What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Johnny Mnemonic re-decal etc

Hopefully this will be ready for decals when the paint dries, although I'm not sure if I'll need to do a very fine sand to finish the paint. I'm also hoping that I don't experience any of ronnie63's issues with peeling decals as everyone else seems to recommend painting first.

IMG_20180206_173151.jpg

I think you will be fine as it's fully painted where as mine was just like overspray, just make sure the paint is fully dried out I guess

I found that some overspray could be literally brushed off so that might explain it.

I had loads of black dust from doing the interior on my cab. Some meths on kitchen towel lifted anything that hadn’t cured (or from sanding) really nicely. I’d test an inconspicuous area first though [emoji106]

I was giving it a final check over and noticed a slightly raised area of filler which had to go. Not sure how I missed it before but more sanding and painting!

That's looking great, only you will notice any imperfections, did you put them on dry or use the wet method?

Did mine dry too, and yes the edges were scary! I too was stressed, particularly the front corners where the 2 decals meet!

Yes soapy water! And it does work I have done it on some fiddly video game control panels, it ensures no bubbles

I think the folk across the pond sometimes use "Windex".

I take it these are the Mikonos decals from ZonaArcade in Spain?

Best grab em while you can 'cos they'll go the way of the dodo like my Bally Williams decals did. :mad:

Very astute, do you have an opinion on them? They were the only cheaper option I could find at the time, I've since found at least two unofficial sources.

He does good work. I thought the blues looked a little lighter but may just be the photos.

There’s a few people doing them but none will be perfect, cos there’s no official JM ones.

And I dont care what anyone says, even NextGen stuff has wrong colours on some of their decals. Its just the way it goes.

Aren't the Ministry of Pinball ones official?

Yes, I would say the blue is a little deeper in real life.

That's interesting, I had just assumed that anyone advertising so blatantly was official.

A lot of Ministry’s stuff isn’t official, just their own repro’s. Pinball Center is the same, actually most it.

Hey that's mine! could be, it's my old machine ( Actually I don't think there are many on here who haven't owned this machine :) )

The side rails are off, I just pushed with my decorator's knife and hammered in a couple of stubborn spots. I didn't use any heat.

IMG_20180216_163317_800x600.jpg
IMG_20180216_165412_800x600.jpg
IMG_20180216_165509_800x600.jpg

Sanding the artwork off the main cabinet was much harder work than the backbox, I did the front and one side in about an hour. This did make me wish I had a £500 Festool but I'd still rather do it this way than with a heat gun.

sanded-cab.jpg

Lots of elbow grease required to clean up the siderails. I can certainly see the attraction of buying new ones but I'm trying to keep the budget down and they only have a couple of tiny dents and scuffs.

siderail(Medium).jpg

Back
Top Bottom