What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GUITARISTS

Ok! Progress!

I went to see another r9 today which was pretty nice, a 2021 model I think, a fair bit cheaper too.

As I was putting it down, the fella said ‘you should try this’, and wandered out the room. He came back with a beaten up case which he opened, Vincent Vega style, to reveal a ‘74 custom in wine red.

I plugged it in and wow, it felt alive. The tone was warm and deep and it sustained unlike the others I’ve tried. Both clean and dirty, it purred and rocked!

It has some heavyish wear to it, but in places you expect and the frets all still have life in them. The fretboard is ebony and super smooth and the action is so low, unlike any guitar I’ve played. We went over it in a black light and there were no repairs anywhere. The hardware is all original and it has a letter from Gibson from 2021 authenticating it.

The wear initially bothered my brain, as I had gone down the route of looking for perfect examples, but you know, I’ll be less afraid of taking places and it getting a scratch and well it just showed it has been well used and loved and has entertained maybe 1000s of people over the years!

It’s a fair few hundred less that the 08 r9 as well.

I think I know what I need to do now…

B0EBAD0D-F231-4B56-9293-87E5BDA4E1DA.jpeg90B97ABB-3D38-4EF1-887D-32EFD3F9F8D9.jpeg1038A64D-1CE9-44F1-8CFB-7AF82A2BB8F4.jpegB8C21521-7A07-438A-BAB9-8EDFD0392BA2.jpegBE51E2FA-160D-42B9-9B39-669630961484.jpeg

Attachments

• 7D8894D7-2A17-4FC0-8628-F78FA0C046BE.jpeg
    7D8894D7-2A17-4FC0-8628-F78FA0C046BE.jpeg
    227.9 KB · Views: 3
Ok! Progress!

I went to see another r9 today which was pretty nice, a 2021 model I think, a fair bit cheaper too.

As I was putting it down, the fella said ‘you should try this’, and wandered out the room. He came back with a beaten up case which he opened, Vincent Vega style, to reveal a ‘74 custom in wine red.

I plugged it in and wow, it felt alive. The tone was warm and deep and it sustained unlike the others I’ve tried. Both clean and dirty, it purred and rocked!

It has some heavyish wear to it, but in places you expect and the frets all still have life in them. The fretboard is ebony and super smooth and the action is so low, unlike any guitar I’ve played. We went over it in a black light and there were no repairs anywhere. The hardware is all original and it has a letter from Gibson from 2021 authenticating it.

The wear initially bothered my brain, as I had gone down the route of looking for perfect examples, but you know, I’ll be less afraid of taking places and it getting a scratch and well it just showed it has been well used and loved and has entertained maybe 1000s of people over the years!

It’s a fair few hundred less that the 08 r9 as well.

I think I know what I need to do now…

View attachment 196906View attachment 196907View attachment 196908View attachment 196909View attachment 196911
Looks very nice:) - might just be me, but some of the fret nibs and fret board binding look a bit janky (maybe has a re-fret, which would be understandable).

EDIT: Might just be the camera angle, so apologies in advance, but the neck could possibly be a bit twisted?; looks a bit odd. Also taking a another look at that binding, it does look very rough (personally wouldn't want to pay top dollar for that and obvs wouldn't touch it if it does have a twist in the neck)
If you really wanna get it, would defo still try and haggle on the price (as long as you don't take the p~#s:) - I'd imagine the guy is asking for around £4k?; prob would knock a couple of hundred off? (the finish checking etc and buckle rash is great to some of us, but to others, it might make it difficult to sell on at what you paid for if you ever needed/wanted to move it on)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom