What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arcade 1UP Cabs - Tempest/Major Havoc

Man, whilst it’s nice to see a few more people access ‘arcade’ games, the idea of playing these Atari games on a non-vector monitor is just a non starter for me.

That vector glow just can’t be emulated and it’s really not the same experience otherwise.

Yeah the stock default answer from any vector mame usage. But the point here is to discuss whats possible with these cabs and specifically the ones that are vector games where monitors are almost unobtanium and hard to keep going (for me personally not an issue) Of course they aren't going to the same as the originals, but as mentioned in post 1 space is a big factor now here and also in most collections and after 30 years of collecting and repairing everything under the sun myself, new ideas and alternatives should not be discounted immediately. Plus the idea of upgrading these and the self assembly idea appeals to me. Self assembly pinball playfield kits would also be something i'd like.

Something else to bear in mind here is after a long time collecting original games etc variation is the key to keeping your mojo whether that is a switch to original arcade cabs, novelty games, mame cabs, snk tv setups, scratch builds etc etc

Last edited:
Now that sounds interesting col. If making something use 15mm plywood and get the stuff with the black vinyl already on the side. How about making some asteroids deluxe cabaret style cabs to, or is the length limited still on the new machine?

Some plastic protectors for the top of the control panels could be something else you could make with ease. Thin 1mm or something similar.
I’m limited to 900mm hence the 2 part build. I hav the 2 screen mame setup with changing Marquee to match game.
ive also a lot of ideas like speaker lights either side of the marquee and endless CP designs I can play around woth to get perfect.
ive already done a custom CP cover for someone’s Arcade1up to protect their art as lots saying they wear out quickly without protection.
Time is my only factor as I’m a little busy with RL and other projects on the go.

Yeah the stock default answer from any vector mame usage. But the point here is to discuss whats possible with these cabs and specifically the ones that are vector games where monitors are almost unobtanium and hard to keep going (for me personally not an issue) Of course they aren't going to the same as the originals, but as mentioned in post 1 space is a big factor now here and also in most collections and after 30 years of collecting and repairing everything under the sun myself, new ideas and alternatives should not be discounted immediately. Plus the idea of upgrading these and the self assembly idea appeals to me. Self assembly pinball playfield kits would also be something i'd like.

Something else to bear in mind here is after a long time collecting original games etc variation is the key to keeping your mojo whether that is a switch to original arcade cabs, novelty games, mame cabs, snk tv setups, scratch builds etc etc

Agreed,,,,There are a lot of cool mods on the Star Wars cab (see link)but not being very technical are well outside my scope.
However, playing the new Star Wars squadrons on PlayStation VR with a HOTAS has fulfilled X wing pilot aspirations quite nicely and I’m sure it’s much more impressive on PC VR

With a little bit of help from @tyke I was able to follow this instructional video and now as well as the original 3 SW games I can play any arcade flying game including SW Battlepods which is epic!

Now that sounds interesting col. If making something use 15mm plywood and get the stuff with the black vinyl already on the side. How about making some asteroids deluxe cabaret style cabs to, or is the length limited still on the new machine?

Some plastic protectors for the top of the control panels could be something else you could make with ease. Thin 1mm or something similar.

Funnily enough Col made me a plastic protector for a Arcade1up last week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Picked these up on eBay this week, so in theory could convert a std cab to run the asteroids games. Nice little board to. Was cheap enough to mess about with

control panel is ok , the buttons are pretty nasty though but easy enough to upgrade

Not sure what I’ll do yet. The Star Wars cabs are certainly nice but don’t fit anything else vector wise or this panel as far as I can tell

might still go down the scratch build asteroids cabaret cabinet route and use original parts

6B7B7ED1-8A13-4A92-A9F4-8A612F21883C.jpeg80B0099B-E5D1-48DD-B5FE-734B9D232966.jpeg

Has anyone seen starwars 1up in UK stores yet? I know they are available at silly prices from the US but not seen in UK yet
Really like the look of the Driving mod video.
Paul

Has anyone seen starwars 1up in UK stores yet? I know they are available at silly prices from the US but not seen in UK yet
Really like the look of the Driving mod video.
Paul
I refer to my earlier post...Smyths "were" going to have them, and they cocked up, or Arcade1up just can't make enough for external markets outside US, they can't even give a decent update about their pinball machines either.. There is one available on fleabay in UK £750...well he can go take a hike at that price. There was a guy on VAC that was getting a job lot in, but i never saw them appear, unless all the pre-orders went before he even put them up on his page.

I refer to my earlier post...Smyths "were" going to have them, and they cocked up, or Arcade1up just can't make enough for external markets outside US, they can't even give a decent update about their pinball machines either.. There is one available on fleabay in UK £750...well he can go take a hike at that price. There was a guy on VAC that was getting a job lot in, but i never saw them appear, unless all the pre-orders went before he even put them up on his page.
The note i saw said arcade1up acknowledged the issue and said the issue was down to manufacturing delays and they would be being stocked in the uk next year. Pretty vague really but i guess they know now that the star wars cab is the one everybody wants inc proper arcade collectors. For me its a shame the control panel fitment is different and you cant run a tempest and or major havoc control panel on it. Unless i've missed something.

that isn't the case. The first wave of 1ups didn't come with the riser. it was an optional extra. I had the tempest cab. But never got round to building it. Played one at Costco and the spinner was ****e. Got the updated spinner. but sold it on and bought a real tempest cab.

there is a tempest cabaret also but so hard to find. I've been on the look out for one.

I'm refurbing the tempest cab then its going into my office.

that isn't the case. The first wave of 1ups didn't come with the riser. it was an optional extra. I had the tempest cab. But never got round to building it. Played one at Costco and the spinner was ****e. Got the updated spinner. but sold it on and bought a real tempest cab.

The question was about whether the costco deals include the riser and stool, which they do. I'm off down there for butchers tomorrow and my daughter loves these places to. I agree the controls are ****e as stock so maybe this whole discussion will lead me back to the scratch build but hey no worries. The little emulation board is a possibility to use with an lcd monitor in a scratch built cab until i fix my asteroids pcb and find a real vector monitor or build one from parts to.

Original parts will be useful for me generally though more so, as it will help me fix other peoples boards more easily.

Had a trip to Costco earlier this week...

experiment time 😁 the embedded controller boards actually run Linux and mane so that makes things a lot more interesting... some boards even had hidden games included in them

04F8F494-952D-4C8E-990D-259B63E66194.jpeg
Fits in a Mini Cooper s no problem to 😂

B6E12044-2DED-462C-B889-E1576A336042.jpeg635E8736-33BE-4A49-9278-254CBD847D87.jpeg1239BF5A-E7E6-433E-92A5-19A8D2DC0D41.jpeg

Last edited:
Also, i have finally got some battlezone cabaret plans converted to the correct size :) Hmmmm, now i need to find someone to give me a quote for cutting this lot out of 15mm plywood!!

Or maybe i could just get the raw square pieces cut out and route out the cut outs and side cuts myself. If going this route i'd have to route the t-moulding grove out anyway.

Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 14.39.37.png

Ending up with something like this would be awesome

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 18.30.37.png

Sizes of these cabs are 1384.3mm height x 512.6mm wide (using 15mm plywood) x 606.4mm depth

Sounds to me like you’re in the market for an MakerMade M2 Jim... can you do a review on that for us also please?? :)

Sounds to me like you’re in the market for an MakerMade M2 Jim... can you do a review on that for us also please?? :)
Holy Crap , that thing looks awesome.

I was only talking to my missus the other day about the fact my dad had to sell his wood working workshop with 20ft shop bot, belt sander/thicknesser, planners, circular saws, lathes when he became too ill to run it and that it would really have been a real asset for me now. Always look forwards though..

Last edited:
Holy Crap , that thing looks awesome.

I was only talking to my missus the other day about the fact my dad had to sell his wood working workshop with 20ft shop bot, belt sander/thicknesser, planners, circular saws, lathes when he became too ill to run it and that it would really have been a real asset for me now. Awards look forwards though..

Sounds like heaven mate - my idea of it anyway...

There’s a chap on ukvac chrisbarriedesigns he’s also on Facebook that can make these sorts of things

if anyone interested someone on VAC uk is importing a few 1up SW uprights, wants £595, i’ve put my name down, thinking i’m going to be stuck in during the covid winter, yes paying a premium i know, still if any one has the original 83 proper one...then i will gladly have that too....but i might end up with finding some unicorn poo sooner.

Small update, the scratch build plans are progressing. I have found a place that will cut all the panels i need in plywood. Will be using 18mm external and 12mm for some parts internal parts. Then i'll be getting some templates made from cols pinball palace, to help with some of the cuts, or using some extra pieces of straight ply to guide the router with slots and recesses etc. Should be a fun project. I have a full 'cutting list' drawn up. The arcade 1up mame hardware will be used internally to hopefully though there will be room for real pcbs in there to.

Some parts arrived for the atari cabaret scratch build

American Walnut Veneer for the sides

IMG_7922.JPGIMG_7923.JPGIMG_7924.JPG

This looks cool and has the original segment score display stuff to. Retrofit a laser disc player into the riser? 😂😂 Never did find an original dragons lair cab...

F9936467-6A2A-4807-AAD4-49E7910D8992.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom