What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The OFFICIAL LICENSED 'moans about pricing' thread

Yeah, i rented a Godzilla Pro off Steve Brum for 6 months. Cost about 700 all in.

I enjoyed it but at the end of the 6 months I was happy to see it go.

I thought it would make me want to buy one - glad I didn't.
Great stuff, and an example of how a rental has worked out well. Plus you would have lost more than that should you have bought a NIB now.

Great stuff, and an example of how a rental has worked out well. Plus you would have lost more than that should you have bought a NIB now.

I have bought a NIB Stranger Things with the UV kit etc. I think it'll have the staying power of Brian Eddy's other games. Either way as long as I have it for a minimum of 2 years it'll work as the same as rental or less than any expected depreciation.

Prime example is the Godzilla pro up for sale recently that caused a bit of a stir for some reason.

Bought 6 months ago NIB with less than 250 plays on it - offered at probably £800 less than purchase.

That works out at £3.20 a play and people are unhappy at the price?

What if it had 2500 plays or just 20?

I have bought a NIB Stranger Things with the UV kit etc. I think it'll have the staying power of Brian Eddy's other games. Either way as long as I have it for a minimum of 2 years it'll work as the same as rental or less than any expected depreciation.

Prime example is the Godzilla pro up for sale recently that caused a bit of a stir for some reason.

Bought 6 months ago NIB with less than 250 plays on it - offered at probably £800 less than purchase.

That works out at £3.20 a play and people are unhappy at the price?

What if it had 2500 plays or just 20?
Purchase price doesn’t influence current value as much as what it costs now, what the last couple sold for and what the current market is doing imo.

NIB pros can now be had for 8k with free delivery and a 2yr warranty. Also last few used gz pros sold for less than 7500 and the market has fallen since those sales.

I don’t think the seller was out of line or trying to rip anyone off, just a bit over optimistic given the current market.

Purchase price doesn’t influence current value as much as what it costs now, what the last couple sold for and what the current market is doing imo.

NIB pros can now be had for 8k with free delivery and a 2yr warranty. Also last few used gz pros sold for less than 7500 and the market has fallen since those sales.

I don’t think the seller was out of line or trying to rip anyone off, just a bit over optimistic given the current market.
And to add to that @PinballNoobie, GZ was instantly hugely popular so most of the people who wanted one on here at launch went for it (ie theres loads about). Rare pins tend to hold their value (which doesn't make them good in any way). But when previous examples are lower on here with mods, it makes it a tough sell for what should be a desirable top pin in nice condition without any mods. Disclaimer - i'd quite like a GZ but probably looking for more a premium at the same price as the current pro so i have a longer wait than i thought by the current price 😢

True, distros are working hard to drive prices down as they obviously understand the ecosystem that supports NIB sales.

If people won't accept reasonable losses to move things on to get newer titles, they won't keep progressing the cycle that distros rely on.

My line up end of 2019, for what I paid (all bought off this forum 2019) there is no way if I still had them I would ask over double what I paid back then today.
People would laugh at me, and rightly so. I did make a little bit when I sold them but that covered my time collecting etc which was a bonus.
Nice big room for pins. I’m at max capacity with 4 and have one on order! Don’t want sell any especially in this market

We can moan about pricing on new games yeah, but with used machines now there are some amazing games for the money now. Even some of these later Stern LCD games are nearing close pricing on some sought after Stern DMD games.

Reactions: Jib
On the one hand I could get a Jaws cheaper, on the other, I’ve got 6 spike 2 games so I probably just lost £3k total value in those

On the one hand I could get a Jaws cheaper, on the other, I’ve got 6 spike 2 games so I probably just lost £3k total value in those
Yeah not so good for those planning to shift on machines. Hopefully you are happy with what you currently have and keep them for a longer time.

Yeah not so good for those planning to shift on machines. Hopefully you are happy with what you currently have and keep them for a longer time.
I’m happy with what I have but I do still like getting new games to figure out something new and mix things up. I said before I try not to stress about the cost of it but it’s an effort not to sometimes when I paid 1k more for a nib FF pro than a Jaws pro. Probably get lower prices on premiums next because I just bought a nib one 😂

Yesterday I was actually wondering if just 2 machines would be better, buy 1 a year, keep each for 2 years. I say this after just moving the treadmill to make space for a 7th… addiction is real.

Yesterday I was actually wondering if just 2 machines would be better, buy 1 a year, keep each for 2 years. I say this after just moving the treadmill to make space for a 7th… addiction is real.
2 is a good number, one short player and one long player. If I had more Pins I honestly don't think I'd play any more games than I currently do.

2 is a good number, one short player and one long player. If I had more Pins I honestly don't think I'd play any more games than I currently do.
I was probably just as happy when I just had JP and TMNT but the problem was I wanted to try something new but didn’t want to get rid of either of them. 🤷‍♀️ not really sure where the right balance is for me yet.

I was probably just as happy when I just had JP and TMNT but the problem was I wanted to try something new but didn’t want to get rid of either of them. 🤷‍♀️ not really sure where the right balance is for me yet.
Everyone is different, I haven't really missed any of the games I've sold and I can't think of any I'd have back, even though I enjoyed playing them when they were here.

It's easy for me to say 2 is a good number as that's all I've got room for. If I had more space I'd no doubt fill it.

I’m happy with what I have but I do still like getting new games to figure out something new and mix things up. I said before I try not to stress about the cost of it but it’s an effort not to sometimes when I paid 1k more for a nib FF pro than a Jaws pro. Probably get lower prices on premiums next because I just bought a nib one 😂

I don’t know if this helps, but I have a ‘permanent collection’ and have been experimenting with a ‘guest machine’.

The permanent collection are pins that I’ve played to death on location and still want to play, so they’re not going anywhere in the immediate future. I tend to spend money modding these pins, etc. and I bought JP2 Prem NIB knowing I’d lose money if I sold, because I didn’t expect to sell.

The guest machine is a pin I’d like to experience at home, but don’t necessarily want to own long term. Guest machines don’t get mods because they’re bought on the expectation they’ll leave. I’ve had a couple of guests now, including El PinBotto, and have enjoyed the variety.

I must admit the guest machine concept hasn’t worked totally well - I fell in love with a guest (Centaur), buying and selling has turned out to be a huge faff, and it turns out that I’m sufficiently picky that I didn’t necessarily want what came up on the market (I had a big faff putting up loads of very specific Wanted ads because I both didn’t want just anything, but didn’t care enough to be specific). We currently have Elton John on hire as a guest, although that’s more on trial for a permanent slot than being rotated out. If I don’t get an EJ, however, I’ll probably try to rent or borrow a different machine, rather than buying and selling every few months, or closing the slot.

There’s also, of course, the temporary trade option - swap one of your machines temporarily with someone else, although I haven’t tried that :)

I don’t know if this helps, but I have a ‘permanent collection’ and have been experimenting with a ‘guest machine’.

The permanent collection are pins that I’ve played to death on location and still want to play, so they’re not going anywhere in the immediate future. I tend to spend money modding these pins, etc. and I bought JP2 Prem NIB knowing I’d lose money if I sold, because I didn’t expect to sell.

The guest machine is a pin I’d like to experience at home, but don’t necessarily want to own long term. Guest machines don’t get mods because they’re bought on the expectation they’ll leave. I’ve had a couple of guests now, including El PinBotto, and have enjoyed the variety.

I must admit the guest machine concept hasn’t worked totally well - I fell in love with a guest (Centaur), buying and selling has turned out to be a huge faff, and it turns out that I’m sufficiently picky that I didn’t necessarily want what came up on the market (I had a big faff putting up loads of very specific Wanted ads because I both didn’t want just anything, but didn’t care enough to be specific). We currently have Elton John on hire as a guest, although that’s more on trial for a permanent slot than being rotated out. If I don’t get an EJ, however, I’ll probably try to rent or borrow a different machine, rather than buying and selling every few months, or closing the slot.

There’s also, of course, the temporary trade option - swap one of your machines temporarily with someone else, although I haven’t tried that :)
Yeah that was the plan but some of the guest/rotator machines keep becoming long termers and then I want more space to have a rotator space or 2. I keep making more space in various ways and now have space for 7 (8 if I don’t mind moving 1 to get glass off 2 others)

Ideally 5 would be long termers and then 2 rotators which either I know won’t stay a long time or are challenging for 1 of the long term slots but I’ve had this idea since having space for 2/3 and just keep adding instead.

I don’t consider anything permanent/ a keeper as you never know what might come out but everything I have now I don’t really want to sell any time soon which means I’m down to 1 rotator space. First world problems I know.

VenomGate all over again
Yep, I don't understand it's a free market. If a business wants to sell stock at a competitive price that's there choice. There always suppliers regardless of perceived rrp that compete better than others. new Pins in the UK are now too expensive for most people. Although to be honest even 10 years ago NITB was pretty dear if you exclude inflation.

Yep, I don't understand it's a free market. If a business wants to sell stock at a competitive price that's there choice. There always suppliers regardless of perceived rrp that compete better than others. new Pins in the UK are now too expensive for most people. Although to be honest even 10 years ago NITB was pretty dear if you exclude inflation.

Ive heard that in the USA Stern control the minimum price that sellers can actively advertise them for, but not how much they actually sell for in the end.

Ive no doubt the same happens here and he's been told off again by the UK distributor.

Right, where's my tinfoil hat.

Back
Top Bottom