What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BSD out of storage recommissioning

Rob zombie

Site Supporter
First of all, BSD is a 4 ball game am I right? Its been so long I can't remember.

Is there a known best way to insert the balls? Because its acting weird. Constantly hunting for balls. Firing off all the solenoids. Ball goes down a hole and doesn't get kicked out until ball search commences. Game logic doesn't kick in. Doesn't attempt to fire a ball into the right mist area.

If you take out all the balls and raise the playfield to vertical it sounds like there is a ball rolling around in the back somewhere, does anyone else get that? Is it the playfield spring mechanism making that noise or is there somewhere there where a ball could be lost?

I'd bang it in switch edge test and check the optos first.

If none are working, check your 12V on J116-J119 and reseat if required.

Tim

I'd bang it in switch edge test and check the optos first.

If none are working, check your 12V on J116-J119 and reseat if required.

Tim

The thing is, I've had this happen before a few years ago when I first bought it. It'll basically throw up errors for every opto in the game but they're all ok. So I don't trust the switch tests. I'd be confident if I played this for a month it'll eventually right itself. So I'm just wondering if there's a ball insertion procedure e.g. placing one in the mist hole? I did go through the whole mobile phone testing the optos trick before too but it seems to be a game logic issue rather than hardware.

Factory reset it... crazy stuff can happen with RAM and ASIC when left off for a long period of time with batteries left connected

I've replaced the batteries which has caused a factory reset. It immediately ejected the ball from mist and is now complaining it doesn't have enough balls. There are at least four in there. Could be another lost in the back somewhere but I don't think so. I must have been in a hurry when I tombstoned these. TWD ended up with 8 balls in it on start up (it kicks 5 out on ball 1 if anyone is wondering). DSC_0847.JPG

Last edited:
4 balls, cant remember a ball rolling around noise when lifting.
Maybe check trough switches all work

4 balls, cant remember a ball rolling around noise when lifting.
Maybe check trough switches all work

I'll have to record it because I literally spent 30mins rocking the playfield back and forth listening to it. Couldn't see where a ball might be lurking though. Its bloody haunted.

Sometimes I have noticed a stuck ball between the left hand renfield shot and the bonus scoop in the pops, there is a subway there. Check that as I had to adjust a switch there a couple of times I am sure. If the switch isn't detecting it there, when it thinks it should have one there, it'll get all ****ed off.

Remember BSD is a kretin for needing to know where the balls are and then just resetting anyway when it does and doesn't like it.

Lastly there is a VUK where the video mode goes into back left. There's a few switches there, but my guess is that Mystery to Renfield subway.

If I forget to remove balls before lifting the pf, a ball or 2 can tend get trapped in the space behind the right orbit.

Man this machine is driving me crazy. I love it though. I should have enough phone battery now to record the haunted lost ball....

I had something similar, reflowed the solder on the optos.

100% a ball in there... @Rob zombie

Given the back and forth motion, I am sure it is in a VUK somewhere and its one near the back from the sound, there's only four I can think of...

1. The back left shot where the drop is for video mode. This is where I am thinking.
2. The coffin mech, middle area.
3. Renfield. Front left.
4. Rats. Front right.

MAYBE - it is lose under the upstand which loads myst ball, if all those fail on coil test to produce a ball, get it to lift the ramp on the shooter lane and put a magnet up there and check.

Go back to basics.

Take the balls out. Enter switch test. Drop a ball into the drain. Does the outhole switch register?

Flick the ball with your finger into the trough. Does the trough switch register and stay closed? Repeat with further balls until you have checked all the trough switches.

Test -> Solenoids -> Wire ramp popper

I could be just a wire off.

I suspect solenoid rather than switch otherwise ball search would have found it.

Back
Top Bottom