What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSD out of storage recommissioning

100% a ball in there... @Rob zombie

Given the back and forth motion, I am sure it is in a VUK somewhere and its one near the back from the sound, there's only four I can think of...

1. The back left shot where the drop is for video mode. This is where I am thinking.
2. The coffin mech, middle area.
3. Renfield. Front left.
4. Rats. Front right.

MAYBE - it is lose under the upstand which loads myst ball, if all those fail on coil test to produce a ball, get it to lift the ramp on the shooter lane and put a magnet up there and check.
I can definitely rule out rats/altar. I don’t think its in coffin just because of the movement direction. I'm definitely hedging towards video mode but it still seems like an awful lot of movement. I don't even know how to check in there.

Go back to basics.

Take the balls out. Enter switch test. Drop a ball into the drain. Does the outhole switch register?

Flick the ball with your finger into the trough. Does the trough switch register and stay closed? Repeat with further balls until you have checked all the trough switches.
Honestly, like I said earlier, I just don't trust the switch tests on this machine. I've been there and done that.

My TZ opto board had a very fine hairline crack. Virtually impossible to see. I found it by continuity testing the connector pins to the relevant components.

Balls can get lost into the void at the far right corner of the playfield. There is a gap under the main ramp by the up/down post diverter (position 33 on the diagram in James's post). The only way I could get it back was to remove the main ramp.

It sounds to me like battery leakage. historic, as you say it’s happened before and also the batteries are now remote from the board (Could be because they leaked or it could be to prevent)

my best advise is to do what pinballmania is suggesting with the switch tests, he has forgotten more about diagnosing pin faults than ive ever learnt. Also when doing the tests dont assume anything, report back exactly what is happening..

Balls can get lost into the void at the far right corner of the playfield. There is a gap under the main ramp by the up/down post diverter (position 33 on the diagram in James's post). The only way I could get it back was to remove the main ramp.

Spot on. Its hard to see but its lurking behind that screw. This is going to be a nightmare to retrieve!
DSC_0852.JPG

I got it :) I tried with a magnet but it wasn't strong enough. I just undid the screw on the ramp above and there was enough play in it for me to get my fingers in there. Game still playing up though. I'll post the switch reports....it's basically every opto.

I know you don’t trust the switch edge test but trust me, it is your friend. If you see rubbish on the switch test then that is what the cpu is seeing. If you can’t understand it then the cpu can’t either.

Take a picture of the switch edge test. Take a video and activate some switches, show us what the cpu is seeing when switches are activated. Check any mechanical switch that is on the same row or column as an opto.

If the switch report shows ALL optos out then you may have lost 12v supply to the optos OR the opto board is bad.

If it’s only some optos then we take a different approach. But you need to work from the switch edge test and resolve the issues that you see there.

I know you don’t trust the switch edge test but trust me, it is your friend. If you see rubbish on the switch test then that is what the cpu is seeing. If you can’t understand it then the cpu can’t either.

Take a picture of the switch edge test. Take a video and activate some switches, show us what the cpu is seeing when switches are activated. Check any mechanical switch that is on the same row or column as an opto.

If the switch report shows ALL optos out then you may have lost 12v supply to the optos OR the opto board is bad.

If it’s only some optos then we take a different approach. But you need to work from the switch edge test and resolve the issues that you see there.

I will try the switch tests tomorrow. But I have a strong feeling this is going to be the solution below. Its struggling to get balls into the shooter lane which is possibly confusing it. I'd bet money on it.
Screenshot_20200127-224340.png

As I said earlier reflow the opto board.

Diagnose first. Then repair as necessary. Carrying out random repairs may well just introduce new problems.

Fix the ball eject. But it won’t have caused the opto errors.

Test the optos that are reported. Find a common link to any switches not working.

Diagnose first. Then repair as necessary. Carrying out random repairs may well just introduce new problems.

Fix the ball eject. But it won’t have caused the opto errors.

Test the optos that are reported. Find a common link to any switches not working.

I'm sure this is what happened when I first bought the machine. I seem to recall tilting it up slightly on the front left fixed the ball eject and then the other problems went away. But yeah I'll have a proper look at it.

Ok I think I've fixed it. I don't know how I missed it when I was checking all the fuses but J116 was hanging loose off the board. It's got a lighting mod connector on it which must have pulled loose and taken the whole thing out when it was tombstoned.

So now I think I've just got to solve the ball kicker problem. It seems to be too strong and the balls bounces back into the trough but I can't see any way to adjust it.

Adjust the plate above the ball slightly maybe so it hits that first? Or see if there’s anyway to adjust the angle it launches the ball at?

Adjust the plate above the ball slightly maybe so it hits that first? Or see if there’s anyway to adjust the angle it launches the ball at?

Bending the plate above down worked perfectly. Thanks! All working great now (touch wood).

When I said *touch wood* I must admit I didn't touch any wood at all. It was some sort of laminated plastic that looked like wood. I thought I could get away with it. Anyway the long and the short of it is that now the machine unloads the right magnet every time the ball drains. Which means you can keep flipping and get a multiball every time it drains. Any ideas? J116 is definitely in there before anyone asks.

It was a bit weird. I'll record it. It had 7 errors before it started. Then a power error at the end.

Back
Top Bottom