What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Arcade 1UP Cabs - Tempest/Major Havoc

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Anyone got one of these or thinking about getting one? I know they aren't original arcade cabs, but i 've been thinking about making a cabaret cab to run some tempest and major havoc recently. And now thinking hmmm its tempting to get one of these and mod it bit. Also i quote like the fact they are flat pack self assembly jobs!! Getting an original atari vector game would be nice, but the space and unique cabs kills it for me, hence the cabaret idea.

As space is an issue for us all and i already have 2 dedicated arcade cabs, i'm thinking these with a riser might be similar to a cabaret in size and feel. Arcade cabs in general are big empty boxes anyway so making then alittle smaller is a good idea. Not sure about their virtual pin idea though. pinball needs to be physical foe me.

Also costco have then for £389 with the riser and a tailored bar stool. Not a bad price really. Colour dmd price!

https://www.costco.co.uk/BlackFrida...ft-10-116cm-Pac-Man-Arcade-Cabinet/p/1222552B

They dont have the tempest/major havoc version though :(

These decals look nice to

https://www.escapepodonline.com/products/arcade1up-tempest-complete-art-kit

TempestA1UP_1024x1024_88b081e4-7f91-4bde-846e-c65c04e8d571_1024x1024.jpg

Cab sizes with riser

DmYDc-VU0AAod4y.jpg

The first wave of 1up cabs seem quite hard to get hold of in the UK now. They seem much more popular in the US where they were regularly on sale much cheaper.
There were also issues with the spinner, more clicky than a smooth spinning mechanism. But a better spinner would be a fairly easy upgrade.

Jim, plenty of youtube channels on the topic, i was going to get the SW until Symths c*cked up their UK orders. Ideal mod units.....im tempted by peoples efforts as a TRON cab. the monitors are pants, no way to adjust the brightness, which made the first wave of SW look bad, but you swap it out, or even by boards to control that now. I still think they are expensive piece of wood if you are going to rip the guts out and do something, but thats my cheapskate opinion. However i do like the small footprint, ideal for my cabin.

They have a processor board that directly drives the display directly via LVDS (I presume). Basically bog all that you can change easily without throwing it all away. The controls plug into board and it has an external PSU.

David

Jim, plenty of youtube channels on the topic, i was going to get the SW until Symths c*cked up their UK orders. Ideal mod units.....im tempted by peoples efforts as a TRON cab. the monitors are pants, no way to adjust the brightness, which made the first wave of SW look bad, but you swap it out, or even by boards to control that now. I still think they are expensive piece of wood if you are going to rip the guts out and do something, but thats my cheapskate opinion. However i do like the small footprint, ideal for my cabin.

Yeah the Star Wars cabinet looked nice with the riser and the control panel. What happened with smyths orders? i see some titles with them but not all?

I think £390 inc vat at costco with the riser and the stool isnt that bad actually. when you compare to other pinball things you can get for that.

In the US though they seem to be on offer in supermarkets sometimes for $75 which is a real bargain!

I think these get hate because they aren't original sized cab designs and are obviously made to a price, but if you think about them in terms of cabaret designs they look pretty good. It seems like one way to get an atari vector game setup without having to have 5 standalone cabs!

The smyths near me has tmnt, mk, sf2 and a couple of others instock i have the had an sf2 one for a couple of years now which i modded with rasberry pi, i changed all the joysticks and buttons added 2 credit buttons, and brought a tv connector board from the monitor to raspberry pi from amazon, all pretty cheap but as said u pretty much only need the cab and monitor the rest is throw away, the tmnt l one looks awesome

I was in Costco in Derby last Saturday and they had the Pacman and Mortal Kombat ones in stock right by the entrance. I quite fancy one of the Star Wars ones, mainly for the yoke controls, but the rest I'm not too fussed about as I've got my Dino King with Pi2Jamma for any joystick and buttons games (although currently I'm only running Megadrive games in it). I guess the ones with the unique controls are the ones to go for :thumbs:

I was in Costco in Derby last Saturday and they had the Pacman and Mortal Kombat ones in stock right by the entrance. I quite fancy one of the Star Wars ones, mainly for the yoke controls, but the rest I'm not too fussed about as I've got my Dino King with Pi2Jamma for any joystick and buttons games (although currently I'm only running Megadrive games in it). I guess the ones with the unique controls are the ones to go for :thumbs:
Yeah that’s what I was thinking the vector control panel is handy now with the updated scroll wheel. And the list of games they chose has my 2 fav vectors in it so no brainier. The Star Wars cab does look nice though!!I think they even made a sit down version to!! Now if they were cheap bastards threw and threw why do this? Ha ha

having the stools and riser included with the Costco thing is making it tempting to!!!

Tbh mate @myPinballs I think I prefer the non sit-down one with the riser on it. It's getting a bit big with that seat and I don't think it looks that good :D

Tbh mate @myPinballs I think I prefer the non sit-down one with the riser on it. It's getting a bit big with that seat and I don't think it looks that good :D
yeah its not one nor the other is it. the risers are the best i think, as i think they look more like cabaret cabs

This is probably the best cab of them all.

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 14.57.33.png

Though the burger time one on their site looks cool as does the ms pacman one. Man, i'm disappearing down a rabbit hole... ha ha ha

Last edited:
Yeah the Star Wars cabinet looked nice with the riser and the control panel. What happened with smyths orders? i see some titles with them but not all?

I think £390 inc vat at costco with the riser and the stool isnt that bad actually. when you compare to other pinball things you can get for that.

In the US though they seem to be on offer in supermarkets sometimes for $75 which is a real bargain!

I think these get hate because they aren't original sized cab designs and are obviously made to a price, but if you think about them in terms of cabaret designs they look pretty good. It seems like one way to get an atari vector game setup without having to have 5 standalone cabs!
@myPinballs Smyths put them up for pre-orders in August, then i get an email last week saying saying sorry, the supplier can't build them, and here is a £25 voucher.....a lot of cheesed off people including myself as it was a xmas present to myself. Then what a suprise you get someone in the UK sticking one up (with the bench) for £750 on sleazebay, chancer....no way on earth would i be paying that much.

If you are dedicated, and have the skills, and tools ( i don't) then how bout converting one to a proper sit down.

I like them, thinking about selling a load of my dedicated cabs, having a nice clean 1up arcade row and some newer pins with the money gained from ‘downgrading’

Man, whilst it’s nice to see a few more people access ‘arcade’ games, the idea of playing these Atari games on a non-vector monitor is just a non starter for me.

That vector glow just can’t be emulated and it’s really not the same experience otherwise.

Man, whilst it’s nice to see a few more people access ‘arcade’ games, the idea of playing these Atari games on a non-vector monitor is just a non starter for me.

That vector glow just can’t be emulated and it’s really not the same experience otherwise.
I’ve seen a cart you can get for an old vectrex system, that takes output from the pc mame version and will play, all be in b&w on a vectrex....just google it....great effort i must say.

I like them, thinking about selling a load of my dedicated cabs, having a nice clean 1up arcade row and some newer pins with the money gained from ‘downgrading’
Post any sales here i’m sure there will be some interest and will be as not as snotty as some of the comments on the uk vac board.

Oh for a colour vector monitor aye....i will ask my unicorn to poo one out after he finished doing a rainbow.

I’ve got the Star Wars one. Plays as close to the original as you could really hope for and the lesser known empire game (was an upgrade board on the original cabs , I believe, I remember seeing a few of them in the wild when I was a kid)is actually really good with some really nice music and fun gameplay.

I’ve looked at these - but decided to build a full size one (very slowly) - based on the defender cab. Thinking I may regret it based on the comments here.

The plan with the full size cab is to double as a storage cabinet, for some of my very important cables and widgets that I haven’t needed or used in 25 years...

I assume the small footprint is quite light, and the cab can move about when you’re dodging Galaxians or that last minute turn in Pac-Man? How rigid/sturdy are they?

I’ve looked at these - but decided to build a full size one (very slowly) - based on the defender cab. Thinking I may regret it based on the comments here.

The plan with the full size cab is to double as a storage cabinet, for some of my very important cables and widgets that I haven’t needed or used in 25 years...

I assume the small footprint is quite light, and the cab can move about when you’re dodging Galaxians or that last minute turn in Pac-Man? How rigid/sturdy are they?
I’ve got mine on a laminate floor and things get pretty hectic, a few rounds in, when the Tie’s are laying down fire but it doesn’t really move about. It’s actually surprisingly heavy. I was concerned about the same thing and read about some workarounds on Reddit regarding weighing down the riser but once I got it built, there was no need.

I don’t own one but have played quite a few with the little fella.
on the base they are quite sturdy but don’t expect them to be anywhere near the old school classic cabs.
I’m with you though I’ve built dozens of mame cabs over the years but now I have big Helga I’m gonna make one similar to the Arcade one up in 2 parts but with more heft to it. Watch this space.

Got it shipped over from the US ( last December I think) from a guy on eBay, I obviously had to pay quite handsomely for the privilege but tbh it was really the only arcade cab that was a dream to own (bar maybe outrun)and had never really been emulated well, due to the yoke controller. So was a bit of an extravagance on myself but I have never regretted it and still often fire it up for a few games for a quick nostalgia hit.

I don’t own one but have played quite a few with the little fella.
on the base they are quite sturdy but don’t expect them to be anywhere near the old school classic cabs.
I’m with you though I’ve built dozens of mame cabs over the years but now I have big Helga I’m gonna make one similar to the Arcade one up in 2 parts but with more heft to it. Watch this space.

Now that sounds interesting col. If making something use 15mm plywood and get the stuff with the black vinyl already on the side. How about making some asteroids deluxe cabaret style cabs to, or is the length limited still on the new machine?

Some plastic protectors for the top of the control panels could be something else you could make with ease. Thin 1mm or something similar.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom