What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the stacked multi ball is great which is really all it adds, wayne did find a scoring exploit on it that needs fixing but I really like it.

Premium or LE all the way for BKSOR... Upperfield is iconic on Black Knight games...

I love the catapult lock, I like the looping scoring and I also like you can progress your modes up there also

Oh dear - pity the buyer from memory.

I installed a new DMD in it just over 5 years ago.

Needed so much work back then to get it playable, they only had a small budget so basically wanted it so it would 'work' so the kids could play it. I had to leave it with faults galore on it back then.

A very hard worked machine in its previous life - but a little high in price (knowing the game).

Whilst I’m still considering and saving for my first real machine. I’m still somewhat curious about Digital Pinball machines. This listing is close by to me, what do people who know about these things feel about this virtual pin build and price.

Worth a pick-up while the family and I save for a real table?

My experience of digital pinball is limited to the official releases of PBFX3 and its predecessors, The Pinball Arcade, Stern Pinball Arcade and Zaccaria all played on Nintendo Switch. Would hope the software and tables represented here would be of close to that quality? Yes/no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience of digital pinball is limited to the official releases of PBFX3 and its predecessors, The Pinball Arcade, Stern Pinball Arcade and Zaccaria all played on Nintendo Switch. Would hope the software and tables represented here would be of close to that quality? Yes/no?

There are a few on here who would say 'dont bother', and in some ways I'm inclined to agree (particularly for your first table) however I do think that virtual tables are a great way to get to know a wide array of games, and to get a feel for what you like and don't like. Don't be fooled though - they are only a shadow of what a real game is like, especially one like this that is built to a different standard than a real table.

As for the machine itself - I would only bother with the modern VPX tables (Virtual Pinball X) - everything else is pants imo. You want 4K resolution on the screen too, and enough guts in the processor to handle that with no stuttering. Ideally you would get one that has force feedback too (solenoids inside the cabinet that respond to flippers, pops and slings) as this really helps in creating a better illusion of realness. There have been other posts on here that go into more detail on this, have a search if you're interested.

After all this trouble and time, one has gotta say, is it worth it? Just save up another 1K and get a real table!

@stumblor Cheers dude.

It was only a stepping stone onto the real thing, never a substitute. The idea of playing a lot of tables to get a sense of their rules and modes does appeal though. But probably only at this price-point as if we are getting up to 1k with all the 4K bells and whistles I’d rather spend that on a real machine.

Last edited:
Played good and bad versions of digital pinball, it still doesn't beat the real thing. Visitors to SWL say the same thing. Get a proper table and stick to playing video pinball on the console or PC. :thumbs:

Whilst I’m still considering and saving for my first real machine. I’m still somewhat curious about Digital Pinball machines. This listing is close by to me, what do people who know about these things feel about this virtual pin build and price.

Worth a pick-up while the family and I save for a real table?

[/URL]

Mate, I can speak only from a personal point of view.

Virtual pinball machines lack the magic of a real cabinet. So much of the allure for me are the colours, toys, rails, ramps and mechanics. There is genuine skill and hand-eye coordination involved in timing a shot with a steel ball off a flipper. It's a genuinely rewarding endeavor that's just not matched on a screen.

I'm sure the virtual pinball has it's merits but I'm unsure of the need for them bearing in mind most people own a giant TV now. An Xbox will give you a virtual representation of a pinball machine but it is a digital version of it . . . . you're not actually controlling the flippers, your controlling a picture of flippers that don't really exist.

My son plays FIFA on the Xbox and it looks excellent and fun but he's not playing football. There is not the same thrill of scoring a goal, the smell of the grass (and deep heat 🤮) as well as all the actual physical skill required to play the game.

Pinball is the same for me. The sound, the feel of the machine when the ball is bouncing off the bumpers, the individual mechanisms, nudging and feeling the vibrations of the game and of course the depth of perception looking down into the cabinet.

Those are my opinions anyway but I can't help thinking that after loaning your fantastic machine for a month, you'd feel a massive comedown owning a virtual machine.

Save up £1500 would be my advice and get one of the machines on offer from here. In the meantime you can still play pinball on the console and you won't have spent hundreds of pounds.

@Lroy - I have made and sold a lot of virtual pinballs.

There are pros and cons.

Pros are you can play 100s of pinballs.

Cons are - it is emulation.

Your best bet (if space/money is an issue) is to at least have one real pinball and a virtual.

At the moment I have one real pin and one soon to be incoming (hopefully). I do not currently have a Vpin.

Solenoids and coils can be put in a vpin to get the bangs and feel but it is still not like having a real game. It is like putting a bigger engine in a small car, its still a small car.

The 2D effect you get used to and dont get me wrong - vpins are fun! You can play Big Bang Bar, Cactus Canyon continued - the games most people cant afford.

The one on ebay is not worth buying.

That EATPM that has been on for ages has been reduced to 1750. Has anyone been in contact with the seller?

@Pick Holder Thanks for your input buddy. Yeah, space and money is a very real consideration. I think my aim would be to have one of each for the reasons you outline.

For £400 you can get an oculus quest with virtual pinball tables, they are very enjoyable with all the visual effects you can’t get on a real table but in no way is virtual pinball or digital pinball anything like the real thing.
I’m just throwing this out there as £400 with a good resale value as well as a lot of other kwl games you can play and take it anywhere would be my go to if I couldn’t afford a decent table.
By decent it depends what you want, but if you only have room or money for one then thinking about being able to sell it and not lose a load is paramount.
Therefore I would go for a machine from early 90’s onwards, look at pinside, here and other sites for general ratings which although you may not agree with may help you judge whether it would be easy to sell or not.
Avoid unpopular or limiting themes.
Get a machine with a deeper rule set if you’re going to keep it a while and just make sure it’s fun and in the best condition you can afford.
Playfield is key, plastics, rubbers, dirt and mechanical things can be fixed.
Try and play the game a bit first and remember that the pitch of the machine the condition it’s in will affect playability massively.

@Beowulfz07 Thanks mate. Won’t derail this thread any further but appreciate your comments. You used the term ‘pitch’ is that just general condition of the playfield or is that something in particular? Unfamiliar with the term as applied to pinball machines unless you meant how raised the playfield is?

Anyway, I’m certainly intending to get a real machine, when the right deal comes up and the funds allow [emoji106]

Hi
Yes, pitch as in the angle of the table which affects how fast the ball is, some tables suit a steeper angle and others don’t, personal preference but it was common in arcades to make a machine more difficult by raising the playfield and for less game time.
I prefer having one arm tied behind my back, an eye patch and half a bottle of whisky 😂

@Pick Holder Thanks for your input buddy. Yeah, space and money is a very real consideration. I think my aim would be to have one of each for the reasons you outline.

You can also download most all of the things required to run the virtual pinball software on a stock PC. (Wont be exactly like a vpin of course - but it will give you the idea).
I started making one myself. Setting the PC bit up was easy for me - making a box to put it in was another thing. And I didnt want to just use a regular pin cabinet because I wanted something smaller too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom