What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Attitudes on the forum....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 1978 Triumph Spitfire for 25 k recently. A forty year old car. Could have bought a number of new cars at that price.

I bought an Alien Le for 15k last year. Could have bought many pins for that money.

Fact is, it was my choice as the buyer people.

I bought a 1978 Triumph Spitfire for 25 k recently. A forty year old car. Could have bought a number of new cars at that price.

I bought an Alien Le for 15k last year. Could have bought many pins for that money.

Fact is, it was my choice as the buyer people.
I assume you mean 15k Australian dollars for Alien LE? As that equates to about £8k which seems more realistic.

I assume you mean 15k Australian dollars for Alien LE? As that equates to about £8k which seems more realistic.
Gee soft on this are we not? 15k Australian is top dollar so the point is it was my choice as the buyer.Currency exchange has got bugger all to do with this discussion.

Funny did not quote the currency but if you look I am in Oz and that is top dollar here precious.
This is a UK forum, it really wasn't obvious that you're from Oz so I thought I would point it out to those who hadn't clicked on your name, otherwise the prices quoted are misleading.

This is a UK forum, it really wasn't obvious that you're from Oz so I thought I would point it out to those who hadn't clicked on your name, otherwise the prices quoted are misleading.
Sorry actually thought this was a pinball discussion not just for UK residents? And no the prices are not misleading .

What's this? Expensive purchase buyers defending their buys till the bitter end? Well I never.....haha.

Some other sayings

Better to keep quiet and have everyone think you're an idiot - rather than speak and confirm it.'

'If you've got nothing good to say, don't say anything'
Seems around here it is only good to say something that agrees with the clique as I have found in the short time on here.Dare to go beyond that one is called a troll,idiot etc and get a barrage of abuse like that Andy guy.Reading others posts this seems to be common practice amongst the pinside "community"'.Bit Animal Farmish to me.Everyone is equal but some more than others.

Seems around here it is only good to say something that agrees with the clique as I have found in the short time on here.Dare to go beyond that one is called a troll,idiot etc and get a barrage of abuse like that Andy guy.Reading others posts this seems to be common practice amongst the pinside "community"'.Bit Animal Farmish to me.Everyone is equal but some more than others.
A common way to deflect criticism of a held opinion and to avoid the need to re-assess that opinion, is to paint all detractors as being of some sort of non-thinking 'hive-mind' and therefore not worthy of proper consideration.

The irony is that it usually achieves the opposite of what was desired, in terms of portraying character to others.

A common way to deflect criticism of a held opinion and to avoid the need to re-assess that opinion, is to paint all detractors as being of some sort of non-thinking 'hive-mind' and therefore not worthy of proper consideration.

The irony is that it usually achieves the opposite of what was desired, in terms of portraying character to others.
Deflecting criticism of a held opinion? Think not. I have always believed that if one has opinion they should be allowed to voice it.with that one should hear the opposing and go from there. On here it seems people are more willing to wise crack than put forward a counter argument and the hive mentality starts.

You've voiced your opinion. Many times. Then you started calling people 'precious' and it all went south.

As for 'on here' being full of wise cracking hive minds, perhaps if you don't like the kitchen, find another kitchen.

You've voiced your opinion. Many times. Then you started calling people 'precious' and it all went south.

As for 'on here' being full of wise cracking hive minds, perhaps if you don't like the kitchen, find another kitchen.
Yes precious is such an inflammatory word. And your reaction is just typical.Don't agree with us? **** off and go elsewhere. Probably right,it smells in this kitchen.

If you are going to quote me please quote the entire post.not cherry pick.
That doesn't make sense when I wish to draw attention to a very specific part, the most important part to my point - which is that I think your tone is what is raising heckles, not your opinion. I haven't taken you out of context.

It's your choice how you want to come across on a forum but none of the replies since 9am (UTC) yesterday would have happened if you had just posted 'Australian dollars' and no other words at all, heaven knows the forum has plenty of very terse posters as it is.

There's loads of people that flat-out can't stand each other on these forums but it is ordinarily quite civil. Lots of users get on other user's tits constantly but stuff mostly comes out OK. There's no group mentality on the forum except one of generally just trying to do right by one another, and assuming first that there was a misunderstanding rather than an outright attack on your being, if a post reads sour.

That doesn't make sense when I wish to draw attention to a very specific part, the most important part to my point - which is that I think your tone is what is raising heckles, not your opinion. I haven't taken you out of context.

It's your choice how you want to come across on a forum but none of the replies since 9am (UTC) yesterday would have happened if you had just posted 'Australian dollars' and no other words at all, heaven knows the forum has plenty of very terse posters as it is.

There's loads of people that flat-out can't stand each other on these forums but it is ordinarily quite civil. Lots of users get on other user's tits constantly but stuff mostly comes out OK. There's no group mentality on the forum except one of generally just trying to do right by one another, and assuming first that there was a misunderstanding rather than an outright attack on your being, if a post reads sour.
Sorry to differ here again. It does make sense to put the full quote in and not cherry pick.As I am sure you would agree Fleet St,the Australian press, US press all thrive on just that. And the implied tone is nothing like being called a troll ,or this is a UK forum,or expensive buyer sticking to the end ha ha. The AUD thing?As I explained the amount is top dollar in Oz but still got back the misleading suggestion.And finally,on the group mentality and doing right by one another is an interesting comment.
Doing right should mean questioning but not attacking,responding productively not attacking. EVERYONE has a right to speak,NO ONE should be howled down regardless of viewpoint.

I drove across America over the summer and encountered this attitude a lot.

There was a strange perception that people were not allowed to say anything or discuss any contentious topic, due to an imagined group they felt were literally trying to stop them saying anything, even though the people themselves were free to raise this subject and indeed anything else they wished to talk about. It’s fair to say their Overton Window has shifted massively since I last spent time there a decade or so ago.

I am fairly new to this site I though it was a place where fellow pinball people exchanged ideas bought and sold etc. It seems I was wrong! The seems to be a body of members that poke there noses into other people business, making snide rude and offensive remarks about other people just because they have a different opinion. In the case of the "Andy" guy he seems to be the focus of insult and vitreous attack and for why? for selling a machine for a high price?? Geez! If it is to expensive then he will have to reduce the price but to call him the names people have is just plain wrong! I have not heard him make a single offensive remark about others however people called for his removal? Is that right? Then I see someone from Australia was the next target for abuse. For F-ck sake Admin, Put a stop to this public humiliation of anyone who dares to say something that certain people do not agree with. Constructive critisism fine but out and out abuse of ANYONE is just plain wrong GROW UP CHILDREN, This is supposed to be an ADULT site!

As has already been pointing out, @gold1 opinions were not the reason why people were calling for this thread to be dumped, so I'm not sure why you or he are still trying to push that. There was a general tone of argumentativeness that was developing, seemingly for the sake of it, and everyone was quite rightly getting jack of the whole deal. Not sure how that constitutes abuse?

As for Andy, you'll see that he was being questioned for more than the high price of his machine, a subject which had been put to bed weeks ago - the last time you made an appearance, if I recall. Weirdly, you sound a lot like him. Brothers from another mother!

:rolleyes:No you never.....actually understood the point I was making in the posts

Oh, I understand perfectly...… Mayte.

You'll cry, whinge and moan, others will offer their input and you'll do more of said crying and moaning. When you're done whinging you'll sit back and read the replies whilst feeling like the master of your universe, then rinse and repeat till you, or others get bored and move on.

I reckon you'll get bored soon. If not, i suggest more whining. Seems to have helped you greatly thus far. :thumbs:😂

I am fairly new to this site I though it was a place where fellow pinball people exchanged ideas bought and sold etc. It seems I was wrong! The seems to be a body of members that poke there noses into other people business, making snide rude and offensive remarks about other people just because they have a different opinion. In the case of the "Andy" guy he seems to be the focus of insult and vitreous attack and for why? for selling a machine for a high price?? Geez! If it is to expensive then he will have to reduce the price but to call him the names people have is just plain wrong! I have not heard him make a single offensive remark about others however people called for his removal? Is that right? Then I see someone from Australia was the next target for abuse. For F-ck sake Admin, Put a stop to this public humiliation of anyone who dares to say something that certain people do not agree with. Constructive critisism fine but out and out abuse of ANYONE is just plain wrong GROW UP CHILDREN, This is supposed to be an ADULT site!

"Ruuuun to thaaaa hills"

"Ruuun for yooooorrr liiiiiiiife"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom