What's new

Woz

I think to defend the shortcomings of one machine by pointing out the shortcomings of another is not very helpful.

When there are only two companies in the world that make a certain product then comparisons are inevitable

I just cant get away with any more woz stuff. I'm burned out on it and i don't even own one.

Watching jonathans reactions to woz debates is hugely entertaining however.

Someone needs to provide some balance!

A prototype machine with early code is what 99% of opinions in this country are coming from unfortunately . There's only 7 people with a proper machine in the UK right now iirc

Someone needs to provide some balance!

A prototype machine with early code is what 99% of opinions in this country are coming from unfortunately . There's only 7 people with a proper machine in the UK right now iirc

Either way you don't have to be quite as defensive about jjp not like you have shares in the comp ;0) ....... Or do you

Love the attention to detail on WOZ and the build quality and not a fan of Stern's cutting costs etc but I prefer playing the new Stern's. Hopefully Hobbit will be faster and have more flow.

i'm looking forward to playing on WOZ at NLP in Manchester next month, if it has the updated hardware/software/everywhere on it. WOZ is a game that i was originally excited about, then got bored waiting for, then loved the first time i saw and played it, then grew to dislike as i kept seeing it break down and as i found it to be slow and dull....... so maybe it's time for the pendulum to swing once more, and maybe it will win me over with its gameplay at last? maybe.

has anyone found any good links to top players playing a WOZ or giving opinions on it yet? any Bowens or Keiths or Zachs or Danieles giving a masterclass perhaps?

Here's a pic of the non existent GI from this morning, that target at the top like the clock in TZ bounces the ball straight back towards the flipper which you can't see unless you got one of those hands free lamps attached to your forehead, I think you can get them at Wilcos for a quidimage.jpg

Here's mine with no lights at all turned on ;)

img.photobucket.com_albums_v640_spartanheed_null_zpsf22e6e15.jpg

Cool dan, this is a decent video of where the code currently is. Sound is goosed on the clip though. Wish he'd filmed it with the lights on but it doesn't seem to affect his playing abilities

Well I wish one of them would come on here and give us an honest, warts-and-all Woz review without mentioning how terrible Stern are!

GI is ****, game needs some tweaking straight out of the box to get it playing well, otherwise it's hands down the best game I've owned. If you love TAF, TZ, TSPP type games then it's the one for you. If you prefer sparse but fast games like Tron, IM etc. then it probably isn't. It's far from slow however. I've put thousands of plays on mine and the only issue so far is a blown fuse a few weeks ago. Oh and very occasionally the munchkin. House releases 2 balls instead of 1 but the code captures the first ball it can to rectify that.

I've played the proto on two separate occasions and it feels different in a bad way. Not sure why. Try to play a game with 1.21 because it adds a lot more than the changelog suggests

My only concern at this point is that they have so much more planned for WOZ but the Hobbit release is creeping up and I hope they can get it finished off before they have to avert their attention the the next game. I want online leaderboards and the like!

Weird how people can play the same machine and notice totally different things. I played the same one as Tim and can honestly say I didn't have a problem with the flipper buttons but thought the power of the coils wasn't great. Other people raved about the build quality while I was surprised that within a couple of hours the shooter wasn't strong enough to clear the ball.

This is obviously not just limited to WOZ, I briefly toyed with picking up a Metallica due to the theme but then saw the artwork. Personally I thought it had been drawn by an autistic teenager but others have gone into orgasm over it.

By this logic maybe, just maybe, someone out there is lumbering under the impression that the toys in X-Men look good ;)

game needs some tweaking straight out of the box to get it playing well, otherwise it's hands down the best game I've owned. If you love TAF, TZ, TSPP type games then it's the one for you. If you prefer sparse but fast games like Tron, IM etc. then it probably isn't.

Thanks Jonathan, a comparison i can understand! I played Woz at the Pinball Party and felt the quality and finish was superb, and his product can only get better as he gains more experience in design and production techniques.

I'm still not brave enough to throw money at a machine that's not even been made but I can't wait to play the Hobbit and whatever comes next.

Coils have been tweaked an awful lot in updates. Most are set to 18 as standard and can be set between 1-32. 32 will smash everything in sight however! LEDs can now be set at 5 levels of brightness to. All toys and mechs can be set at different parameters to help tweak them. Very cool and saves having to manually adjust everything by hand

God, just been wading through the latest OZ-WOZ thread on Pinside. Can't believe how screwed over those poor sods are. Really can't see it ending well for any of the customers who prepaid. New legal entity, missing money and no legal way for JJP to decide who they received the funds from so even if they ship the machines that were paid for then how could you decide who gets one?

I suspect if any money does get sent to OZ it will end up being kept by the receivers to cover their fees. Had the misfortune once to work for a company that went into liquidation. Absolutely everyone got ****ed over. Think I lost 3 or 4 grand at the time in unpaid wages and the director has since gone on to walk away for at least 5 or 6 other companies leaving a trail of debts behind.

Reading through it though does make me nervous about the idea of prepaying years in advance for a machine

I did like the way the rules were displayed on the LCD showing what you had to do, I don't think this is incorporated into the game whilst playing, Jonathan is that correct with your WOZ. If you hold down the flippers can you cycle through to rules?

Yes. You get a status report with the rules you have completed coloured in yellow on the rules map

has anyone found any good links to top players playing a WOZ or giving opinions on it yet? any Bowens or Keiths or Zachs or Danieles giving a masterclass perhaps?[/quote]

Dont think I can be compared to them, but here are a few of my opinions.

A WOZ has been put into a local pub in Bristol so I have been down and played it quite a bit. I managed about 380k last week which was enough for high score 2 I think. The machine itself looks beautiful, I love the clearcoated cabinet, and the LCD has really grown on me and im starting to really like it. My girlfriend who does enjoy pinball, absolutely loved it.

Me, well to me the gameplay felt very limited and lacked any depth. I'm still not certain on all of the rules, but I think that I have seen pretty much everything the machine has to offer in its current state. It seemed to me like the different challenges/multiballs etc are in place, but then once acheived there seems very little substance at the moment.

I'd be happy to offer my opinon on any specifics about gameplay if people have any questions

Do you know which code was in it? I assume it came with 1.14 installed. There's been 2 releases since then although I imagine he has at least updated it to 1.18 as it fixes a lot of bugs that would be a nightmare on location.

1.21 adds in fireball frenzy, there's still 1 or 2 more crystal ball modes, 2 munchkin modes and the rules for the yellow brick road to be added in, plus the emeralds to collect, diamonds to collect and then the wizard mode.

Still a while off being done yet

Phil from Pinball Heaven installed it a few weeks ago, so im sure he put the most up to date code in it then. Not sure what it has in it currently

has anyone found any good links to top players playing a WOZ or giving opinions on it yet? any Bowens or Keiths or Zachs or Danieles giving a masterclass perhaps?

Dont think I can be compared to them, but here are a few of my opinions.

A WOZ has been put into a local pub in Bristol so I have been down and played it quite a bit. I managed about 380k last week which was enough for high score 2 I think. The machine itself looks beautiful, I love the clearcoated cabinet, and the LCD has really grown on me and im starting to really like it. My girlfriend who does enjoy pinball, absolutely loved it.

Me, well to me the gameplay felt very limited and lacked any depth. I'm still not certain on all of the rules, but I think that I have seen pretty much everything the machine has to offer in its current state. It seemed to me like the different challenges/multiballs etc are in place, but then once acheived there seems very little substance at the moment.

I'd be happy to offer my opinon on any specifics about gameplay if people have any questions[/quote]

Which Pub Craig? I'm down that way on the weekend so may have to pop in to have a play or three :)

Cheers
Paul

Back
Top Bottom