What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All aboard for the Godzilla Hype Train!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
As I've got a GZ Pro incoming I was wondering what the recommended mods are? I've had a look through this thread and picked out a few but interested to know people's recommendations. The ones I've found or thought of so far:
What else is there? I've seen all these Mezel mod type ones with various 3d printed buildings, electricity pylons etc.....are they any good?
I prefer the second Godzilla listed - that's the one on my Xmas list at least. Also have the sign mod been languishing at Heathrow since last Friday :(

Shaker works very well in this game. Always prefer mirror’s over art blades, like the way they add more light to the pf.

Also have the 2 pack that Craig recommended, have put both toys in my game happy with them!

As I've got a GZ Pro incoming I was wondering what the recommended mods are? I've had a look through this thread and picked out a few but interested to know people's recommendations. The ones I've found or thought of so far:

Davey's neon sign mod - this is coming with the game 

@stumblor and @Jazzbouche flying saucer mod - not available yet as far as I understand?

Side art blades or mirror blades - any thoughts on what looks better?

Invisglass - got a sheet I can put in

Shaker - might take the one out of my TMNT as it doesn't do a great deal in that, is it better on GZ?

Better Mechagodzilla - I've hopefully ordered that 2pk that Craig @roadshow16 recommended

Better Godzilla - what's the preference between these 2?

WPT flipper cooling fans

Col probably does a load of cool plastics for this @Colywobbles what have you got mate?

What else is there? I've seen all these Mezel mod type ones with various 3d printed buildings, electricity pylons etc.....are they any good?
Sounds like a good list there Chris.
Ive pretty much got the same, except don’t have any art blades yet. Also waiting for the saucer mod.
A word of warning, and I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I have Davey’s sign and a pin sound shaker motor and they don’t play well together, so had to unplug the shaker until I can get the mod board that allows multiple 12v mods.
Id be interested to know if anyone else has this issue.

Sounds like a good list there Chris.
Ive pretty much got the same, except don’t have any art blades yet. Also waiting for the saucer mod.
A word of warning, and I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I have Davey’s sign and a pin sound shaker motor and they don’t play well together, so had to unplug the shaker until I can get the mod board that allows multiple 12v mods.
Id be interested to know if anyone else has this issue.
What problem have you been experiencing?
I'd guess most people who have the Tokyo neon sign mod are also running a shaker, and none else has mentioned a problem?

@ronsplooter
Apart from the cooling fans, which I'd say are essential for any GZ (obvously) a shaker motor is also a must.

There are also lots of periods through the game where all of the GI goes out while the ball is still live, so some kind of external lighting is preferable, if you normally play with the lights out.

Cosmetically the mechgodzilla you've bought is great, and the GZ that comes with it is acceptable. I haven't seen a set of art blades I NEED yet.

Could well have a new UFO mod coming soon as well.

Few weeks away on the lolly ufo (hopefully!) And checkout the @Jazzbouche atomic godzilla if you haven't already 😁

Building mods (for the back) in the pipelines also ✌️

What problem have you been experiencing?
I'd guess most people who have the Tokyo neon sign mod are also running a shaker, and none else has mentioned a problem?

There's been 3 incidents so far of the sign board failing, and all three have involved games with shakers (both stock and third party). Although the link is circumstantial, I strongly suspect its something to do with EMF voltage spikes created by the shaker on that cabinet node board 12v line (although the shaker output is supposed to be protected)

You're right though, there are many many people running shakers that have no problem at all. So possibly something unique to certain shakers, or shakers set to certain settings which cause the issue.

Either way, I'm close to having what I hope is a solution for those affected, which involves creating a new 12v source from the same 48v line that supplies the cab node board (same method as the pinball life accessory power board).

Thanks all for the info and advice :thumbs:

I ordered the 2nd of the GZ figures as it seemed to match a bit better. Also sounds like I'll be swapping the shaker out of TMNT and into GZ :D I'll need to make a call on mirror vs art blades.

The other thing I didn't include on the list is powder coated armour so interested to know what colours people have gone with?

@Wayne J I'll give you a shout re: flipper cooling fans as I\m definitely going to want those.
@Colywobbles I'll give you a shout re: plastics

I also need to order some different colour rubbers......I saw online that someone said there's only 3 rubbers on the whole game (not including flipper rubbers)....is that right?

There's slingshot rubbers, but that's it - apart from posts - and this one

Attachments

• 1670259687857638833517480447085.jpg
    1670259687857638833517480447085.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 25
Just another question about these mods - i have the premium so prob some
mods not for me

Fan coolers - gone with wayne’s based on price and some advice

Roof top mod - Is hurryuppinball the only source ? this mod is a no brainer and confused why it isn’t stock

Mecha shield spinner mod by hurry up - what does this actually do ? does it stop the ball jumping up onto the wire form ?

tesla poles, ufo upgrade, tokyo sign, right ramp speed sign

Godzilla change - 2nd amazon option - can you get this to have the spine glow ? or is that only with the green version ?

Side walls - Mirror for me

Translite led upgrade

Launch chute side protector - again how does this assist ? i can’t see any issues with mine at present apart from the ball going up right side of mecha some times. I have adjusted the auto eject as this was too powerfull

Aesthetic plastic upgrades from collywobbles

Is there anything else ?

Just another question about these mods - i have the premium so prob some
mods not for me

Fan coolers - gone with wayne’s based on price and some advice

Roof top mod - Is hurryuppinball the only source ? this mod is a no brainer and confused why it isn’t stock
You may not need that mod. We don’t have it and haven’t missed it (pin must have 5,000 plays now - we’ve had it a year).
Mecha shield spinner mod by hurry up - what does this actually do ? does it stop the ball jumping up onto the wire form ?

Nothing. It’s decorative. We have a different design of the same mod, which is cheaper, and doesn’t light up.

tesla poles, ufo upgrade, tokyo sign, right ramp speed sign
I have:

Diddy Tesla Strike towers - look amazing, break easily
UFO upgrade - again, cosmetic, but I think it’s a must-have. Various ones, often inexpensive
Tokyo Sign - again, very visible on playfield, looks great, but cosmetic
Right ramp speed sign - never really appealed to me

Godzilla change - 2nd amazon option - can you get this to have the spine glow ? or is that only with the green version ?

I’ve ordered the one with the Stumblor pinball accessories.

Side walls - Mirror for me

Translite led upgrade

Launch chute side protector - again how does this assist ? i can’t see any issues with mine at present apart from the ball going up right side of mecha some times. I have adjusted the auto eject as this was too powerfull

Aesthetic plastic upgrades from collywobbles
I have the plastic protectors from Col, and the official Stern side blades, but nothing else. I also have Cliffy Protectors, which - for me - are basically a ‘must have’ because we hammer our pins.

Is there anything else ?
I have a bridge plastic mod from Art of Pinball (again, cosmetic, and looks nice), a metal protector/replacement for the bridge plastic above the captive ball (a must-have, they can and do break), and a moderately-odious Mazer Cannon from Mezel Mods that I wouldn’t recommend to anyone, but - hey - we’ve got it.

Personally, our next mod will be speaker panel lighting (the flaming flames ones with the buildings):

I also have an official Stern shooter rod (not amazing, but okay) and some magnets that cover the various warning texts that come from the pin out of the factory. I’m also going to buy the official side armour.

thank you

So i have some querions

What does the side armour do ?
The cliffy protectors ?
does the roof top ball drain not disappoint you ?

Speakers and sound are an issue at present, even though i built the room with sound proof insulation in the ceiling , every damn little noise still travels up into his bedroom. So i need to invest in sound proofing before any sound upgrades

perhaps if it not an issue and prob easier to answer - would a few photos of your machine be possible please ?

thank you

So i have some querions

What does the side armour do ?
Nothing. It’s decorative. It protects the art around the buttons from greasy fingermarks, but - mostly - a decoration.

The cliffy protectors ?
Protects the high traffic areas of the pin (e.g. around the scoop) from wear. May not be important unless you hammer the pins like an arcade (we do. Most vintage pins with deferred maintenance break down in our house within weeks).

does the roof top ball drain not disappoint you ?
No. It just doesn’t really happen. Balls come down the middle, hit the flippers, and I catch them. If they disappear SDTM, the ball save is on for ages anyway… [shrug].

Thank you , those protector ring a bell now

So my building multiball goes SDTM every time, saying that compared to my other games a lot of shots seem to be lost down the middle too

Did you say the roof top mods were available in the UK to buy?

"So my building multiball goes SDTM every time"

This is due to how the game is levelled. Didnt have the issue at all, then moved the pin in the room a bit and now have the issue.

If need be re-level the machine or can just put a small clear adhesive dot on the building to solve the issue.

The hurry up pinball mod is totally over engineered unless you want it for aesthetics?!? Its FDM printed so not great in that department either IMHO.

"So my building multiball goes SDTM every time"

This is due to how the game is levelled. Didnt have the issue at all, then moved the pin in the room a bit and now have the issue.

If need be re-level the machine or can just put a small clear adhesive dot on the building to solve the issue.

The hurry up pinball mod is totally over engineered unless you want it for aesthetics?!? Its FDM printed so not great in that department either IMHO.

I use a 3ft top quality straight edge level. it’s bob on. That’s what i find odd. checked top bottom and middle of the game

i’ll have a think about the dot - thanks

I use a 3ft top quality straight edge level. it’s bob on. That’s what i find odd. checked top bottom and middle of the game

i’ll have a think about the dot - thanks

I leveled mine in every way possible but all three balls went straight down the middle regardless of set-up and it annoyed the hell out of me.

I've also played a machine at Flipout and none went down the middle so clearly a fault that's only prevalent on some machines but most certainly a design fault. The roof thingy is a good mod and has worked for me.

Easiest fix ever.
The plastic at the base of the building where the wire form attaches.
Put a washer or two, job done5CBC3ADA-E43D-41D9-AD45-B4E9C07EE17D.jpeg9D4EA550-CEA7-4E05-8DB7-237604B4C820.jpeg

Last edited:
nope, that doesn’t work. that’s my other gripe. there seems to be so much more open space around the flippers , like if i hit the right ramp with the top left flipper and the power isn’t enough it will go SDTM and flippers won’t touch it

Does this game allow for the post to be fitted like there is on whirlwind or is that sacrilidge ?

i’m gonna go with the mod - thanks Gonzo for that. Can i get in UK or only from USA ?

nope, that doesn’t work. that’s my other gripe. there seems to be so much more open space around the flippers , like if i hit the right ramp with the top left flipper and the power isn’t enough it will go SDTM and flippers won’t touch it

Does this game allow for the post to be fitted like there is on whirlwind or is that sacrilidge ?

i’m gonna go with the mod - thanks Gonzo for that. Can i get in UK or only from USA ?

You're not supposed to make the ramp from the upper flipper mate (this is also one of my irritations with the game and one of the best features of AIQ).

I got the mod from a forum member but believe they are from the the US. Phil is right about it looking good too.

Try and persevere with the game though and maybe set it to 4 or 5 balls so as you can enjoy it.

Definitely don't drill a post into the playfield would be my advice

i’m in not rush to drill holes, just doing my research on possibilities

What is AIQ ? Hang on - might have an idea - you’re referencing to another game ?

i’m pretty sure i need an update - and of course i’ll play the game a lot more before adjusting anything. Just have a big interest in this game as with everyone else i’m loving it

i’ll up it to 5 balls too. I had been playing 4 player.

Last edited:
i’m in not rush to drill holes, just doing my research on possibilities

What is AIQ ? Hang on - might have an idea - you’re referencing to another game ?

i’m pretty sure i need an update - and of course i’ll play the game a lot more before adjusting anything. Just have a big interest in this game as with everyone else i’m loving it

i’ll up it to 5 balls too. I had been playing 4 player.

Sorry.... yes. AIQ is Avengers Infinity Quest which is another game by the same designer but the right ramp can be made using the upper flipper on that particular one.

Remember - the angles and level refers to the Playfield and not the cab.... The cab can be spot on, however the PF be way off......
ok, that helps. This pinguy app, is that best to use on the playfield? i’ve not been getting on well with it. my phone has 3 camera lens sticking out the back and it always registers the phone the wrong way round. i’ve only had it on the glass. Given the new knowledge, any suggestions otherwise please ?

Back
Top Bottom