What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jaws! By Stern… We’re going to need a bigger games room !

Glad they got cool LCD assets, sounds, all the characters present.
Bringing the shark out from under Ben Gardners boat then bashing the shark once before it dissappears. Dunno, a bit underwhelming that part.

Just watched again and noticed Keith actually timed out on a few modes
Is this gonna be a players pin and will frustration set in
There's a jurassic park feel to it
Still looking forward to more gameplay to decide

Surely there will be an option in the games settings to turn off the 3d video mode option. Or are they also going to provide a Stern 3D glasses dispenser for operators for only £1,499 extra?

Surely there will be an option in the games settings to turn off the 3d video mode option. Or are they also going to provide a Stern 3D glasses dispenser for operators for only £1,499 extra?
You can select 3d or 2d right before the mode starts

Just feels weird to have the option there if 99% of people won't have 3d glasses available, unless I've woken up in 2004? 🤪
Onsite yes, but a good majority will be in people's homes and the Pin comes with a pair of glasses. It seems like it's there as a bit of nostalgia, and as you can choose 2d then there's no harm in it.

What struck me was the grimness of it. Lots of screaming etc. A happy feely game it isn't! Right on theme but this lacks the usual elwin layout sparke and is a more traditional Stern. The video was lacking somewhat and I'll wait to see the pro as the orca added nothing, he even didn't bother flipping to let ot drain which wasn't a seller.

I like it . . . . I actually feel like I might understand the rules for once 😂 . . . I love the short stream too.

Not a fan of the upper playfield, it seems like it might kill the satisfaction on that ramp shot.

Watched the stream and what struck me like a wet kipper to the face was the lack of immersion. The lighting although nice and bright felt very meh 🫤 the odd radar sweep but no real use of RGB colours to represent anything. Where’s the GI LED representation of danger, red blood, blue underwater effects etc? Is it all just happening on that shark fin cut away area?

Alien has amazing immersion due to good use of light and sound. I accept this is early code but surely that would be right up there to sell the theme and not some half baked 3D video mode.

Watched it a few times, it’s a definite maybe.
Like the modes, shark fishing battles and the rescue swimmers.
No denying, it’s got some great movie clips and audio from Quint so far in this early code.
Need some more Brody speech.
Aiming the harpoon for the shark fin.
I like the homage to the 3D game, Nostalgia for me, guess they had to put their own spin on it due to licensing..
Killer shark vs Shark HunterC25E568B-B0C6-4EDF-8073-4DD47630C5CA.jpeg

Realise it was only a short snippet, but the machine looks pretty difficult at times - lots of modes with what seem to be quite tight time limits, and it took him a few attempts to get that fishing reel shot key to completing the shark captures.

The rule set didn’t seem to be as confusing as AIQ, so maybe it ends up being around Jurassic Park level of difficulty?

Video mode should be one of the modes available when you are playing as JAWS/Bruce. Like the old side to side video modes, HS2, Shadow, Indy but instead of dodging and avoiding you would have to eat swimmers and as you eat more and more people the water gets more and more red with blood.

Once entire sea is red, bloodbath the mode ends or it ends early if you hit a boat or get hunted by the orca, use the action button to dive and resurface to avoid being hunted. Instead we got some 3D **** 😂

I know the code is a bit intense for some but I bloody love Avengers. He hasn't missed so far and I'm sure Jaws will be great, that video just didn't do the best job of conveying it perhaps. Look forward to seeing more and hearing what the EAG folk think

Just get the quality street wrappers out, strawberry cream and purple hazelnut. Oh wait they went to paper… 🫣🤣
Pfff over Xmas, asked Mrs to get me a tub of quality street. She came back with Heros and Celebrations. Said Tesco didn’t have any 🙄
Few days later she messaged my to say she got some. Was getting myself prepared to sit down and watch National Lampoons Xmas Vacation, got my mouth all ready for a nice selection of QS delights….
She comes in with a bag of these
🤮😷
Even worse than coffee revels
92898663-65D6-4DBA-8209-2F2AE42F65E2.jpeg

Pfff over Xmas, asked Mrs to get me a tub of quality street. She came back with Heros and Celebrations. Said Tesco didn’t have any 🙄
Few days later she messaged my to say she got some. Was getting myself prepared to sit down and watch National Lampoons Xmas Vacation, got my mouth all ready for a nice selection of QS delights….
She comes in with a bag of these
🤮😷
Even worse than coffee revels
View attachment 241492
Paper wrappers in a plastic tub! … wtf!!

I’ve just watched about half of it.

Keith is not amazing at selling machines - he doesn’t have the salesman energy (possibly he’s concentrating too hard) and how he plays a machine isn’t illustrative of the gameplay experience of a lot of players. It’s better when you see ordinary players mucking about in a bar.

This is definitely a player’s pin, but I’d say that goes for most of the Elwins. I think if this was the first Elwin I’d ever seen, I’d be as super-excited as I was seeing the JP2 stream for the first time. However, by now, I’m familiar with features like the single side pop, multiple flippers (esp. the third flipper), skill shots that measure skill, and rules that are more complex than ’shoot every other shot in a fan layout’. Thus, it feels a potentially great buy if you’re choosing your third Elwin, love the theme or are bored of your existing pins, but - as the owner of JP2 and GZ - I’m not seeing any reason to swap right now.

Interestingly, the main vibe I got wasn’t grimness, it was ‘vintage nautical’. For some reason, I kept thinking it would be more fun (for me) as a Hunt for Red October pin - between the voices and the footage, it was more boats than Jaws (although my three year old likes the shark in the trailer). The shark ideally needed to be bigger and to eat the pinball, although I expect Keith Elwin would feel it would make Jaws too similar to JP2. I’d argue there are other ways for a model to eat a pinball, with JP1 as a good example - great gameplay, feels different from JP2, but the dinosaur eats the ball.

Last edited:
Elwin was so unenthusiastic.

I agree Andy but had a bit of sympathy for him really because he's clearly naturally shy and probably doesn't get massively excited or animated. His demeanour probably isn't reflective of his enthusiasm for the game.

As for the game . . . choose a shark to hunt, harpoon it and then reel it in with the fishing rod 👌 . . . that's the sort of simplicity I love.

I agree Andy but had a bit of sympathy for him really because he's clearly naturally shy and probably doesn't get massively excited or animated. His demeanour probably isn't reflective of his enthusiasm for the game.

As for the game . . . choose a shark to hunt, harpoon it and then reel it in with the fishing rod 👌 . . . that's the sort of simplicity I love.

Yeah that's it mate, not necessarily easy to do especially if it doesn't come naturally.

I'll rewatch it later on a telly rather than my phone, see if I can get more sense of how it shoots. The thing he always nails is layout and I can't imagine this is any different.

Yeah that's it mate, not necessarily easy to do especially if it doesn't come naturally.

I'll rewatch it later on a telly rather than my phone, see if I can get more sense of how it shoots. The thing he always nails is layout and I can't imagine this is any different.

Let's be fair. Stern have come out with some decent games, some absolute stinkers and some slow burners.

It's a tough ask for this to be better than Godzilla but I think I'll enjoy playing it based on what I've seen so far.

End of the day he's there to promote the machine meaning elwin
He's obviously handpicked titbits out to give everyone a feel on the different
Modes on offer that saying its early days
I would be interested in how the boat (Buoyancy) interacts in code too
Seen it was at 100% on screen unless I've misunderstood something there

Back
Top Bottom