cars and external cladding that it may all be a poorly considered scam.
Germany might disagree, they have been doing it and doing it well for a few years now.

Solar panels and battery storage looking like a good option, been thinking about this for a while now and hoping prices would come right down.
Paying over £3k a year electric is ridiculous on top of fuel (logs/anthracite) for a 13kw multi fuel burner.

Solar panels and battery storage looking like a good option, been thinking about this for a while now and hoping prices would come right down.
Paying over £3k a year electric is ridiculous on top of fuel (logs/anthracite) for a 13kw multi fuel burner.
Always comes down to storage though, very expensive and short lived / high maintenance if using wet cells and always costly. :-(

Always comes down to storage though, very expensive and short lived / high maintenance if using wet cells and always costly. :-(
I know, you just can’t win. T’ing off the incoming would work out cheap though😬

Lithium Iron Phosphate cells (LifePo4) are coming down in price, but annoyingly getting them shipped over at the moment has high prices due to high demand, Ive heard container costs had trippled at one point.

Another option is recycling EV car cells if you can get them cheap enough, Ive seen leaf cells being popular but the older ones tend to have dropped capacity quite a bit, another one that seems plentifull is cells from a mitubishi shogun hybrid, they come in 30v packs put you can split them up into individual cells and reformat to the correct voltage you need.

Tesla wall battery looks interesting but it’s silly money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The UK has been sleepwalking into a crisis. We are reliant on imported fossil fuels and imported electricity. I really think a bit of prepping is worthwhile.

The Hyundai above is a totally different league to the little Honda. With the Hyundai those you can add house lighting and run various things simultaneously.

With the Honda, it would keep you going, you would need to rotate- ie fridge and freezer off when you run the microwave.

I have come close to buying something like the Hyundai but pulled back due to size and how often I thought it would get used.

The Honda also gives you camping options. Portable power supply for your electric hand tools on remote sites. A little thing that goes in the garage.

But if power cuts become a regular thing, like in South Afirca for example - the Hyundai would come into its own.
i think we use apc, i will go and take a look, we get them from here https://secure.ups-trader.co.uk/

If I hook up a parked Nuclear Sub close to my house, how many pins can I keep running? Those reactors will keep me warm enough. Failing that I'm going to be wearing thermal everything 24 hours a day for the next 7 months and a pedal powered generator to run a pin.

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 13.03.55.png

Pedal powered generator for the pins and you'll be toasty warm all day long - no thermals or gas required

We Use these https://secure.ups-trader.co.uk/rack-ups/65-sua3000rmi2u.html , you will need to change the sensitivity when using them with a generator

Can anyone recommend a smart electricity so you can see what you are using? My old Wattson has given up the ghost

I've been thinking about moving suppliers... this seems a great deal at the moment for electric but will probably go up, Octopus GO

1632144818445.png

I've been thinking about moving suppliers... this seems a great deal at the moment for electric but will probably go up, Octopus GO

View attachment 147964

Seems pretty decent compared to the quotes I saw the other night, but looks like you have to sign up to their standard tarrif first and then get moved across once they have confirmed they can get half hourly updates from your smart meter. Could be pretty good if you can take advantage of the massively reduced cost between 00:30 and 04:30.

Had a look for mine which was a little bit cheaper, but doesnt seem to mention if its a fixed tariff or not.

I'm with Symbio Energy, seem cheap compared to Octopus above, but still a large increase from last year (Approx £4k a year now)

I moved to Neon Reef from Bulb still seem to be the cheapest, but i have a feeling they might go under..

Back
Top Bottom