What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Johnny Mnemonic re-decal etc

Lots of elbow grease required to clean up the siderails. I can certainly see the attraction of buying new ones but I'm trying to keep the budget down and they only have a couple of tiny dents and scuffs.

View attachment 59423

Use a hot air gun with the scraper to melt most of it off, then wipe it down with thinners.

You’ll be done in minutes :)

Sounds like I needed more heat, I tried a hairdryer on full heat and it didn't seem to make any difference. Job done now anyway.

new skids on the back and plastic studs

Do you make the skids from scratch? The wood seems to be a pretty odd size.

Edit: I found that B&Q do 15x21mm or 15x25mm "stripwood", which seems close enough without trying to make an exact replica.

Last edited:
A couple of rounds of filler done. I feel like I'm getting the hardener ratio right these days.

IMG_20180221_174021_600x800.jpg

New skids, after popping to B & Q for 15x25mm stripwood and 2 minutes on the chopsaw.

IMG_20180221_203553_640x290.jpg

That makes sense, although by the way the originals have fallen apart I'd be surprised if they were a dense wood. I think I'll screw these on so that they could be easily replaced.

Do these types have the sliders nailed in too? They add some protection to the skids.

The originals are hardwood unless they have been changed by someone. I used softwood on my old shadow and they got chewed up first time I moved it even with the plastic sliders on it

Yes, having pulled them off I think the old ones are hardwood, even though they are fairly well destroyed. I guess the weight of the machine is too much for pine :(

Lots of filling and sanding done and now the cabinet has a coat of primer. More sanding and priming to do when it dries.

cab-primed.jpg

Now to see if I can fix up the 'beast from the east' a little bit (right ramp).

IMG_20180228_152516 (Medium).jpg

I managed to improve things a bit by picking away the glue that a previous owner had run down the inside. I still applied liberal amounts of epoxy but mostly on the underside this time.

IMG_20180228_164611 (Small).jpg

Pinball spare parts Australia have plenty of Johnny M parts, and the last time I looked they had both ramps.

Perhaps some gentle heat from the opposite side of the decal would soften the adhesive and aid removal?

Quite possibly, but I don't know if I'm brave enough to try it.

For now, I have done a bit of 3D printing and applied great globs of epoxy.

IMG_20180302_094533 (Medium).jpg

To repair cracked ramps I make shaped brackets from stainless steel and bolt them on securely, Theu not only hide the cracks but make it super strong

Back
Top Bottom