What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Longer Available LOTR LE - before it goes to France...

This reminds me of the thread on pinside regarding whether you should pack heat when slapping cash on the glass. Only on pinside... :rofl:
We'd all be packing if we were allowed to. Practically every transaction would turn into an episode of Miami Vice.

"I'll see you in the harbour at 1.00AM, we'll unload goods and the do the deal". (I'm packing in case this all goes south, I need you there as another pair of eyes.)

Sorry just read you’re meeting him. Just be careful.
Anyone willing to pay €12000 for a dmd stern will also be willing to cross the channel to pick it up. Personally I wouldn’t go to France.

I've delivered/picked up games in France twice. Both pre-Brexit so no issues with VAT, but the sales went fine. Even got a free night in Paris for me and the wife for one trade!

I've delivered/picked up games in France twice. Both pre-Brexit so no issues with VAT, but the sales went fine. Even got a free night in Paris for me and the wife for one trade!
Exactly this. Popping to France is no more of a risk than meeting a stranger here in the U.K. with a pocket full of money.

Just take some common sense precautions in both cases and you will likely be fine.

Exactly this. Popping to France is no more of a risk than meeting a stranger here in the U.K. with a pocket full of money.

Just take some common sense precautions in both cases and you will likely be fine.
What rings bells here is the price, almost double the market value.

just a word of advice i move a lot of machines you will be liable for the vat as we're not part of europe anymore. You can't carry more than 10000 euros in cash into the uk best thing to do if he's paying that kind of money is pay for his euro tunnel ticket and meet him at folkstone. Let him take the risk because if you get a pull you will need a good story not to get a bill and dont get paid in 500 euro notes as they're no good here

What rings bells here is the price, almost double the market value.
It's not even close to double the market value. Possibly for a stock LOTR...

just a word of advice i move a lot of machines you will be liable for the vat as we're not part of europe anymore. You can't carry more than 10000 euros in cash into the uk best thing to do if he's paying that kind of money is pay for his euro tunnel ticket and might him at folkstone. Let him take the risk because if you get a pull you will need a good story not to get a bill and dont get paid in 500 euro notes as they're no good here

It will be a bank transfer, wouldn't do it in cash.. Would that still pose an issue?

Bonsoir Rich
Je suis en train de me renseigner ici a Calais pour amener un flipper au Pinfest pour une simple exposition puis retour en France et franchement ce n'est pas facile
Les douanes , la chambre de commerce et l'état Français aiment avoir leur part d'argent sur absolument tout !!!
et la paperasse a remplir est impressionnante !!!

Si je peux vous donner un conseil a vous et votre acheteur c'est de bien vous renseigner
Ne prenais pas les douanes pour des débiles , vous pourriez le regretter amèrement

Si cela peut vous aider , je possède ici a Calais un bâtiment industriel ou vous pourrirez vous rencontrer en présence de témoins et essayer le flipper
(certains parmi vous me connaissent pour m'avoir vue dans différents tournois...Victor Machart
)

Bonne vente, tous les Français ne sont pas des voleurs (désolé de ne pas parler Anglais)

Google translate says
Good evening, Rich

I'm inquiring here in Calais to bring a pinball machine to Pinfest for a simple exhibition and then back to France and frankly it's not easy

Customs, the Chamber of Commerce and the French State like to have their share of money on absolutely everything!!!

And the paperwork to fill is impressive!!!

If I can give you and your buyer advice, it's to inform you well

Don't take customs for idiots, you might regret it bitterly

If this can help you, I own an industrial building here in Calais where you will rot to meet in the presence of witnesses and try pinball

(Some of you know me for seeing me in different tournaments... Victor Machart

)

Good seller, not all French people are thieves (sorry not to speak English)

It's not even close to double the market value. Possibly for a stock LOTR...

It will be a bank transfer, wouldn't do it in cash.. Would that still pose an issue?
Agreed Limited edition is a lot higher than people think on here, you have every mod, most now super rare and expensive if you can even find them. It's probably about right to the right buyer, that's always the trick.

People need to ask can I actually get a LE, the answer is probably no. I don't see anyone publicly responding to @Bobbdobalina request for one that's not a limited edition nor the other person a couple of months ago trying to get one . Can I get one that wasn't on an operators site, might be tough. Not impossible if your happy to wait.

Would we as forum members publicly say we would pay £10k for one probably not, but that's not to say that's not it's current market value.

I've only ever seen one LE edition for sale and that's was on here a two ish years ago and I suspect it's this one 🥳

just a word of advice i move a lot of machines you will be libel for the vat as where not part of europe any more you carnt carry more than 10000 euros in cash into the uk best thing to do if his paying that kind of money is pay for his euro tunnel ticket and might him at folkstone let him take the risk because if you get a pull you will need a good story not to get a bill and dont get paid in 500 euro notes as they no good here
I just bought a Euro machine from Holland and it was sent to the U.K. I’ve just had to pay £1,850 duty and vat bill for import. I already was prepared for it but just to say… someone will probably end up having to pay, so be prepared.

What about if I did the trade for the Indiana Jones?
He's liable for VAT on the import of the LOTR, you are liable for VAT on the import of IJ

You set the price, but customs may want to see a sales receipt. You may be able to drive straight through, you may be able to say you are taking it to a show or to a friend etc, but in all likelihood, you'll get stopped.

There is no part of me that would be driving over and taking the risk of being stopped, I'd have no problem driving to Europe and doing the sale but I wouldn't take the risk with customs, if you;re driving, you're liable both ways!

So your going to have a receipt of sale each saying the machines are a few hundred quid as they are faulty right ;)

some imagination needed.

if need to cover further, a "missing chip" here or there so they dont power on will verify.

This is one thing that worries me a bit about ever selling machines back to the UK, I would have to pay the 20% VAT and factor that in, which is fair enough.

But what would happen if customs decided you may have undeclared the value, a quick google will bring up retailers and eBay flippers asking top dollar for games.

Could they just decide that 3k game is 'worth' 6k and ask for more VAT?

Maybe things have tightened up but I didn’t get stopped either time I went other than on the way out they put my transit on the old scanner/X-ray thingy mabob lol.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the tips and advice here.
However, it is very conflicting.

So would the best option be to sell rather than trade? Would customs nite on my return journey they pinball machine was no longer in my car if I stated I was taking it to a show?

Thanks,

Rich

Perhaps give them a call they have a helpline number:

0300 322 9434

If you have a business registered to vat from looking on line the vat amount might be less, but with all these things it's complicated.

Would I be liable for the VAT or would the buyer seeing as he is receiving the machine?

Would I be liable for the VAT or would the buyer seeing as he is receiving the machine?
Hi Rich, I’ve recently done this with a machine but got it set. In all honesty it will mostly depend on how honest you want to be. For example you are driving to France in a van I would think. But you could say you are moving there and you are taking your possessions with you. For this to be convincing you’d have to pack more than a pinball and be prepared to give the buyers address there. Then you won’t have to pay anything. If you are sending to a buyer its his responsibility to pay the extra taxes etc BUT that will depend on the price you negotiate. You must be clear with him on the total price. Whether he gives you £1800 more or you discount £1800 for him. whatever you do do not go out there without agreeing that and ideally getting the (or some money) up front. If you meet him in the U.K. it’s his problem. If you drive into France it’s your problem, in as much as you will have to deal with customs and fess up or blag it. Coming back is not an issue at all. The last option is that you may encounter no stops either way and just get lucky. Hope that helps.

Hi Rich, I’ve recently done this with a machine but got it set. In all honesty it will mostly depend on how honest you want to be. For example you are driving to France in a van I would think. But you could say you are moving there and you are taking your possessions with you. For this to be convincing you’d have to pack more than a pinball and be prepared to give the buyers address there. Then you won’t have to pay anything. If you are sending to a buyer its his responsibility to pay the extra taxes etc BUT that will depend on the price you negotiate. You must be clear with him on the total price. Whether he gives you £1800 more or you discount £1800 for him. whatever you do do not go out there without agreeing that and ideally getting the (or some money) up front. If you meet him in the U.K. it’s his problem. If you drive into France it’s your problem, in as much as you will have to deal with customs and fess up or blag it. Coming back is not an issue at all. The last option is that you may encounter no stops either way and just get lucky. Hope that helps.
Cheers mate.

I'd be driving it into Calais in a car. Fits in my Freelander. I've just been tempted to say I'm taking it to get repaired..

I don't think you can drive a van now, I remember reading about something changing this year, it has to be done as some sort of registered company, I might be wrong and talking rubbish

I don't think you can drive a van now, I remember reading about something changing this year, it has to be done as some sort of registered company, I might be wrong and talking rubbish
Hmm actually not talking rubbish, from 22nd may you need a goods vehicle operators licence

Wonder if that applies to moving house stuff?

Reactions: JT.
Back
Top Bottom