What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GUITARISTS

Ok I know absolutely nothing about guitars but a mate of mine is super passionate about them and has about a dozen in his collection some of them crazy money!
Anyways several years ago or maybe more he was in guitar guitar Newcastle buying yet another best guitar ever made 😝 and after weeks of him going back and forth I started perusing the acoustics thinking I could be the next superstar if I learned how to play, as let’s face it it looks so easy anyone can do it.
Anyway I kept going back to the same 3/4 guitar that time was just so beautiful. It also had some tech wizardry built in that helped you tune it so for someone tone deaf like me this was going to make me a legend.
Leg end more like after a few weeks it was safely stored away never again to see the light of day. Until this morning that it! While tidying up the spare room safety tucked underneath my very expensive dust covered Roland electronic drum kit. I bought the drum kit in a similar situation thinking I was gonna be the next Cozy Powel (cock powel more like) any way I digress.

So here is my guitar in all its glory and still looking really nice albeit never used more than a few minutes when my fingers started to hurt I’d had enough 😂

2C159A47-2D4D-40DC-BCDF-8A62651EABB1.jpeg0C6CDB56-9A7F-44F7-B433-E2C7C4BEFED9.jpeg5DDA60A2-DA58-48C4-899C-9943ADE4C69A.jpegFCA5DD5A-5F8A-4C37-B619-38BE370049AB.jpegB3290A67-F6AF-442A-86A6-45B491710CD1.jpeg

Ok I know absolutely nothing about guitars but a mate of mine is super passionate about them and has about a dozen in his collection some of them crazy money!
Anyways several years ago or maybe more he was in guitar guitar Newcastle buying yet another best guitar ever made 😝 and after weeks of him going back and forth I started perusing the acoustics thinking I could be the next superstar if I learned how to play, as let’s face it it looks so easy anyone can do it.
Anyway I kept going back to the same 3/4 guitar that time was just so beautiful. It also had some tech wizardry built in that helped you tune it so for someone tone deaf like me this was going to make me a legend.
Leg end more like after a few weeks it was safely stored away never again to see the light of day. Until this morning that it! While tidying up the spare room safety tucked underneath my very expensive dust covered Roland electronic drum kit. I bought the drum kit in a similar situation thinking I was gonna be the next Cozy Powel (cock powel more like) any way I digress.

So here is my guitar in all its glory and still looking really nice albeit never used more than a few minutes when my fingers started to hurt I’d had enough 😂

View attachment 176666View attachment 176667View attachment 176668View attachment 176669View attachment 176670
I also have this guitar, buried somewhere under a pile of other guitars..from what I remember it is a lovely guitar to play, I must dig it out 😊

I have a white Fender Strat, lefty brought back from the US and a Fretlight (hard to find in the UK) that plugs into a computer and has LEDs in the kneck to assist learning/playing. Used to hand out with Gary Moore when he lived down the Edgware Road.

Had to Google ‘trips rod cover’ and it is upside down compared with other models. I thought it was a real one when I bought it. Anything else I should look for?
Apologies for the reply - I see you checked it out on YouTube and looks o.k; great news and a lovely guitar👍
Wasn't suggesting it was fake; just asked as it's a very expensive guitar for some who doesn't play :) I'd imagine the value has probably gone up since you bought it, so great purchase.
Sorry about the truss rod typo - does look odd upside down, but not doing any harm.
I'm sure the youtube vid covered everything, but apart typically fake ones have stuff like logo errors, wrong headstock pitch, strange chunky nut, sometimes no truss tod at all in the neck, no binding/nibs on the side of the frets, wrong Bridge etc. From my experience playing a couple of fakes a while back, they always play terribly and can be really difficult to get set up to play well.

Yes mate. I've got another solid top custom jobby and a crappy Fender Strat too.

Also got my first ever guitar which is a 3 quarter size given to me by Pete Townshend when I was a kid😁
Hope that's all Townsend gave to you kris...😉
My dad reckons he went to school with PT at some point; not sure if he's talking out of his behind though...

View attachment 176666View attachment 176667View attachment 176668View attachment 176669View attachment 176670
Very nice Col; can't go wrong with Martin - the back of the neck in particular looks very nice. Looks like the fretboard could use a bit of oiling though, as looks a bit dry. Guitar shops sell I think it oil/lemon fretboard oil - 5 minute job.

Best acoustic I've ever owned and still have eisteddfod a Taylor - not a mega expensive one (but most I've ever spent on an accoustic), but a lovely sounding and playing guitar.

Sold an old HM strat I'd had for years thr other day and so ended up getting this bad boy;
20220821_214731.jpg
20220821_214747.jpg20220821_214741.jpg
Not a massive fan of Ritchie Kotzen (like what I've heard though and enjoy The Winery Dogs), but love the guitar and one came up the other day.
Really nice fat neck (kind of like the Baja tele I have) and the maple neck looks excellent.

Will post some pics of my other guitars when I get the chance - loving seeing everyone's collection.

Sold an old HM strat I'd had for years thr other day and so ended up getting this bad boy;
View attachment 178429
View attachment 178431View attachment 178430
Not a massive fan of Ritchie Kotzen (like what I've heard though and enjoy The Winery Dogs), but love the guitar and one came up the other day.
Really nice fat neck (kind of like the Baja tele I have) and the maple neck looks excellent.

Will post some pics of my other guitars when I get the chance - loving seeing everyone's collection.
I worked on Mr Kotzen’s telecaster. Was worn to hell already. He is a great guy and awesome player.

I worked on Mr Kotzen’s telecaster. Was worn to hell already. He is a great guy and awesome player.
Really?; that's awesome! Really nice guitar - need to lower the action a bit on mine, but it's a great instrument - might move on my Baja now, but need to do some A/B tests before making a decision.

Thought I'd revisit this thread, as a mate was over at the weekend and filmed me showing him my Fractal unit.
Playing isn't great; that's what can happens when someone just says "play something!" And you haven't been practicing properly (not just noodling without purpose every day!... vibrato is especially shoddy so apologies) - hangover also doesn't help.

Can't really see it well due to poor lighting, but I playing my 2006 (?) Goldtop - think it has Burstbuckers in it (prefer those to the '57 classics which were in Signature T gold top I used to own)

Attachments

• 20210226_170344.jpg
    20210226_170344.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210226_170339.jpg
    20210226_170339.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210226_170336.jpg
    20210226_170336.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 5
Sounds great @Den - aka Wolfgang

Dont mind fractals for recording but live I prefer a real valve amp.

My back does not agree with this quote :)
Thanks man 👍🏻 Yeah, can't beat a nice valve amp for all scenarios if possible.
If I could drive, I reckon I'd still own an amp (still feel a bit sad about selling my Zilla Fatboy 2x12 speaker cab a few years back - elephant(?) Shell telex and large check grill cloth - V30 and Cream back speakers:)

I’m after a bit of advice please chaps.

I’m an improving guitar player, maybe around intermediate level but would like to get a better guitar now I’m a bit more experienced.

I have an epiphone Les Paul copy from the 90s that I’ve had since 2000 or so and it’s serviced by an excellent local luthier. It’s just the basic model but it plays really nicely and I can get a decent tone out of it through my Blackstar amp.

I really like the feel of a Les Paul on the neck and much prefer them to a Strat. I don’t have a lot of experience of other brands though so would like to get some opinions of where to go.

So I guess I’m looking for advice on brands and also whether I should look for a used vintage model or something new.

Budget is between £1k - £3k I guess, preferably the lower end!

I play mainly blues, rock and a bit of metal.

Thanks in advance!

I’m after a bit of advice please chaps.

I’m an improving guitar player, maybe around intermediate level but would like to get a better guitar now I’m a bit more experienced.

I have an epiphone Les Paul copy from the 90s that I’ve had since 2000 or so and it’s serviced by an excellent local luthier. It’s just the basic model but it plays really nicely and I can get a decent tone out of it through my Blackstar amp.

I really like the feel of a Les Paul on the neck and much prefer them to a Strat. I don’t have a lot of experience of other brands though so would like to get some opinions of where to go.

So I guess I’m looking for advice on brands and also whether I should look for a used vintage model or something new.

Budget is between £1k - £3k I guess, preferably the lower end!

I play mainly blues, rock and a bit of metal.

Thanks in advance!
I'd recommend finding a nice used Gibson Les Paul (maybe avoid the years when they were heavily weight relived or had robot tuners - can't go wrong with a 90s one if thr frets still have life un them, or a more recent one, as apparently current gibsons are meant to be great).
Alternatively, maybe check out Eastman guitars; apparently their Les Paul type guitars are great and are a bit more affordable compared to a gibson.

Last gibson I got last year in a trade deal was this Les Paul custom (made in 2000), which has aged hardware and bare knuckle riff raff pickups fitted:
20230127_101955.jpg

@Pooman2084

Get a USA strat with a humbucker in the bridge.

Known as HSS strats.

Or the Charvel so-cal range if you want something with a floyd rose.

The charvels have a 5 posiition switch which still gets you nice clean tones.

I would buy this for £600
Get your tech to set it up for what - another £50.

You will have to spend £1K on a fender or £600 on a charvel made by fender.....

The charvel also has great humbuckers.

SORRY - READ WRONG. SAID YOU PREFER LES PAULS.

In that case - look for a Japanese OLD Fernandes, Tokai or Burny. If it is not japanese - do not buy.

Les Paul Customs now are £2.5K upwards @Den - aka Wolfgang

As your epiphone plays really nice as you say, you could also consider just getting the pickups upgraded? (Maybe with Gibson burstbuckers, or some Seymore Duncans etc)

If you do get another guitar, I'd suggest just trying a bunch out if you can (wouldn't recommend buying online without playing first if 2nd hand) - also worth trying some strat type guitars as Pickholder said; you might really connect with something.
Personally, although Les Paul's are my faves I'd say, I do like having other stuff like a telecaster and strats (HSS are a good idea if you like rock - unless you love the treblely sound of a strats bridge pickup)

Well - not true when buying on ebay @Den - aka Wolfgang - you can return it simply if you 'dont like the colour' and PayPal will refund you.

I do as a rule agree with you about trying some out.

Now I have told PMT to 'pee off' as I no longer have premises there, I have used Richtone quite a bit. They give all guitars a set up, including 2nd hand ones. The accept returns as everyone has to with the 'distance selling act'.

You have more rights buying online than in a shop.

I have also seen people spend lots of cash on epiphones, changing pickups - wiring - pots - machine heads - nut - bridge - stop tail. You know what - they still buy a Gibson. It is easy to throw £500 on bits. Less luthier charges.

These are good for the money.

Gibson Les Paul faded - should cost £800-1K used.

Or maybe a Gibson LES PAUL BFG. The BFGs are 'barely finished guitar' - these sell £800-1200. Some idiots are asking £2K on ebay but they sell for much less.

A tribute with humbuckers here :

Prob best to juat go put and play a bunch of gibson les paul standards though; a used one likely around £1,300/£1,400?

P90s BUZZ LIKE A MUTHA @Den - aka Wolfgang
I like them in the neck of a BFG for clean sound.....
Yeah they can buzz a bit and feedback like mofos if you aren't carefull:) - I used to just make sure my vol was down or dirty pedal off when not playing though.
Would love a good top with p90s in some day (had an epiphone '56 reissue a while back which I shouldn't have got rid of - I prob mentioned that before he he)

A tribute with lroper humbuckers here :

Prob best to juat go put and play a bunch of gibson les paul standards though; a used one likely around £1,300/£1,400?

Erm, when was the last time you bought a Les Paul ?

Pinflation for guitars.

Looking £1650 for a standard.

Customs (White) can go for £3K on some days.

Gone crazy

You are right, but you can find the odd standard for around £1,450 (chip in headstock , but looks nice overall )

Yeah - you can get a bargain from a muzo who needs to pay his rent.

Have zero comeback with gumtree - at least a shop or ebay (paid with PayPal) you have.

Seen a lot of people who have bought les pauls with broken necks painted over as well. Hard to spot (UV light is great to see the different paint). I would buy a LP with a repaired neck, as long as I knew about it and was 30% cheaper. The glue is stronger than the wood these days.

Yeah - you can get a bargain from a muzo who needs to pay his rent.

Have zero comeback with gumtree - at least a shop or ebay (paid with PayPal) you have.

Seen a lot of people who have bought les pauls with broken necks painted over as well. Hard to spot (UV light is great to see the different paint). I would buy a LP with a repaired neck, as long as I knew about it and was 30% cheaper. The glue is stronger than the wood these days.
Agreed- made the naive mistake of taking a guitar in to a shop in Denmark Street the other day and expecting a fair trade (just took my guitar home with me in the end)
They had a Les Paul custom in the window which they admitted had a badly done neck repair unfortunately sale for nearly £4k 🤣 because it was from 1995. (Admittedly they did say they were selling for a customer - I said they were wasting their time)

Then they said they had a nice 2001 LPC in the basement and said they'd probably put up for £4k.... I said might as well buy a nee one for £4.5k. I guess they have to pay huge rent there though and are counting on tourists saying they bought a guitar from Denmark Street.
Customs are mental prices now though; I could've sworn about 10 years ago they were going for about £2k 2nd hand, which is why I bought a Gibson zakk wylde LPC for less than that after some hard haggling (which years later I sold for a profit and paid for a good chunk of my first pin :)

Back
Top Bottom