What's new

Woz

I've put decent amount of time on the proto but it's pointless to review it, the more complete software is where it's at and I've only played 1.12 (I think).

Opinions so far - The drop target is nigh on impossible to see, it needed a different colour sticker on, the shots from the upper flipper seem limited (may be better on production game) skill shot for instance is extremely difficult, the State balloon ball save mode is tedious as anything. The cabinet detail is really nice, the LCD is HEAVY AS FOOK, the build quality overall seems average to me, no better or worse than other manufacturers from the last 30 years. The LCD is surprisingly good, as is the shaker, lightshow is confusing and stunning.

In reality, I can't make a valid opinion on the game as the code I have played is so unfinished. What I will say is that Metallica is unfinished and I can see the potential in that game with the shot layout and the code so far. I can't see that on WoZ. Lots of people seem to love it though so I'm hopeful I'll be wowed when I do play a decent revision of the code

Agree on the pop bumper mode. Gets boring quickly, mainly because completing the rainbow targets is very hard to do. Keith Johnson has assured people this is going to be changed around however to make it quicker/an option. Gotta say though, the right side drain is still a lot of fun.

Anyone who is around the NE can have a bash on mine if they are interested. 1.21 is the first time i've been able to piece together the different rules and really see where they are aiming with the final code. Managed to stack 3 multiballs last night for the first time :D

Are there any other machines there? I might pop over for a few games this week. I'm only over the bridge in Newport.

Last edited:
Agree on the pop bumper mode. Gets boring quickly, mainly because completing the rainbow targets is very hard to do. Keith Johnson has assured people this is going to be changed around however to make it quicker/an option. Gotta say though, the right side drain is still a lot of fun.

Anyone who is around the NE can have a bash on mine if they are interested. 1.21 is the first time i've been able to piece together the different rules and really see where they are aiming with the final code. Managed to stack 3 multiballs last night for the first time :D

Yeah Toto is fun, I see the State Balloon as a complete fail as it gives the player no points and the operator no earnings for the whole time it's happening (which can be long if you get through all the stages as you know) If it was one of the four things each time with a final "money" shot, then that would be fine. It does sound like the code is coming together, although it's taken a long time to get to where it's at, hopefully the more it's fleshed out the better it becomes.

Do my eyes deceive me or did the WOZ price just go up £200, now just a fiver short of 6k.

If you don't mind me asking, how much was the LE?

The standard WoZ at NLP had the latest code and it did seem to improve the gameplay quite a lot. Plenty more video as well also noticed it had different LED light boards which seemed to give a lot more colour to the game. Looking forward to the next update as it is slowly getting better.

Next update is due this week and adds 2 more munchkin modes + 3 more crystal ball modes apparently. Slowly getting towards to finish line

That twister toy mod looks like a nasty 3d printed mug gone wrong. I wonder if someone will get it to spin?

The other lighting mod however looks pretty good.

Wasn't terribly impressed by WOZ (aside from the build quality) at Play Expo. Had a few games but it didnt really click with me, still felt quite far from being finished yet. Star Trek was the opposite, pretty cheap looking but played pretty well imo (though not as good as STTNG).

Wasn't terribly impressed by WOZ (aside from the build quality) at Play Expo. Had a few games but it didnt really click with me, still felt quite far from being finished yet. Star Trek was the opposite, pretty cheap looking but played pretty well imo (though not as good as STTNG).

JJP has the build/wow factor but Stern games recently are fast and fun - well, especially ACDC plus Metallica.

What amazes me is how the hell a whole team couldn't spot the GI lighting issue with WOZ???:eek:

Play MB for instance and first thing that looks wrong is poor GI. So, to make same mistake again is really strange.

Oh well, Hobbit will be like a christmas tree:D

I was disappointed after playing the WOZ LE, only after talking to Phil did I then play the standard (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered), the flow is much better with the new software, my hopes were reignited.

Looking at the JJPs next to the Stern's, what struck me most was the difference the wireform return ramps make to the look of the playfield compared to the cost-cutting clear plastic that Stern use.

My money is on the Hobbit, mistakes will be rectified, and if I buy NIB I want it to last years (anyone else notice the faulty DMD on AC/DC premium? - I have Williams/Bally DMD's that are over 20 yrs old and still working perfectly!).

The prototype is nearly a year old now. It's got old hardware in, old led boards, older software. It's not a great representation of where the game is currently at imo

This was one of a couple of tables at the NLP Show that made me feel slightly ashamed. I'm not that good of a pinball player in general - more enthusiastic than skillful. While playing Wizard of Oz I felt like I couldn't do anything though. I got a fairly rapid right outlane drain with every ball. Of course I blame the player rather than the pin, but it was a dissatisfying first experience. Due to the queues I didn't go for another round. There were other tables beckoning on which I could get a small but respectable score going.

Definitely a beautiful table, and I'm sure that I'd learn to enjoy it at least somewhat with a few hours to pick up the rule set. I think that would only happen if I knew a pinhead who owned this table.

One of the things that gets overlooked on Woz is how operator friendly it is

-high power switch to work on the game with the coin door open
-LEDs which tell you which fuse has blown
-spade connectors instead of solder
-massive steel support brackets
-each coil is changeable from 1-32 power
-all timed mechanisms can be altered through the software
-A full colour switch matrix to easily Identify stuck or broken switches
-soon updates will be done automatically over wifi
-the manual is different class. Step by step instructions on how to dismantle absolutely everything

This is really good to hear - anything that makes repairs easier gets my vote.

Shame it will be over a year until their next game, unless they surprise us with a new one before TH!

Quick video of one ball with the new code on my machine. Played with no lights on initially. Easily playable despite the poor GI.

I know there's not much love on here for Woz but just completed the first wizard mode on Woz yesterday. Hands down the best code of any machine I've owned, and I include TZ and TSPP in that. The screen makes it a piece of **** to know what your doing and how close to the wizard mode you are.

I know there's not much love on here for Woz but just completed the first wizard mode on Woz yesterday. Hands down the best code of any machine I've owned, and I include TZ and TSPP in that. The screen makes it a piece of **** to know what your doing and how close to the wizard mode you are.
We'll done Jonathan, what's your top score nowadays? The WOZ rep on here is based on a combination of too much info too soon for too long ie hype followed by hope followed by nothing ...... then finally I think the bubble just burst, and everyone turned their attention elsewhere. I hope Jack learned this lesson, as most pinheads want him to succeed, it will be good for all of us.

If it is as good as you say, and if pinheads get to play the finished version, then we will all in the end appreciate it as much as you do. Maybe it will be a slow burner like IM. I'm still looking forward to Martin's part 2 review and to seeing a Bowen video of it in full flow.

Got 472k with 218 munchkin loops to boot.

It's very much a mode based game. Not really much use to pick up and have a quick 2 minute blast. You need to understand what the rules are and what you need to be aiming for. I hope they get everything they promised into it, specifically online leaderboards and the like.

The code only has the final wizard mode missing now plus whatever tweaks, sound effects, videos etc. they want to add in

Might be having to sell my Woz soon to fund a house move :( 2 year wait to own a game 6 months!

Back
Top Bottom