What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BOP New issues - Head motor/switch error

Start with the basic and manually ground the relay at pin 2 to see if it turns the relay on. It the relay clicks then you can ground the pins at 5&6 to see if the head motor then turns on.

Okay, so I've got the tester out, put red on pin 2 and black to ground, nothing clicks on the relay

There was an issue early on when the flashers came on the relay was clicking like crazy with every flash, I compared boards and wiring to a friend on WhatsApp and I had an extra wire in j125 pin 1
That wire in his machine was going to j122 pin 3, when I did the same the relay stopped clicking when the flashers turned on and off

There was an issue early on when the flashers came on the relay was clicking like crazy with every flash, I compared boards and wiring to a friend on WhatsApp and I had an extra wire in j125 pin 1
That wire in his machine was going to j122 pin 3, when I did the same the relay stopped clicking when the flashers turned on and off

Did you find a wire to go to J125 pin 1 ? If so what was it?

Oh and the relay only controls the direction of head turning.

I would see if you have voltage across J2 pins 4 and 5, also 6 and 7 when the head drive is powered from motor regulator assembly - you did say that " I have power to the motor regulator board, and it seems to be leaving the board as well, but slightly lower voltage.".

Sorry folks not being rude and ignoring you all, mad two days knocking house walls down and concreting the floors! Haven't had a good test at bop yet, think it might be a weekend job as j still have lots to do at home. :(

I have my manual from the great @Vimtoman getting ready to tackle this again tomorrow so will update soon.

Hoping to crack the issue by Sunday so wish me luck.... Failing that, anyone know any repair folk close to Wrexham?

Hi Folks,

This is where I currently am with the help of a good forum friend on whatsapp, Not sure of your forum name but thanks for the continued help for several weeks on this carl!

When I now go into test mode and manually test the motor, I Can hear the relay clicking in and out when it goes to on or off, but the motor does still not spin.

focusing on the motorhead board now :

When I test for 20v at the motorhead board, by putting red probe on J1 and black on J1-2 I get -23.5 (yes minus)
When I put red probe on J2 pin 1 and black on a braided wire I get 12.9V (NOT A MINUS)
Testing across pin 2 and pin3 on J2 I get -12.9 (MINUS AGAIN)
Testing across pin 1 on J2 and pin 2 on J1 I get 10.3 (NO MINUS)
Testing pin 1 on J2 and 2 on J1 I get -12.9 (again a minus)

So it seems that 20V and I am getting 12V out which appears to be fine, not sure when is im getting a minus and not sure when the motor isn't spinning?
Do we think that the regulator board is fine, and I should now move onto testing the relay board?

Last edited:
Here is a picture of my relay board

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_011556.jpg
    IMG_20200705_011556.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 11
Look at pg 3-3 of the manual. That has the full schematic of the motor reg and relay circuit.
Pretty straight forward.

The motor reg just supplies 12v to the relay board. j2

1.The relay board uses that 12vdc gn/yel .

2.The relay board also has a switched pulldown from driver board. blu/yellow

1 and 2 are swapped by the driver board relay coil control on j1

Its not going to move unless 12vdc is applied to j2/4 0r j2/7
its not going to move unless j2/6 j2/5 is not pulled down

its not going to move if 12vdc is not applied to j1/2 and drive is not pulling down j1/1

To get the motor moving disconnect j2/5 j2/6 and connect to gnd
To change direction disconnect j1/2 and connect to gnd

To simplfy all that is being done is 12vdc is being applied and driver board is pulling down pins to gnd.

Look at pg 3-3 of the manual. That has the full schematic of the motor reg and relay circuit.
Pretty straight forward.

The motor reg just supplies 12v to the relay board. j2

1.The relay board uses that 12vdc gn/yel .

2.The relay board also has a switched pulldown from driver board. blu/yellow

1 and 2 are swapped by the driver board relay coil control on j1

Its not going to move unless 12vdc is applied to j2/4 0r j2/7
its not going to move unless j2/6 j2/5 is not pulled down

its not going to move if 12vdc is not applied to j1/2 and drive is not pulling down j1/1

To get the motor moving disconnect j2/5 j2/6 and connect to gnd
To change direction disconnect j1/2 and connect to gnd

To simplfy all that is being done is 12vdc is being applied and driver board is pulling down pins to gnd.

Hence my post a month ago on 10th June:

I would see if you have voltage across J2 pins 4 and 5, also 6 and 7 when the head drive is powered from motor regulator assembly

Can I Ask a stupid question, when someone says manually connect to GND, does that have to be the GND on the specific part, or can it go to a braided wire?
is GND just earth?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 11.40.23.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 11.40.23.png
    47 KB · Views: 8
And also, the manually shows different numbered pins than what the actual board suggests?
Normally we read right to left, but the manual shows thepin location numbers to be mixed up?
which one would be correct?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 12.02.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-07-05 at 12.02.41.png
    72.9 KB · Views: 7
GND = earth = 0v

the schematic is a theoretical circuit diagram , to make the schematic easy to read they lay it out logically and not in the order of the physical pins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you,
The schematic is harder to read than looking at the physical board itself. On the schematic it shows the pins not in numbered order

try just grounding for a moment or two the blue yellow wire on pins 5&6. that should move the motor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, everything's plugged in , 5,6 is the same wore just looped between 5&6.
I tried it still in the pins and nothing.
Removed from the pins and still nothing.

Manual motor is set to on in test

I have minus 13 on one grey yellow and 1.4 on the other.

If you look at the picture below. The one with an orange circle gives me -13 and the green circle gives me 1.4

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_130924.jpg
    IMG_20200705_130924.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 15
You really need to check that 12vdc is present where it should be.

All the circuit does is apply 12dc and gnd to a motor through a relay.
And reverses that connection by switching the relay.

Check you have good gnd on pin3 of J2 on motor regulator board.

Use that pin as the gnd point for your 12v measuements if its has a good gnd connection.

J2-1 which is the grey yellow on the motor board to find gives me 1.4

J3-3 gnd to gnd (no wires on that pin ) gives me 0

Lets start at the begining. Please just check what I ask .

Measure across pins 1 and pins 3 of J2 of the regulator board A-13892-2. It should be 12vdc

Thank you for your time :thumbs:

It's not 12v, I get 1.3

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_132349.jpg
    IMG_20200705_132349.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20200705_132344.jpg
    IMG_20200705_132344.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 21
Back
Top Bottom