What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Cup sweepstake thread

What do you lot think the yanks will reckon to football after that then? I know we say we don't care and we don't need them and their twattish team names and whooping and over the top patriotism and cheese on top ....... but USA tends to produce brilliant sportsmen at every sport they want to compete in, because there are so many of them and their schools and colleges are so geared toward team sport success, so I for one hope they decide to play the same football as the rest of the world.

Strange through, as the most popular sports over there are based around high scoring and high drama and second by second shot clocks, whereas traditionally the teams that do best at footy tend to be the ones with the best defence and goalie. I don't think it's any accident that the further we go through this World Cup, the less goals are getting scored - better defences.

I agree with Mr Shearer, best World Cup ever.

here is the draw:

France (John) v Germany (Stormy) Fri 5pm winner plays winner of Brazil (Paul) v Colombia (Craig) Fri 9pm

Argentina (Chris) v Belgium (Dean)
Sat 5pm winner plays winner of Netherlands (Phil) v Costa Rica (Matt) Sat 9pm

latest Ladbrokes odds (outright tournament win, not just the next game)
green means odds shortening, red means odds lengthening, placed favourite order

Brazil @Wizcat 3-1F 7-2 3-1 3.75-1 still the F
Argentina @ronsplooter 4-1 7-2 7-2 4.5-1
Netherlands @Big Phil 10-1 9-1 15-2 5.5-1
Germany @mufcmufc 5-1 4-1 4-1 5.5-1
France @johnwhitfield 20-1 16-1 8-1 9-1
Colombia @roadshow16 33-1 25-1 20-1 13-1
Belgium @Fintan Stack 20-1 18-1 16-1 13-1
Costa Rica @Matt Vince 4000-1 750-1 40-1 51-1

Last edited:
i'm already getting excited about tonight's Brazil-Colombia epic at 9pm tonight.

ok, so that Colombian guy Valderrama was fantastic - here he is in 1998 and again unchanged in 2014, same hair and tache:
carlosvalderrama 1998.jpg carlosvalderrama 2014.jpg

but i think the one they are all talking about now is this James (pronounced Ham-es) Rodriguez, who has already scored 5 goals and who was man of the match in 3 of his 4 games so far.

it's also the 20th anniversary of when a Colombian defender got shot in the back of the head after getting home from the 94 world cup where he had scored an own goal, so there's a bit of extra emotion in the air.

so anyway, let's have some Cup chitchat fellas, what do you all reckon to these four matchups?

Last edited:
i'm already getting excited about tonight's Brazil-Colombia epic at 9pm tonight.

ok, so that Colombian guy Valderrama was fantastic - here he is in 1998 and again unchanged in 2014, same hair and tache:
View attachment 8362 View attachment 8363

but i think the one they are all talking about now is this James (pronounced Ham-es) Rodriguez, who has already scored 5 goals and who was man of the match in 3 of his 4 games so far.

it's also the 20th anniversary of when a Colombian defender got shot in the back of the head after getting from from the 94 world cup where he had scored an own goal, so there's a bit of extra emotion in the air.

so anyway, let's have some Cup chitchat fellas, what do you all reckon to these four matchups?

And here he is in 1989 wearing glasses, lippy and a pained expression...
www.thechapel.co.uk_blog_wp_content_uploads_2010_07_deirdre_barlow_1989.jpg

Some nice football in the France Germany game. Shame about having to ensure the'dream team' of Pearce and Lawrenson on commentary though.

This is the big one! James Rodriguez is going to tear Brasil a new one, the atmosphere is going to be incredible. Final score 2-0 to Colombia

That was a great game for a neutral.The ref did seem to make a few mistakes, but quality attacking football throughout

Ah well, we had a good run. I will have a few pinball posters for the winner to collect at the pinball party, good luck to those left in the running!

****, yet again France has capitulated to Germany:( Better start rummaging in my pin box for something to send

It's going to be a good one.
That was a great game for a neutral.The ref did seem to make a few mistakes, but quality attacking football throughout

Yeah, I thought the ref was pretty ****e in last night's game. Some very odd decisions. Not a bad game though. Both teams really going for it.

My boys against Argentina tonight. Will be an interesting one.

So, the Netherlands into the semis. Awesome game - Costa Rica can hold their heads high after the tournament they have had.

Another one of those games tonight where it's going to be hard to decide who to support...hmmm

I want a Germany Vs Whoever Final, since i have Germany in the Work Sweepstake (and there's a decent amount of £££ involved!!)...

Here we go. Expecting edge of the seat stuff, and hoping for a close win for the Brazilians. Good luck Nick

Back
Top Bottom