What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird WH20 issue - NOW FIXED !!!!!!!

newdos

Site Supporter
Alias
Newdos
I have just about finished my shop log on here of my WH20 and now it's all back together I have it working about 95% with a few minor issues which I can fix, but one issue has me stumped and I am hoping that someone on here can help (the legend maybe??) @pinballmania

When a ball is ejected into the shooter lane it thinks it has gone into the lost mine triggering a goldrush action. However the lost mine itself works fine ie a ball goes in it senses it and the solenoid ejects it out. It does this with nearly all of the balls it ejects into the shooter lane approx 95% I would say. So because it is doing this it gets its knickers in a twist. I have tested all switches and optos and they are all working fine.

HELP!!!!!

Cheers in advance

Kev

diode on wrong way round or switch conected wrong
but which one????? - didn't take any diodes off so could be a wire wrong - but on the switch matrix the whirlpool popper opto isn't even on the same row or column - baffled????

Cheers Kev

Yeah man cos they are all attached to mechs anyway and the trough has no. Optos???

Do a little vid of back box connections n under pf as close up as poss n show the fault in action dude n I'll get the old grey matter working!!

Look at the switch matrix chart and identify the two switches that form the square of the two switches that are causing the issue. Ie shooter and mine. A wiring error of short at either switch can cause switch ghosting.

Are the optos in the whirlpool/subway definitely working well and aligned correctly?

Sorry Andy what do you mean frms the square of two switches? The two switches in question are on different rows and columns anyway?
Cheers kev

Draw a square on the matrix using the two problem switches as diagonally opposite corners. The two other diagonally opposite switches that make up the square are the possible causes.

Draw a square on the matrix using the two problem switches as diagonally opposite corners. The two other diagonally opposite switches that make up the square are the possible causes.
Ok will give it a try and see which switches it is

check out the tilt switch. looks like it causes all sorts of oddities (including starting gold rush) if made at game start etc.

ok guys here is a pic of my switch matrix with balls in the trough showing the normally closed switches - can anyone compare to there wh20 for me and see if it shows anything up ?

IMG_0287.JPG

And here is a link to you tube of a vid showing the problem - you will see as soon as a ball ejects into the shooter lane the goldrush is triggered

Cheers in advance

Kev

What happens to that switch matrix picture when you close the shooter lane switch?

What happens to that switch matrix picture when you close the shooter lane switch?
Hi Andy,
Not much it just registers the ball shooter switch on the display and none of the normally closed switches change - got me well baffled this one!!

Cheers Kev

Wondering if this could be a flaky ULN2803 ???

I'm guessing the problem is the CPU thinks the opto for the lost mine has gone open circuit as a ball is ejected ie as if there is a ball in the lost mine?

Thoughts anyone ?

Looks to me that the feature is activated before the ball hits the shooter switch. So first take all the balls out and reexamine switch matrix whilst activating each trough switch in turn.

I might also try blocking the mine opto and seeing if it is still seem to activate. If not it may just be a flaky opto. If the switch closure is still seen with opto blocked then it's definitely a ghost switch closure.

Looks to me that the feature is activated before the ball hits the shooter switch. So first take all the balls out and reexamine switch matrix whilst activating each trough switch in turn.

I might also try blocking the mine opto and seeing if it is still seem to activate. If not it may just be a flaky opto. If the switch closure is still seen with opto blocked then it's definitely a ghost switch closure.
Hi Andy,
Yeah it is activated before the ball hits the shooter switch as I have blocked it off as the ball ejects and it still happens. Will take balls out of trough and try them but sure I already have. What I dont get is the square theory for the matrix as the switches that seem to be at issue here dont form a square as they are in adjacent columns ie 6 and 7 - is that a little odd - have we got a red herring here???

Cheers Kev

I had a similar issue on a FT that would make the balls drain when you were playing and it was one of the fish targets that was wired incorrectly.

I activated all the switches with the game running and found the switch causing the drain to start, entered the switch test and it was registering as drain instead of left fish stringer or whatever its called.

One of the 2 wires was soldered onto the wrong side of the switch.

Hi Andy,
Yeah it is activated before the ball hits the shooter switch as I have blocked it off as the ball ejects and it still happens. Will take balls out of trough and try them but sure I already have. What I dont get is the square theory for the matrix as the switches that seem to be at issue here dont form a square as they are in adjacent columns ie 6 and 7 - is that a little odd - have we got a red herring here???

Cheers Kev
May well be a red herring. But you're missing the theory. You can make a square out of any two points on diagonally opposite corners of a square. From one of them go up or down to the row that the other one is on. This is one of the other corners. Do this for the opposite corner.

We've established its not the shooter switch so you need to test the others that come into play. Ie the trough and out hole switches.

You also look like you have a rogue switch on the coin inputs on the left hand side. I can't see how this will cause issue, but worth disconnecting any coin mech.

Back
Top Bottom