What's new

Pinside is such an angry place.....

Just seen Paypal looks like they automatically killed my dispute and there is no way to then contact them. Back to the CC company instead.

Thanks, @Wizcat. As @Paul said that link has valuable information for anyone with a credit or debit card, i.e., just about everyone, and not just those involved in PREDGATE.

I have fook all chance paid it from my bank account via paypal .... Dead in the water :(

Awww, man. Sorry to hear that @Will :( Bank transfers are a bitch. The only time I ever use them is to pay family or close friends. For everything else it Visa, even funding PayPal because you get protection. Hope the total utter sh*tstorm that's been kicked-off over on Pinside doesn't end in nasty legal action. Fingers very much crossed for you that eventually something Kevin/Skit-B says is true and refunds get made. I've read through the last 25 pages or so of the "official" thread over on Pinside. Yowzers, there's some really nasty vitriol going on there. Folks accusing each other of lying and time-wasting and fraud... and it's nothing to do with Predator, just between folks on that thread!

Much, much happier place here which is a shame because there's some great pinball restoration content on there, but I'm put off by some of the distinctly unfriendly attitudes.

Paypal are bastards. Everytime I log on they try to get me to link my bank details into them. So glad I didn't

Much, much happier place here which is a shame because there's some great pinball restoration content on there, but I'm put off by some of the distinctly unfriendly attitudes.
We are all civil here, it's one big happy family & I'm honoured to class myself as a member + the moderators are respected and take no 5hit, just the way it ought to be ;)

How did things pan out Nick ?

It didn't. I've gone down the CC Chargeback route which is what I was advised to do. I was hoping to be able to provide information but nothing of value was forthcoming, apart from the fact that I think those who paid from their bank need more luck than those of us who didn't.

There is no way the Matrix is licenced.

The difference here is pretty clear. Never planned production? With predator, if he'd just made a couple, it has to be more than their jobs worth chasing down a few hobby pins.

If there's one lesson to take from this for a pin company startup, it's the obvious thing anyone should do when starting up.....and that's to start with an original theme.

If there's one lesson to take from this for a pin company startup, it's the obvious thing anyone should do when starting up.....and that's to start with an original theme.
Couldn't agree more. What is this obsession with licensing? Are they scared a pin won't sell without a massive license? It's all a bit hypothetical for me as I'll never have the spare funds to buy a brand new pin, but if I did I'd be far more interested in a well designed game with great gameplay rather than a recognisable theme. Yes, a great game and a good theme would be awesome (was Predator a great game?), but a lame game can't be helped by a license.

Here's my acid test for Predator: if Kevin had come clean about the license would everyone had stayed in on the project if he'd managed to create a replacement original theme? Maybe something dark and mysterious, a bit evil, with skulls, guns, blood'n'guts'n'glory plus an eerie UV mode. That is, was the Predator whitewood game well-designed enough to be interesting and engaging to play without the Predator theme applied over the top? Because if it wasn't, then what was all the fuss about?

There has been a couple of blogs lately about licensing Vs non and general outcome is they sell more.

How difficult is it to say right, the themes going to be about scooters. Lol, I have no interest in scooters btw and i doubt anyone else here does but the idea is you can pick any object/sport/ etc etc and can make a game from it in the pinball world.

Make it universal & cool at the end of the day , that can stand the test of time. Just like Paragon & Vector have and so many other original titles.

Here's my acid test for Predator: if Kevin had come clean about the license would everyone had stayed in on the project if he'd managed to create a replacement original theme? Maybe something dark and mysterious, a bit evil, with skulls, guns, blood'n'guts'n'glory plus an eerie UV mode. That is, was the Predator whitewood game well-designed enough to be interesting and engaging to play without the Predator theme applied over the top? Because if it wasn't, then what was all the fuss about?

I'd imagine there would've been a lot of people pulling out at this point if re-themed. Anyway, he may come back into it and release gashbusters, but he must've burnt a few bridges by now.

Being a lazy ****er I would probably have stayed in for a rethemed pin if he had come clean last summer. The money was/is gone. It would still have been a run of 250 (maybe less) so I would probably have taken a punt.. Pretty sure that someone would then have created a conversion kit in the future to turn it back into a Predator

**** all chance of anyone ever giving Kevin a penny for anything in the future.

I take it that no one's heard a squeak from him since the last generic email.

I still don't think we've seen the fallout from this whole ****storm though. I really can't see anyone pre-ordering anything going forward from here, which might not be a bad thing. Will it also apply to existing companies as well? If Stern do release GOT I would have been queuing up to give them cash for a limited version. After this though I'll only buy as and when Phil has them in stock (and maybe only when there is proper code). If enough other people are also of the same mindset this could prove interesting for all companies out there

If you want to see real anger, look at the guardian newspaper website. The folk who comment on the articles enter a cesspit of anger, criticism, insults, sarcasm .....

I really need to stop reading stuff that makes my blood boil. :mad:

One of the worst places for me was the TES website, So many angry, angry teachers, It's bad enough going through crap without getting caught in a frustration loop. My problem is that I can't help letting things like this wind me up when I read them and then it puts me in a foul mood.

Pinside at the moment is like a bad drug. I keep going back to it but despite knowing that it will annoy the hell out of me. Hobbies are meant to be fun and to distract you from the crap that is going on in the world.

Oh well, got some beer in and playing some pinball tonight with my newly thinned down collection. Yeah, I can actually set them all up for a change (currently just one over my limit....)

If you want to see real anger, look at the guardian newspaper website. The folk who comment on the articles enter a cesspit of anger, criticism, insults, sarcasm .....
I was inclined to say that's because they're engaged in fierce debate over critical issues that affect us all like the NHS, defence, foreign aid, tax, etc., but suspect it's just as vile under headlines about Kim Kardashian's latest hair style ;)

The guardian lot hate each other no matter what the topic. Serious or trivial. Like football hooligans arriving at a service station for a pre-arranged fight.

I think everyone needs to limit how much social media they do. I try to limit myself to one forum as there is too much low grade, ignorant, ranting on the net

I am occasionally on the vw California website as like this one it is an excellent place for DIY repairs, spares, and knowledge sharing. On that one there is an ongoing Cold War between the optimists (vw is brill, reliable, quality) and the realists (how many warranty claims do you need before you realise that the vw California is less reliable than a 1980s fiat ?). It is a little known fact that on this 46k vehicle literally every one produced has a corroding roof within months. It takes 2 weeks to repair the fault and the backlog of work goes back years.

Well, it's a week since Kevin sent out the email "refunds will be swift and happen in a few days"

I wonder what his definition of swift and a few days means......

Paypal are bastards. Everytime I log on they try to get me to link my bank details into them. So glad I didn't

agree with you on that John, as a business I use paypal for ebay sales so they only want your bank details so that they can dip into it if there isn't any money in the account so they don't lose out :mad:

Well, it's a week since Kevin sent out the email "refunds will be swift and happen in a few days"

I wonder what his definition of swift and a few days means......
Well obviously longer than a week.
Looks like its even more beer tonight while playing pinball.

Just make sure whilst you're drowning your sorrows that you don't do anything silly like searching Kickstarter for pinball projects... :eek:

Which of course led me to search kickstarter.com for pinball projects which inevitably led me to Vonnie D's Pinball Gremlims: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2065029795/pinball-gremlins-pinball-machine

Successfully funded in July 2014 backers are supposed to get their pins during July to September 2015 depending on level. Last update on Kickstarter was August 23, 2014. Last Twitter update the day before https://twitter.com/vonniedpinball and latest date on anything on the website http://www.vonniedpinball.com/ is Nov 21, 2014 for the Free-Play Florida expo. Hasn't Barry Oursler joined Heighway?

Did Vonnie D disintegrate and I just missed all the action?

Just make sure whilst you're drowning your sorrows that you don't do anything silly like searching Kickstarter for pinball projects... :eek:

Which of course led me to search kickstarter.com for pinball projects which inevitably led me to Vonnie D's Pinball Gremlims: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2065029795/pinball-gremlins-pinball-machine

Successfully funded in July 2014 backers are supposed to get their pins during July to September 2015 depending on level. Last update on Kickstarter was August 23, 2014. Last Twitter update the day before https://twitter.com/vonniedpinball and latest date on anything on the website http://www.vonniedpinball.com/ is Nov 21, 2014 for the Free-Play Florida expo. Hasn't Barry Oursler joined Heighway?

Isn't one of them locked up for selling dubious substances or something?!

he got sent to jail for selling meth i think

Lol, yes you missed that one, what a laugh.

"Hey, we got this Future Pinball blueprint, its amazing! The geometry is so far off that it makes the game literally out of this world." Send $$

Whole thing was being advertised by muppets (puppets) for $20? a pop.

Attempted to catch some pre orderers with this one and some people PROBABLY took the bait. But that whole successful thing is/was a scam with bot donators.

Another strategy outdone in the startup pinball ****nal.

Back
Top Bottom