What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMD clocks - Colour 2020 version!!

17 sent. I need to send mails to the last 2 people, since theirs were delayed (i had to install new cards due to my PC corrupting the micro SD cards) These will be shipped this week.

I am hoping to complete the build of the last 30-odd over the coming week...

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE TO THOSE THAT I HAVE ADVISED HAVE BEEN SHIPPED

I was advised this morning that the interface card had become detached (Red board). I have put in place a fix on the later ones of the first run, and also on all future builds, however to those that receive today/tomorrow, please ensure that between the rear and LED panels of the unit that the Red piggyback board which plugs into the Pi is still in place (just give it a push to make sure....
The Red board should be like this :

IMG_4470.jpg

IMG_4471.jpg

PLEASE check this before powering on...!!

As io mentioned, design has been modified since the early builds to bolt both of these down. Obviously i didnt think there was an issue, however have now had two reports of this :( Goes to show - no matter how well you pack things, the delivery process can be brutal!

Apologies 😢
Paul

The Red board should be like this :

View attachment 122760

View attachment 122761

PLEASE check this before powering on...!!

As io mentioned, design has been modified since the early builds to bolt both of these down. Obviously i didnt think there was an issue, however have now had two reports of this :( Goes to show - no matter how well you pack things, the delivery process can be brutal!

Apologies 😢
Paul
No problem here Paul plugged it in and works like a dream, packaging was first class!!

The board coming out was probably due to the Ace Venture handling of the courier.

Mine should arrive today but I'm at work 😭
Silly middle shifts all week so maybe I won't see it for a while unless they hide it somewhere

Ok, so Here's a Usermanual that i have translated from French, and should explain the build and operation of the clocks.

It also explains how to change configurations. PLEASE take care, since some changes WILL disable Wireless/display parameters!!

If you are connected to the network you should be able to access by going into any machine/phone connected to the network, opening a browser, and typing "//Rpi2dmd"

Attachments

• RPI2DMD_User_Manual.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
Jeez, DX are as bad as all the other couriers. Just checked online as mine has not turned up and there is the usual b**locks about "we tried to deliver and have left a calling card", but of course been in here all day and they never came here and there is no calling card. Tried to reschedule online and after going through the reschedule process it says sorry we can't resechedule, call our customer service team. I hate courier companies! GRRRRRRR.

Hope those of you that have received yours are enjoying them!

Jeez, DX are as bad as all the other couriers. Just checked online as mine has not turned up and there is the usual b**locks about "we tried to deliver and have left a calling card", but of course been in here all day and they never came here and there is no calling card. Tried to reschedule online and after going through the reschedule process it says sorry we can't resechedule, call our customer service team. I hate courier companies! GRRRRRRR.

Opposite here, I'm still at work but it claims its been delivered and is 'in a suitable place'.
I look forward to getting home after 2200 and seeing what that means..

Grrrrr... Sorry Paul :(

Mine arrived!

It's lovely but I do have an issue.
I've fiddled with the options, just changing fonts and gifs and now the screen is blank.
It did it earlier and I unplugged it and plugged back in and it came back to life.

I can still access the settings on the wifi so it's alive
Any ideas?

Update :solved..
The brightness settings turn the screen off past 2300 😂

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Mine was working perfectly, but the display went off when I connected to my Wifi. I have checked and I could still connect to it and the brightness was set to 25, but the display was still blank. Looked like it lost the panel settings. I used the default setting from the manual and it came back on. Just want to check these are the correct setting.
Settings.jpg

Last edited:
This is from the config file, however covers the bits above......

Panel_XSize=64
Panel_YSize=32
Panel_XNumber=2
Panel_YNumber=1
GPIO_Slowdown=2
RGB_Order=RGB
PWM_Bits=11
LED_Multiplexing=0
LED_Rowaddrtype=0
Custom=

Please remember - these Panels are set by me to be off between 23:00 and 07:00....

# Brightness vs time Configuration ( ex Panel_Brightness_6 mean from 6 to 7 o'clock)
# Value is percentage of brightness. Range is from 0 to 10 by step of 5
Panel_Brightness_0=0
Panel_Brightness_1=0
Panel_Brightness_2=0
Panel_Brightness_3=5
Panel_Brightness_4=0
Panel_Brightness_5=0
Panel_Brightness_6=0
Panel_Brightness_7=10
Panel_Brightness_8=10
Panel_Brightness_9=15
Panel_Brightness_10=15
Panel_Brightness_11=20
Panel_Brightness_12=20
Panel_Brightness_13=20
Panel_Brightness_14=20
Panel_Brightness_15=20
Panel_Brightness_16=20
Panel_Brightness_17=15
Panel_Brightness_18=15
Panel_Brightness_19=10
Panel_Brightness_20=10
Panel_Brightness_21=10
Panel_Brightness_22=5
Panel_Brightness_23=0
Gif_Cat_12=disabled
Gif_Cat_13=disabled
Gif_Cat_14=disabled
accordion-1=on
Save=Save

Cheers Paul. 👍

I checked with Anna if I could keep it in the kitchen and got a resounding “of course not it’s the most hideous thing I’ve ever seen”. 😂 (and this is from a woman who chose those curtains)

View attachment 122791
I’ve had the exact opposite reaction when it arrived and I unboxed my misses said “what is that?” So I replied “its a clock babe” to which her eyes rolled a little and said “do I wanted to know what you paid for that” to which I said “probably not” lol.

But then the kids all sat down for about 20-30 minutes in silence watching it cycle through animation after animation (my kids are never sat still or quiet, now she’s loves the thing and even commented “well that’s worth whatever you paid” :D

My clock is on the Pinball circuit breaker - so when i want to play it all goes on, no matter what time.

On the "old" clocks that would work... the newer ones may complain as it's a Pi (therefore Mini PC)... so likes to be shut down nicely. We will see how long you can gkeep it going before you need to re-write the microSD card ;)

On the "old" clocks that would work... the newer ones may complain as it's a Pi (therefore Mini PC)... so likes to be shut down nicely. We will see how long you can gkeep it going before you need to re-write the microSD card ;)
ah - that's quite an important factor.

So we have to open the clock's URL and 'shut it down' every time? That's not going to be practical. I might copy the SD and keep a back-up :)

As a clock they arent really designed to be switched off and on daily... Hence why the on/off times for the display... (as to not disturb people)....

I did turn on the mature gifs...

To be fair they arent exactly XXX-rated by modern standards. Just probably something that you wouldnt want your Grandma to see :D

However that does give me a wonderful idea for a new "add-on pack" :rofl: ;)

Clock has arrived 😀
Many thanks Paul.
Did have the same issue as @Andypc above, where it lost the panel settings. This then required a hard reboot, as the soft reboot wouldn’t bring the panels back to life, even after putting the settings back in.
All good and looks great.
Just need to get a socket installed at high level and mount the clock.

Should be fine in my experience. If feeling paranoid you could set the filesystem to be mounted readonly.

mine arrived today work great - anyone know if its possible to use the Stern DMD font for the clock?

unnamed-3.jpg

Yeah that would be nice Neil good call.

Im using the animated fonts, I thought might as well animate everything.

Again brilliant product @Paul

You can turn haloween fonts, animations and Category on if you fancy it, since it's that time of year!! ;)

mine arrived. all ok. but can’t connect to it. do you just hit the ip address from a browser?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom