What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the James Bond 007 Hype train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Not just nib prices rising. I just reordered some pcbs and components from china. prices up 35% compared to when i bought the exact same things earlier this year.
Yup - just gott look at those cheapie "kits" (Basically bag of bits - solder it yourself) and the prices have even gone up on those too!!

Lonnie on code, hopefully Mike & George do the rules stuff and Lonnie is just coding it all in. Prices are way too high now and Bond is too good of a theme for classic Lonnie shoot every shot 3 times rule set.
Lonnie is not a bad coder, he's coded some great games. They may not have the polish of a Lyman game but was Lyman a bad coder because his games took so long to be any good (Spiderman 18 months+, Metallica 18 months+, ACDC 18 months-2 years etc)?

@PinballNews thanks for the above Martin, would love to hear your thoughts on the game on obviously very early code. Really liked the look of the right ramp to left orbit/ramp combo

The left orbit looks delicious and does the right ramp is really nice.

Looks like the upper flipper will need some dialing in

Isn't every game a "brick fest" if you can't make the shots, doesn't mean others can't make the shots. We've all had games where you can't hit a thing, doesn't make the title we were playing bad

Yeah, but what shot is there to make in this area? Anything left of the standup target is just going to clunk around the playfield

C84DBD2F-9DAD-4473-8D5B-4A71ACA7BB2C.jpeg

Yeah it wasn't a criticism, I can't put my finger on it but Gomez games have a certain clunk that others don't. It doesn't detract from Deadpool at all, it's a brilliant layout. BM66 slightly less so but still a cool game.

I think Stumblor was onto something...
Your missing the point, all Gomez games have clunk and brick shot paths, it’s his style. Deadpool has a little of it here and there, the colossus shot itself is pure clunk that shot is never smooth. But doesn’t stop it being a fantastic and fun game.

Last edited:
Hi all.

Sorry for the bricked shots. Hard to get 'dialed-in' the first time you play a game, especially knowing this is your one chance to get any video. ;)

OK, opinions. I found it a real mix of fast flowing shots - right ramp, right orbit, lock lane - and some pretty tight shots. The left orbit is just like the Loki ramp on Avengers but probably even tighter. You'll see I shot that lots of times and the ball rattled to a stop just above the upper flipper. Quite a good way to stage it for a side shot I guess, but it's great when it makes the ramp. In the video the Jetpack Multiball is given as a High Stakes award which is a shame as I wanted to show the 'Bond on a Wand' action, but there you go. You only get one take.

Comboing the ramps/orbits is certainly achievable and was great fun, even without getting anything for it. The upper flipper seemed to hit the side shots better with a fast orbit feeding it, but that might just be me.

The Bird One was pretty inactive on both the Premium and the Pro. Hopefully the software will improve how it's driven to give some more action there.

In fact, it really showed how much you rely on the code to make a game really fun, as there are plenty of times with that early code when a shot or a target elicits no reaction.

Other random thoughts: The Q shot is really tight and quite dangerous if you miss. The left side scoop swallows the ball quite a lot. The centre lock shot can be shot from both lower flippers. There are only two pop bumpers but they work well. There was only one Q mode in the game: Q's Ring which lit all shots for 1M.

So, very early code. Too early in fact. The games were supposed to be updated before the show but the updates failed, so they went with what you see. That wasn't supposed to be shown, so I'll have to remove the video in a bit. Hope to have some newer code to show you soon though.

Hi all.

Sorry for the bricked shots. Hard to get 'dialed-in' the first time you play a game, especially knowing this is your one chance to get any video. ;)

OK, opinions. I found it a real mix of fast flowing shots - right ramp, right orbit, lock lane - and some pretty tight shots. The left orbit is just like the Loki ramp on Avengers but probably even tighter. You'll see I shot that lots of times and the ball rattled to a stop just above the upper flipper. Quite a good way to stage it for a side shot I guess, but it's great when it makes the ramp. In the video the Jetpack Multiball is given as a High Stakes award which is a shame as I wanted to show the 'Bond on a Wand' action, but there you go. You only get one take.

Comboing the ramps/orbits is certainly achievable and was great fun, even without getting anything for it. The upper flipper seemed to hit the side shots better with a fast orbit feeding it, but that might just be me.

The Bird One was pretty inactive on both the Premium and the Pro. Hopefully the software will improve how it's driven to give some more action there.

In fact, it really showed how much you rely on the code to make a game really fun, as there are plenty of times with that early code when a shot or a target elicits no reaction.

Other random thoughts: The Q shot is really tight and quite dangerous if you miss. The left side scoop swallows the ball quite a lot. The centre lock shot can be shot from both lower flippers. There are only two pop bumpers but they work well. There was only one Q mode in the game: Q's Ring which lit all shots for 1M.

So, very early code. Too early in fact. The games were supposed to be updated before the show but the updates failed, so they went with what you see. That wasn't supposed to be shown, so I'll have to remove the video in a bit. Hope to have some newer code to show you soon though.
Looked good considering the early code, glad to see they went with a smaller video screen, even though there are remastered versions of the bond films, like BM66 the smaller screen helps keep things crisp.

Hopefully Lonnie and co, jazz up the frame a little bm66 had a great border around clips on the lcd screen that really tied the smaller video clips together with the game.

Would be amazing his the code has hints of bm66 in it especially the villain/henchmen modes allowing you to play up to a cash out or continue, risk/reward situation, that was one of the best parts of bm66.

And obviously thank you for the video Martin.

Sure but too many shots (Houdini) or shots at a less natural angle or combinations of angles can create games that feel different to say a Stern Star Trek. This can create some awesome stuff though, Deadpool is a brilliant layout that feels like it shouldn't work Again, to me 'brick' isn't necessarily bad, JP2 is tough to shoot and therefore can be a bit bricky. It's my favourite game.

Opinions are great, everyone's allowed one 😉

Proof will be in the pudding. Plenty of games don't look great at first and then end up amazing. I hated GB the first time I played it

Gomez is the king of clunk 😂

Not a bad thing, George always makes interesting games, colossus is a clunky shot no matter how you hit it, but it’s a bloody fun shot and it was a genius idea by George (think this is one of the two main shots Elwin helped with on DP) to put a shot in that space.

Most designers would have put a rail there and had that space wasted under a ramp, I would certainly always take another shot over wasted space.

Is it actually driven Martin? I assumed by the way it's moving in vids seen so far it's just on a spring and wobbling about due to machine movement and ball hits.

Back
Top Bottom