What's new

Stern Star Wars

looks ok. Not a SW fan so the music after 2 hours is getting on my tits. Also not enough dark stuff. too goody goody for me.

Only had time to watch some of it. Got to try and look past the Star Wars theme.....

Same position here. What I saw looked good - nice flow, fast etc - but Star Wars just isn't my thing at all. Looking forward to playing one but unlikely to buy due to theme alone, although friends who are Star Wars fans are already trying to persuade me otherwise. Will watch more of the video later.

Can't see anyone buying alien or dialled in over this!

I'm much more likely to buy Dialed In than this. I miss the original themes of 90s B/W titles and the game looks packed with interesting shots and toys. More interested in Dialed In and Total Nuclear Annihilation than anything else announced at the moment.

Reactions: DRD
Obviously a Ritchie game. Would pull casual punters on site more than any other theme. Noticed the spinner sound was same as Episode 1 but as I watched for half an hour no sign of Jar Jar so panic over!

I think this will be Stern's best selling game they have done. We are in the sweet spot in the home collecting market and the new screen and this title will catch a ton of new buyers. And in the US they can still get pro's for around $5300.

I really like the look of it.

But, at current prices, the code/ruleset needs to be awesome.
So that would be less than £5k here :( So unfair..... ever get the feeling we live in the wrong country [emoji47]

Not even people who are not really in to Star Wars, and who love Pat Lawlor creations?

I'll wager you a pint of heavy that Dialed In takes a significant chunk of the spend that would otherwise have gone to Star Wars.

(Don't know how to verify that - but sod it, I'll buy you a pint of heavy anyway...)

I'll have a good watch later but the brief look that I had thought it looked good. Video looked pretty cool and it looked fast and furious. Still really looking forward to Dialed in as a big Pat fan.

Anyone know what Pat is doing next? Another JJP game? Themed?

Yea I'm one of those people in for a Dialed In over this. I think we must have polar opposite taste in pinball machines Neil as you always seem to get really excited about themes that do nothing for me and vice versa lol. No doubt I'm in the minority by disliking Star Wars so it's nice to see that I'm not the only one here who feels the same way looking at some of the comments above.
looks ok. Not a SW fan so the music after 2 hours is getting on my tits. Also not enough dark stuff. too goody goody for me.
I've watched some of the video this morning and it sounds like you did better than I am, the music started getting on my tits after 10 minutes lol.
Only had time to watch some of it. Got to try and look past the Star Wars theme.....
Yea I've only watched some of it and really struggling to see past the theme too. From what I've seen it looks like a good game if you are a Star Wars fan though, its pretty clear Stern are going to sell a whole load of these.

Overall I think it's another pretty shrewd business move from Stern. With Dialed In now in production and getting really positive reception from most people who have played it (even those who aren't in to the theme) they needed to come out with something big with wide appeal. If you can't out do the competition with quality, creativity and innovation then pull out the big gun theme and let that do the heavy lifting for you. It's great news for pinball in general, there should be something new out at the moment to appeal to pretty much any taste.

I have watched half an hour of the video.
It looks very nice, I am a fan of Star Wars so a big tick there.
Looks like lots of fun modes including the light show and the video screen.
The only thing that bothers me is that it looks like a re-themed AC/DC. Even with back handing the left ramp it just looks like I am watching someone play AC/DC.

So any Star Wars fans that don't already have AC/DC in their lineup it would be a great addition.
For me I couldn't justify paying the huge asking price and will stick with AC/DC. It's a shame because I love Steve Ritchie games, as it is 3 out of my 5 games were designed by him.

I am still looking forward to playing it on location.

Just for the record I would choose Dialled In over Star Wars if given the choice.

so much different to the DE European launch. 1 prototype machine on the Electrocoin stand at the Associated Leisure Autumn Preview with me and Nick Regan holding up the playfield whilst a tekkie did some emergency soldering. remember asking what was going on with the speeder video mode and being told - it will get sorted before rolling out. still waiting on that one. eventually it gave up the ghost so we sloped off to the Deith stand to play one of the 12 (twelve!) Fishtales lined up. happy days. the DE sold 10k plus. this game could be the record breaker for Stern (but we wont know!!)

Not even people who are not really in to Star Wars, and who love Pat Lawlor creations?

I'll wager you a pint of heavy that Dialed In takes a significant chunk of the spend that would otherwise have gone to Star Wars.

(Don't know how to verify that - but sod it, I'll buy you a pint of heavy anyway...)

I'll take lager. Dialled in is a good game but I don't think its a great game. Its JJP's best by a long chalk but that wasn't hard.

Yea I'm one of those people in for a Dialed In over this. I think we must have polar opposite taste in pinball machines Neil as you always seem to get really excited about themes that do nothing for me and vice versa lol. No doubt I'm in the minority by disliking Star Wars so it's nice to see that I'm not the only one here who feels the same way looking at some of the comments above.

I've watched some of the video this morning and it sounds like you did better than I am, the music started getting on my tits after 10 minutes lol.

Yea I've only watched some of it and really struggling to see past the theme too. From what I've seen it looks like a good game if you are a Star Wars fan though, its pretty clear Stern are going to sell a whole load of these.

Overall I think it's another pretty shrewd business move from Stern. With Dialed In now in production and getting really positive reception from most people who have played it (even those who aren't in to the theme) they needed to come out with something big with wide appeal. If you can't out do the competition with quality, creativity and innovation then pull out the big gun theme and let that do the heavy lifting for you. It's great news for pinball in general, there should be something new out at the moment to appeal to pretty much any taste.

To be honest I don't really care about themes, its about the game, let me use an example. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, but Star Trek the game I really don't like, DE and TNG I love, but Stern ST it just doesn't excite me or want me to go back for another game. Walking dead. I love zombies but the TV walking dead sucks in my view, but I love TWD, the game is just so great underneath. Batman'66 I bought on theme and faith that it would be a great game. there is a huge code updating coming in a week or so that really is supposed to make it a great game, right now its good but not great, if it doesn't make it great for me I'll be chopping it in. World Poker Tour, another epic game totally ****e theme...

I believe that great games win out over themes over time. I haven't played Star Wars, hoping it will be at pinburgh, but I did play Dialled in and I like it but not enough to own one. Star Wars looks to have the things I like but I won't really know until I play it, the good news is that it doesn't have a mid table flipper. I have a hard time with two let alone three :D

Cheers,
Neil.

Wow just watched the video and it looks a ton (tonne?) of fun.

Indifferent to the theme but the lighting, speed and varied play choices certainly make this very enticing.

It'll be interesting to see how the game is received by early buyers from both a playability and build quality POV.

I'm a big Star Wars fan but this just doesn't grab me and much as GB, AS, MET etc

It looks a bit like a reskinned game of thrones or AC/DC which I don't rate too much

Maybe as I'm such a big Star Wars fan I was expecting too much

I'm a big Star Wars fan but this just doesn't grab me and much as GB, AS, MET etc

It looks a bit like a reskinned game of thrones or AC/DC which I don't rate too much

Maybe as I'm such a big Star Wars fan I was expecting too much

Same. I am a Star Wars nut but it just looks a little soul less. Not enough effort gone into the play field art etc. Looks like someone whipped it up in photoshop in half an hour. The game could well be great though of course

I don't pay attention to these early 'pro' videos. Its almost always half the game it is supposed to be and is an exercise in early money grabbing. I mean, imagine if they banged out LE/Premium vids first THEN tried to sell the masses the cut down pro.....haha.

People often refer to the very bare bones layouts/toys of some of sterns machines, avatar, Iron man, BBH etc but there's even less on this pro SW! a model of the deathstar that does **** all, and a tie fighter on a spring!.

When I read reviews like below I REALLY want to play this game - fastest ever? We will see I guess.

Okay, I just got done playing the game with DaveH and ForceFlow in a quiet setting with the sound turned WAY up and...

Wow. Just WOW. This game is truly a blast to play. Say what you want about the sparse playfield...it's lightning fast, immersive as hell, and the music and sound are incredible. I'm upgrading my previous 7 to a 9, and have deleted all previous comments I made lest they wrongly influence somebody on the fence ( konghusker , I'm looking at you!).

This is a game that seems already almost fully coded (much like GOT did when shipping), and it's just the fastest game I've ever played. All three of us had the ball drain at one point before we could even react with the flipper in time. Think AFM on steroids (good luck with the center drain off those LCD targets!).

Terrific game. Those of you who haven't played it need to get over the art and sparsity of the playfield and play a game before judging...and DON'T do it in a loud environment with people hanging over your back waiting to play. This will be a great addition to anybody's collection in a home environment, and should make a killing on location.

And PS - My wife was playing the other SW across the room and had a grin from ear to ear the whole time. She loves it and can't wait for us to get ours.

People often refer to the very bare bones layouts/toys of some of sterns machines, avatar, Iron man, BBH etc but there's even less on this pro SW! a model of the deathstar that does **** all, and a tie fighter on a spring!.

Indeed. The Stones was ragged on for apparently having a bare layout. At least Mick On A Stick is an interactive toy/target - moving in reaction to a players actions, gameplay situation etc

Oh dear. I though this shît was behind us. Hope it is an isolated case.

images.pinside.com_0_ba_41_0ba41758d146a3491f8627166601c0ee146f3600.jpg

I don't really get the pinside hysteria over 1mm of ghosting on 1 insert. There's a steel ball smacking off every part of the playfield yet they expect Stern to ship them out a brand new one because of the tiniest of defects

Reactions: JMP
Back
Top Bottom