What's new

Woz

Yeah nice idea, i'd be more concerned about the MSI mobo it uses not posting in a couple of years. I'd be investing in a spare board or two if i was to buy this..

To me it just sounds like all those other redemption games that are out there at the moment. Was playing some Fruit Ninja and some other video games just a couple of days ago at the seafront in Weymouth. Spent about 3 quid. Got about 40 something tickets back. Cashed in the tickets for a packet of Swizzles.

Swizzles. That's all you need to know.

Isn't it basically 'Achievements' for Pinball? But with the ability to redeem them for prizes like Paul said?

Did you buy direct Jon? I'm sure I read on Pinball Heavens Facebook page that their first shipment of Jersey Jack machines was imminent.

So Jon any news yet about your date? We're way past my estimate, so I guess I lost.

If it arrives before 8th August then Mark is the winner (teachp8), after then it's always gonna be nearest to the last prediction of 15th August which was Geoff (Calimori). Bit of an anticlimax.

John, are you paying upfront for your Hobbit, or does it get paid in stages? If you're in need of cash to pay up, I will buy your premium titles at knock down prices if you like, to bail you out.

Hobbit will be fun, I expect there will be a lot more support for it because of the theme (diluted slightly by the current delays, but still solid so long as WOZ arrives and impresses everyone. Will it play like TZ? Or more like XF?

No news on my date but Jack told the group yesterday that 220 had been delivered so far. He's just hired Sterns old production manager on a 5 year contract and relocated him to New Jersey. As a result they aim to be shipping 200 games a month from next week and plan to have all LEs delivered by December

How's your Woz jonathan?

The new V1.21 software shows a lot of improvement. Amazing lights how although the GI still isn't illuminating the table very well, in fact most of the PF looks almost pitch black although that might be the camera to a certain extent and might look less extreme in real life. Hopefully JJP will come up with a solution that can be retrofitted.

It's also sounding a lot better now and the production games all seem to play a lot stronger than the prototype test games that failed to impress a few people. I'm looking forward to have a decent go on one soon.

Last edited:
I've got this mod in my gamesroom that helps with that ;)

img.photobucket.com_albums_v640_spartanheed_null_zpsac2e9fa4.jpg

Loving v1.21

Most of the rules are in place now, just missing a couple of modes and the wizard mode. Insert Lighting gets better with each update, it's amazing how much easier colour coded inserts help you to know what to shoot for.

Reactions: JT.
Is the GI actually that dark? You shouldn't have to have a light on!

Indeed. Pinball and a dark room should be the perfect match IMO. At least those WOZ owners with Invisiglass can shine an outside light at the PF without it reflecting right back up at their face.

I'm not sure exactly why the GI is so poor on this game. Is it the positions of the GI LEDs or the strength or the lack of spots? I notice 3rd party mods have already started appearing but they aren't controlled by the game and would spoil some lighting effects and I'm not talking about Lights Out mode, just the way a table can briefly go completely dark to emphasise something you've done. JJP really dropped the ball releasing the game in that condition. I don't really see how they can improve the lighting on newer models without ****ing off the existing owners unless the come up with a way of retrofitting it.

Can I ask you Jon, how do the flippers feel compared to a Williams/Bally? I just ask because I thought the proto I played felt awful especially how far and hard you needed to push the flipper buttons to get the secondary flippers to flip. They had very strong springs or something that made me feel like I was fighting against the buttons.

Last edited:
Just played the normal version of WOZ at the pier arcade in Bournmouth, it was so dark you. Had a hard time seeing the ball as the LEDs are far too bright, the LCD was rippling like a good un and the state fair ballon had damage to the top of it. I like playing games in low light but this game was almost giving me a headache, managed to get 96K think highest was 244K £1 a game think I put in 3 quid then walked off still not sure about what to make of it

Indeed. Pinball and a dark room should be the perfect match IMO. At least those WOZ owners with Invisiglass can shine an outside light at the PF without it reflecting right back up at their face.

I'm not sure exactly why the GI is so poor on this game. Is it the positions of the GI LEDs or the strength or the lack of spots? I notice 3rd party mods have already started appearing but they aren't controlled by the game and would spoil some lighting effects and I'm not talking about Lights Out mode, just the way a table can briefly go completely dark to emphasise something you've done. JJP really dropped the ball releasing the game in that condition. I don't really see how they can improve the lighting on newer models without ****ing off the existing owners unless the come up with a way of retrofitting it.

Can I ask you Jon, how do the flippers feel compared to a Williams/Bally? I just ask because I thought the proto I played felt awful especially how far and hard you needed to push the flipper buttons to get the secondary flippers to flip. They had very strong springs or something that made me feel like I was fighting against the buttons.

They are Bally/Williams flippers! JJP has the rights to use them. The GI isn't great but my games room has a big window in so I never play in the dark. Hardly dropping a ball? It's there first game, each one will get better. Go back and look at Gary Sterns first game

Is there a fix for that LCD screen strobing problem? I heard it was on all the initial machines sent overseas. Something to do with differing currents of power supplies in different countries. Phil's test WOZ had that problem and it wasn't nice.

Just played the normal version of WOZ at the pier arcade in Bournmouth, it was so dark you. Had a hard time seeing the ball as the LEDs are far too bright, the LCD was rippling like a good un and the state fair ballon had damage to the top of it. I like playing games in low light but this game was almost giving me a headache, managed to get 96K think highest was 244K £1 a game think I put in 3 quid then walked off still not sure about what to make of it

V1.21 code has added in 5 levels of LED brightness to turn them down. The screen flicker is a UK issue, needs a £10 double shielded VGA cable and it stops

Is there a fix for that LCD screen strobing problem? I heard it was on all the initial machines sent overseas. Something to do with differing currents of power supplies in different countries. Phil's test WOZ had that problem and it wasn't nice.

See above. I know mufcmufc said he still saw a slight flicker after changing the VGA cable but I can honestly say I've stared very hard and there is zero flicker on mine

They are Bally/Williams flippers! JJP has the rights to use them.

Well they managed to make them play like **** on the test machine I played. Really awful. Just because they have the rights to use Williams parts doesn't mean they will be the same. I heard they completely redesigned them anyway. If you say they feel and play exactly the same as a 3+ flippered Williams game then that's great. Is that what you're saying?

I've had ten Bally/WMS machines and there's zero difference with Woz imo. The prototype doing the rounds in nearly a year old now.

It amuses me how rough a ride JJP is getting with their first game. From an idea to a finished product (code aside) in 2.5 years. I had a Tron last year, the flippers felt like ****, the art was pixelated to hell, the clear coat was wafer thin etc.etc. and this is a company with decades of experience. Latest game is £7200!

It all plays fine flippers are great, the shots are easy to make but when it says shoot the scarecrow or whatever, you can't see what to shoot for as its so dark, sure the inserts are super bright and that should be what you are aiming for, but this all detracts from the overall feel of the game. Personally I like the game but I don't think it will ever be right, good 1st attempt though.

It all plays fine flippers are great, the shots are easy to make but when it says shoot the scarecrow or whatever, you can't see what to shoot for as its so dark, sure the inserts are super bright and that should be what you are aiming for, but this all detracts from the overall feel of the game. Personally I like the game but I don't think it will ever be right, good 1st attempt though.

Have you got a WoZ ?

Nope just played a few times now, never noticed the GI issue at Daventry but at the Pier in Bournemouth it's pretty dark, the other Stern Pins look great, Avengers, Tron and XMen, I was a bit shocked to be fair as I've been saying WOZ will be great when finished and I wanted to have a go on a normal WOZ, was glad that it played the same, jury is still out on the final software but the GI is a big issue for me.

I've had ten Bally/WMS machines and there's zero difference with Woz imo. The prototype doing the rounds in nearly a year old now.

It amuses me how rough a ride JJP is getting with their first game. From an idea to a finished product (code aside) in 2.5 years. I had a Tron last year, the flippers felt like ****, the art was pixelated to hell, the clear coat was wafer thin etc.etc. and this is a company with decades of experience. Latest game is £7200!

There really is no need to be so defensive jonathan. I genuinely hoped that the flippers were better on the final production machines and I'm glad that you think it plays as well as the Williams tables. There are quite a few people in the UK that might be looking at buying a standard WOZ but played a less than perfect test machine so it'd be good to have owners like you sharing their experiences and reassuring them. Your slightly hysterical reaction to any kind of criticism though makes anything you do say seem quite suspect.

There really is no need to be so defensive jonathan. I genuinely hoped that the flippers were better on the final production machines and I'm glad that you think it plays as well as the Williams tables. There are quite a few people in the UK that might be looking at buying a standard WOZ but played a less than perfect test machine so it'd be good to have owners like you sharing their experiences and reassuring them. Your slightly hysterical reaction to any kind of criticism though makes anything you do say seem quite suspect.

Hysterical :)? Not quite

Back
Top Bottom