What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSD out of storage recommissioning

I had a similar problem with right magnet unloading. Turned out to be a loose connection J1 on opto PCB A-15646 (under playfield).

I couldn't identify that board by torchlight so I just unplugged and replugged everything under the playfield.....seems ok now!! Thanks!!!! You guys are the best.

Clearly this BSD prefers to be TOMBstoned.

I’ll STAKE a bet it’ll be fine now.

Bet you’ve been DYING to play it.

Vampire

Clearly this BSD prefers to be TOMBstoned.

I’ll STAKE a bet it’ll be fine now.

Bet you’ve been DYING to play it.

Vampire

I can't tell you how gutted I am to lose my billion plus high score. With my rubbish pinball skills that was a massive fluke that took years. Now that its all working perfectly I'm going to be afraid to switch it on again.

Oh **** a ****ing duck. Hold those horses. Its still doing it. Aaaaarrgh

Why would you do this to me Count Dracula? I have always looked after you. Changed your fuses, fed you electricity and this is the way you repay me?!?

Last edited:
What about the long range opto that runs along the mist path, I read that gets out of line and causes problems like that.
Put it in switch test and block the beam between the two gates on mist path and should register if ok.
Worth a try.

I have BBQ lighter fluid and bad BSD downstairs in the basement...but Netflix plus projector upstairs. Going to stay upstairs tonight. Tomorrow is another day. The battle will recommence.

Oh **** a ****ing duck. Hold those horses. Its still doing it. Aaaaarrgh

Why would you do this to me Count Dracula? I have always looked after you. Changed your fuses, fed you electricity and this is the way you repay me?!?
In switch test bang on the playfield - see if any of the optos register - could be a flaky connection/joint

Is the machine LED'd? There can sometimes be issues with LED lighting messing with the optos iirc

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

In switch test bang on the playfield - see if any of the optos register - could be a flaky connection/joint

Is the machine LED'd? There can sometimes be issues with LED lighting messing with the optos iirc

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Its not LED'd but it has several Judge Dreads lighting mods. It was working absolutely flawlessly before being tombstoned which is super annoying. I'll give it a good smack tomorrow with a lump hammer.

Ok. So the test shows that the opto beam appears ok, and that it can load a ball into the right hand staging area.

What it’s not doing is returning the ball to the staging area on the right correctly. Rather than dropping unceremoniously after being taken to the right the ball should re enter it’s home and stay there. My guess is that the right hand gate is incorrectly set up so that the ball is being pushed off the magnet by the gate when the ball returns. OR the magnet home right switch is switching too early before the ball is held behind the gate.

Repeat the test and watch ( and video ) what the ball is doing as it attempts re entry to the right.

It says power error so it’s probably the ball being hit off the magnet by the gate.

The cpu expects it to stay on the magnet until it’s home. When the gate knocks it off it sees the opto beam resume so it assumes the magnet power failed.

Had one final watch. When the ball returns to the left AND when it says magnet unload I don’t hear the right gate activating to allow the ball in and then to release it.

The right gate is driven from the fliptronics board.

Test the gate in solenoid test and if not working then check fliptronic fuses and wiring to gate solenoid.

The only thing is...I assumed the gate is opening when the ball drains? Because during a game as soon as the ball drains a ball drops out of the right gate.

Would make me think it’s to do with the trough switches if it happens when it drains.
To add, mine dropped the ball from the right gate a few times while ball was in play one day for no reason but I can’t remember what I did. Think I cleaned the opto.

Last edited:
One more look on a larger screen and I can hear that the gate is opening so that’s why it’s able to release the ball.
I’m guessing that on the way back the gate doesn’t lift quite high enough to allow the ball through.

Thanks for staying with me on this guys. I'll have all day to look at it tomorrow as I got made redundant today 😂 😂 😂 Literally my dream come true (seriously) :clap::clap::clap:

Being made redundant can be like that - when it happened to me, I almost jumped for joy - biggish payout as I'd been there 9 years, and a new job straight after - happy days, bought myself a new car (obviously, this was before I got into this hobby, or it'd have been something NIB)

Being made redundant can be like that - when it happened to me, I almost jumped for joy - biggish payout as I'd been there 9 years, and a new job straight after - happy days, bought myself a new car (obviously, this was before I got into this hobby, or it'd have been something NIB)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom