What's new

Bram Stokers Dracula - The now sorta shop log.

It wasn't a pitch issue in the sense of it high more left and right I had it set to 6.7 via a mobile app, il dig out out the app, it was the level on the left front and back higher or lower can't remember which
But on your machine right I'm guessing

But on your machine right I'm guessing
I would suggest trying to lower the back right leg front left, so it's not level on the left right axis, if that doesn't work then the opposite higher on the right back front

Run with me on this but could the transistors and/or coils hold residual charge that would leave things over voltage for at least a few shots?

The VUK that was spitting out like it hated the balls is much better now. Either that or this pin has a hard time regulating a smooth voltage..

you need to figure out why the ball is getting air, it looks like its catching on something.

At 0:31 in the ball hits the left lower wireform and has already become unstable before the turn.
Then it's running too quickly to make the turn or that wireform on our left is too low.

Anyone else think it's wireform rather than coil power?

View attachment 157143
It could be the wire form but I'm seeing perculiarities the VUK for the mystery exit sometimes spits out fine since the voltage amendment. Other times it spits out at speed causing the ball to spit out and upwards usually into the outlane.

Same with trough eject and shooter.

I don't get air balls up the ramp anymore at least from testing, the ball still comes off the castle lock ramp, not as often but say 2 in 5 shots. Where before it was more like 4 in 5 shots.

I wonder if the power delivery is inconsistent or the mods are interfering somehow. There are a few light mods in the machine (under cab lighting, additional flash lamp and graveyard and coffin lighting)

At 0:31 in the ball hits the left lower wireform and has already become unstable before the turn.
Then it's running too quickly to make the turn or that wireform on our left is too low.

Anyone else think it's wireform rather than coil power?

View attachment 157143
Yep I think it’s the wire form. Similar to the A:IQ one that feeds from the right ramp. A little twist is probably needed.

Ok I think I resolved the ramp issue. I've done something kind of janky and added felt padding to the diverter to absorb some of the speed and it appears to be working. I've moved my attention back to the VUK for the mystery shot. The wire form looks slightly bent not sure if it's intentional or not.

Still goes from soft ejects to powerful ones. Could replacing the coil help?

Even just the position of that diverter could make a lot of difference, is there any adjustment there. If it feeds the ball onto that wire frame perfectly straight I’d imagine the ball would stay on regardless of speed.
With the VUK is it literally firing hard and then soft or does it appear to based on what the ball does. Fire it again and again in test mode and see if it sounds the same every time - if so it could be alignment. I’m guessing it’s all clean with no binding at all?

Even just the position of that diverter could make a lot of difference, is there any adjustment there. If it feeds the ball onto that wire frame perfectly straight I’d imagine the ball would stay on regardless of speed.
With the VUK is it literally firing hard and then soft or does it appear to based on what the ball does. Fire it again and again in test mode and see if it sounds the same every time - if so it could be alignment. I’m guessing it’s all clean with no binding at all?
Speed and power is all over the place on it. One minute its soft and the ball just pops into the lane without hassle. The next its like a cannon firing with so much force it causes back spin causing the ball to fly up and out. At the moment its doing it I would say 2 in 10 times. Definitely a lot less since changing the pin on the transformer to the correct position.

*edit: I should add I did this with the glass off continually throwing the ball into the mystery shot.

Ramp wise I played a few games the ball fell off once. A great improvement but my heart sank a bit when it did fall off.

These old pins are a royal pain!

Position wise it seems pretty forced into a fixed position. I don't think the diverter is to blame. Sometimes the balls still belt it around the ramp not sure if this is just me doing a clean shot or my suspected power fluctuations.

I can’t wait to hear what it final is once you get to the bottom of it. Must be frustrating.
Are the boards Rotten Dogs - might be worth mentioning if it’s a power issue and someone on here has experience with those?

Speed and power is all over the place on it. One minute its soft and the ball just pops into the lane without hassle. The next its like a cannon firing with so much force it causes back spin causing the ball to fly up and out. At the moment its doing it I would say 2 in 10 times. Definitely a lot less since changing the pin on the transformer to the correct position.
Varying coil power strength if no binding on the coil sounds more like a power supply issue. A dry joint or more likely a transistor on the driver board failing?

Was taking pictures of the boards so you could see and noticed on the DMD Driver board J105 connector was loose. Didn't seem to make any difference though.

PXL_20220109_163032292.jpg

PXL_20220109_163038943.jpg

PXL_20220109_163047799.jpg

PXL_20220109_163132501.jpg

PXL_20220109_163509261.jpg

PXL_20220109_163518378.jpg

PXL_20220109_163658116.jpg

Re the upkicker I would check the coil is the correct value and not overheated/burnt and try an original driver board if you have one. Rottendog boards are hit and miss . 2 simple changes to rule out at least

Re the upkicker I would check the coil is the correct value and not overheated/burnt and try an original driver board if you have one. Rottendog boards are hit and miss . 2 simple changes to rule out at least
So I set the range on Multi Metre and on a good 'Green coil'. I read 10.6, according to the coil resistance chart I found I should get 10.8.

For referance the coil is a AE-26-1200

So I think for instance the pop bumpers are fine.

When I test the suspect VUK I get 4.

Am I correct in understanding the weaker the resistance the more power goes through it. Hence why I'm seeing issues? The only thing I haven't done is take it off the wiring and retested it. I've bought the new coil at any rate along with the Asylum VUK coil as this one throws out balls into the right outlane all the time for me.

Another question for you @myPinballs is this insert on the playfield repairable? Or am I looking at a new playfield. The insert has sunk by 1mm or so causing the line to show and balls to catch.

Not sure if this is something you do or if its a job for someone for maybe @new forest pinball?

IMG-20220105-WA0003.jpeg

Installed new coils for the Asylum and Village VUK.

Kick out is much more normal now for both of them. Village VUK however was still kicking out with a spin which caused the ball on 2 in 10 times to spit out of the lane.

I took off the railing, Village model and plastic beneath to get a proper look at the kick out wire frame.

Look what I discovered.

PXL_20220113_144651376.jpg

PXL_20220113_144654110.jpg

Now look whats its supposed to look like

large.jpg

Don't know who the hell bent it out that way but I've bent it back...

The results...

Thank God for that!

Great, sorted a few issues there. Bit more of a tweak looking at the state of that wire form😂

Many thanks to @Ant127 who's sold me his tumbler.

It's already set to work on the various bolts and guides.
PXL_20220113_180652049.jpg

Will update once it's had time to work.

Installed new coils for the Asylum and Village VUK.

Kick out is much more normal now for both of them. Village VUK however was still kicking out with a spin which caused the ball on 2 in 10 times to spit out of the lane.

I took off the railing, Village model and plastic beneath to get a proper look at the kick out wire frame.

Look what I discovered.

View attachment 157439

View attachment 157440

Now look whats its supposed to look like

View attachment 157441

Don't know who the hell bent it out that way but I've bent it back...

The results...

Thank God for that!
Fantiastic, welcome to 90's williams, opertors did some strange lazy things.

what grade shells did you use in your tumbler scott?

I just bought one home i had at work to start going through some of the metal parts under the playfield on my AFM.

i ordered medium walnut shells, not sure if that was the right size

what grade shells did you use in your tumbler scott?

I just bought one home i had at work to start going through some of the metal parts under the playfield on my AFM.

i ordered medium walnut shells, not sure if that was the right size
Crushed walnut medium I believe. Ant sent me some with the tumbler.

brill thanks ordered the same then. Not like you can see the parts underneath playfield, but my afm is on the way to near mint with a bit more TLC so thought why not.

Back
Top Bottom