What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird WH20 issue - NOW FIXED !!!!!!!

@pinballmania the plot thickens - took the apron off so I could see the ball trough switches more easily and manually held down the micro switches when the ball ejects onto the playfield - low and behold its still happens so this seems to eliminate the ball trough of any wrong doing. So, I just decided to disconnect the violet-red wire from the ball serve solenoid to see what would happen - amazingly, as I hit the start button (and no ball is ejected as its disconnected) and I then manually eject a ball the problem goes away - I did this repeatedly and never got the issue. Soon as I reconnected the solenoid it has come back again

So it seems to be the activation of the ball eject solenoid ????

Work that one out!!!!

Cheers Kev
Further to this one Andy tried just discinnecting the mine opto and at powerup the mine goes mad as you would expect but guess what I got no goldrush triggers at all ?????

Losing the will to live here lol !!!!

Cheers Kev

Good suggestion on diode. You could just add one locally to try the theory. Make sure banded end is facing power side. Thicker wire. Also inspect the coil for any windings that have come through the paper and may be shorting to ground.

tried the diode (only had a IN4001A which is 50V not 400V )and it made no difference - I tested the diode afterwards and it hadn't blown so must of done its job I guess ??

Next !

another thing I have found, which is weird, in solenoid test if I fire the ball serve solenoid, the mine popper fires as well, but not the other way around.

Does this help ???

CHeers Kev

Probably. Check if the mine popper fires in the game, as the ball is served. The popper will break the mine opto and give the award.

If this is the case, reseat the short grey ribbon cable , and press home the square wpc chip firmly.

If this is the case, reseat the short grey ribbon cable , and press home the square wpc chip firmly.
yes andy the penny has dropped with me too. The mine popper fires everytime the ball serve does which will block the opto and hence trigger the animation. Have checked the asic and the short ribbon cable all looks ok but still the same - does this sound like a short now or would that presumable trigger the ball serve when the mine popper goes off ????

The other weird issue is the start switch will not activate another game after the first game has finished without a power down ????

Cheers Kev

OK so can confirm that not only does the mine popper fire every time the ball serve fires, it also fires every time the outhole solenoid fires in the ball trough as well. Is this now sounding like crossed wires somewhere ?

Cheers Kev

Check the connectors along the bottom of the power driver board. There are some connectors that can go onto the wrong headers. It puts flash lamps across output drives, and can cause this sort of issue. Don't have schematics to hand so can't analyse possibility.

Use the manual to check that those connectors that should have no connection are unconnected.

Use the manual to check that those connectors that should have no connection are unconnected.
Will do Andy knocking off for tonight now will get back to you tomorrow - hope it's that daft and i've made a lemon of myself lol!!!

Cheers Kev

Couldn't pack in without checking !!!! All connectors exactly as should be. Plan b required sure it must be a wiring issue as it did have a play field swap but where????

Have checked the asic and the short ribbon cable all looks ok but still the same

Does "have checked" mean that you re-seated them as Andy suggested?

Given the new symptoms you have been describing - it sounds like you might have a driver board issue so I would try a compatible driver board from one of your other games to confirm it.

Does "have checked" mean that you re-seated them as Andy suggested?

Given the new symptoms you have been describing - it sounds like you might have a driver board issue so I would try a compatible driver board from one of your other games to confirm it.
Yes mate all reseated and checked for missed and bent pins etc and looks perfect

OK so I have metered between J107 pin 3 and J130 pins 1, 2, and 3 using the solenoid test for each pin, on repeat, and they all fire independently at the board level, as they should, so I guess this must be wiring loom issue somewhere. Is there an easy way to buzz the loom out with a meter or do I have to trace the loom for the short ?

Cheers Kev

Have a look over the loom for solder splashes that may have melted through multiple connectors.

will pull loom apart and go through it with a fine tooth comb next - gagging to see what this is now - I know it's gonna be something stupid!! (probs that I have done lol!!)

Think I have found the issue - DOH!!!! school boy error as well, on my part - knew it would be!!!!. I haven't had chance to fix this and test it yet as busy working but just noticed this - can you spot the mistake and @pinballmania do you think this will be the cause??

Cheers Kev

P4170014.JPG

Back
Top Bottom