What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Johnny Mnemonic re-decal etc

insx

Registered
Alias
Tim S
I've decided to restore my JM's cabinet. I was in two minds whether it's worth it as the playfield is never going to be mint but I would like the machine to look nice when it's installed into the man cave so I'm going for it. I've never done this before but at least I won't be learning on the most expensive game in the world. I'll give stuff a good clean up too but I won't be stripping and tumbling everything, reproducing every sticker or painting things you don't see. Wish me luck!

Boards out and head off (the new decals are between those cardboard sheets).

Boards out (Medium).jpg

Cab in bits (Medium).jpg

As I said, I won't be reproducing every sticker but I did want to cover the windows on these ROMs. The old stickers had fallen off most of them.

ROMs labelled (Medium).jpg

Today's little lunch time job was to remove some bolts and stuff from the backbox. A couple of corners will need some filling. I'm going for the sanding method to remove the existing art, I'm going to try my £40 orbital sander from Wickes first but I have a better one available if necessary.

backbox.jpg

I guess you would call this the point of no return. I can confirm that a £40 Wickes sander is perfectly adequate to remove WPC artwork.

sander (Medium).jpg

part-sanded-bb (Medium).jpg

clean-bb-side (Medium).jpg

It needs to be Baby skin Smooth @insx - Any slight flaws will be magnified 100x when the new decals are on.....

It needs to be Baby skin Smooth @insx - Any slight flaws will be magnified 100x when the new decals are on.....
Yep, I read that somewhere. I'm a long way off from sticking anything to anything.

Several hours of filling and sanding (and filling and sanding again where I hadn't added enough hardener) and it's feeling pretty smooth. The next job will be applying primer when it arrives with Hermes.

filled-sanded (Medium).jpg

Bolts blackened using the cereal box method.

cereal-box.jpg

Reactions: DRD
Good work so far, reminds me when I did DW. The head is a walk in the park compared to the cabinet! I think some pins have the art screened on to the head but decal on the cabinet.

Ronnie

I'm hoping the cabinet is much the same, just a lot bigger. Fortunately, sanding off the artwork leaves the surface a lot nicer than digging around with a scraper.

I painted some black stuff. It's just as well that I'm not too bothered about the back as the cheap masking tape that I grabbed has pulled off some bits of the old black paint around the warning text.

bb-front-masked (Medium).jpg

bb-back-masked (Medium).jpg

bb-back-painted (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Just a heads up! on my backbox round the edges where the acrylic black spray has overlapped on to the sides the decal has started to lift! it must have reacted with the glue on the decal!

Oh, that's interesting. I was going to prime everything and then spray the edges black, which I thought was the usual way of doing things :hmm:

Well I think next time I would either mask the edges to avoid overspray to the sides or maybe clearcoat on top of the black.

Some priming done, which has highlighted the need for some more tiny bits of filler (annoyingly including one of my repaired corners which has cracked). I've also learned not to rub too hard with tack cloth as it can introduce exactly the problem that you are trying to solve.

bb-priming (Medium).jpg

You really need to get that warning text screened on a fully painted backbox, for all the work you are putting in on the machine it's going to let the complete job down.
You will regret not getting it done.

Oh well. I guess these things are proper expensive?

Depends on what you want my ocd would never be able to handle this if you want perfection it’s a must
Like anything when doing cabs quick easy and simple or slow expensive and perfection
Option 1 quick prep cheep decals no back screen and use the old side rails looks better at first glance and 9 out of ten people won’t tell the difference
Or the mint option days and days of cab prep using quality materials screen the back box £40 genuine decals new polished side rails and runners new skids on the back and plastic studs and while you are there get all the metal re zinc plated even the side rail adhesive tape I use is £100 for 30m after all this you will have something to be proud of

If a jobs worth doing, then for feck sake do it right.
It will affect your selling on chances in the future. What you spend on doing things correctly then you will get that back when you come to sell. Who wants a partly restored machine ? Not me.

Thanks for your opinions. I want the decals to look right, I'm not bothered if parts that you never look at are a bit rough. It would be nice to have a mint cab but I'm not going to spend hundreds more to achieve it. The machine will never be mint as various bits of playfield unobtanium are busted.

What are genuine decals ?

Are they vinyl that has been screen printed ?

Back
Top Bottom