What's new

GUITARISTS

My Laney LC15-110 had a crackling Volume pot, removed it and gave a cleaning inside.Also reflowed this area.

The crackling has disappeared, however the Volume knob is still flakey as hell. The lightest of touches can completely knock the volume off or raise it up ridiculously.

Can this be as simple as a valve change out or something I’ve missed when I cleaned the pot?

Thanks

My Laney LC15-110 had a crackling Volume pot, removed it and gave a cleaning inside.Also reflowed this area.

The crackling has disappeared, however the Volume knob is still flakey as hell. The lightest of touches can completely knock the volume off or raise it up ridiculously.

Can this be as simple as a valve change out or something I’ve missed when I cleaned the pot?

Thanks
Discharge the caps first. But your pot will need replacing. Also the LC15 is still a powerful amp, 15 watts valve/tube power is equivalent to 50 watts transistor amp. The volume pots are always all or nothing at low volume level. You could put a volume pedal in the effect loop. Or put a boss GE-7 pedal in the effect loop and use the output slider as a master volume.

Discharge the caps first. But your pot will need replacing. Also the LC15 is still a powerful amp, 15 watts valve/tube power is equivalent to 50 watts transistor amp. The volume pots are always all or nothing at low volume level. You could put a volume pedal in the effect loop. Or put a boss GE-7 pedal in the effect loop and use the output slider as a master volume.

Will do cheers :thumbs: I've had the amp for over a decade as it's a little monster with epic tone but this issue has gradually become more annoying recently.
I'm used to the all or nothing low volume level finickity issue's with valve amps, however this problem can knock the volume out totally when trying to increase clearly from 2-3 on the dial.

Guitarist I wish. Played trumpet/cornet to a very high level up until my late teens, so can read music. However playing the guitar is beyond me..Bought this 20 years ago. Tried playing for a few weeks and gave up!

Attachments

• 1EFAD20F-E508-46E3-AD7A-BE9F2E84FF0E.jpeg
    1EFAD20F-E508-46E3-AD7A-BE9F2E84FF0E.jpeg
    111.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 0A3E21CE-40A3-45B4-966D-65719FEF5B94.jpeg
    0A3E21CE-40A3-45B4-966D-65719FEF5B94.jpeg
    173.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Thanks
Not knowledgeable about amps atl really, but by the sounds of it that's not a valve issue; the pot might need replacing (and or a capacitor if there's one in the signal chain?) - apologies in advance if that's not much help.
I only own one amp these days, as have gone the fractal route, I have an issue with that where the volume can keep dropping in level then back up again at random; apparently that's an issue with the input jack.

Guitarist I wish. Played trumpet/cornet to a very high level up until my late teens, so can read music. However playing the guitar is beyond me..Bought this 20 years ago. Tried playing for a few weeks and gave up!
That looks lovely-is it a real one?
P.s I think your trips rod cover is on upside down:)

I'm a jack of all trades, master of none. I've got a Casio piano, Squire Classic Vibes 50s Telecaster and an Epiphone AJ-45ME. All low end stuff I know but they still sound and play well to my ears.

I've also dabbled in drums but they were electronic ones. It was a good introduction but sold them a few years ago as hitting rubber pads just wasn't cutting it for me. I'm looking at getting a compact acoustic kit soon.
IMG_20220722_235310.jpgIMG_20220722_235509.jpgIMG_20220722_235336.jpg

Unfortunately I don't play anymore,
But in the loft I have an ESP Horizon with Floyd Rose with Seymour duncans. A LTD ex-400 In black with EMD 60(?) and 81(?) and a epiphone electro acoustic (I forget which)

Going off memory here 😆

Lost the love and never truly had the discipline to stick at guitar. Still never considered selling them though... But sometimes I feel they'd be happier being played.

Went back to 2010 on Facebook to find these, must have been the day I brought the Horizon home😆
What a ridiculous picture of me🤦🏻‍♂️ I was a student at the time , it feels like a different lifetime 😓

FB_IMG_1658564654480.jpgFB_IMG_1658564663843.jpgFB_IMG_1658564680980.jpgFB_IMG_1658564698868.jpg

Had to Google ‘trips rod cover’ and it is upside down compared with other models. I thought it was a real one when I bought it. Anything else I should look for?
Apologies; typo- u meant to right Truss Rod cover - its the thing gold piece of metal with 2 screws and some wri8ng etched on it. Can easily be pur the right way on.

No JCM800 or are you a non master vol fan?
My main amp at the moment is a DSL50 I have modified.
Also modified Scott Gorhams old Marshall, worked on John Sykes too. My favourite modded amp is Ginger's amp from the Wildhearts. Done a load more over the years.
No don’t like the master volumes.. owned a 2204 but couldn’t get on with it

Wow Scott Gorhams amp!! What a pleasure that must have been

My Marshall collection 😄
That’s a sight of beauty right there. I hope you an attenuator or you must have some very tolerant neighbours 😂😂

I had a jcm800 1987 back in the day. Sold it for about £400 because I was a daft kid and looked to get another lately and they’re £1.3k plus these days. Oops

No don’t like the master volumes.. owned a 2204 but couldn’t get on with it

Wow Scott Gorhams amp!! What a pleasure that must have been
Scott has been a pal for over 20 odd years, and at one time I used to spend a lot of time with him - talking guitars and eating chinese food. Lovely man. One day at his house Gary Moore knocked on the front door - that was an interesting day. Oh and another day I booked a visit when he was due to play golf so I offered to caddy. The other two players - Alice Cooper and Donny Osmond. Alice Cooper was a lovely man but Donnt Osmond was a stropy unt.
That’s a sight of beauty right there. I hope you an attenuator or you must have some very tolerant neighbours 😂😂

I had a jcm800 1987 back in the day. Sold it for about £400 because I was a daft kid and looked to get another lately and they’re £1.3k plus these days. Oops
I would suggest JCM800s are more like £1800 in 2022 ! Shocking. Best Marshall I ever owned was a Super Bass 100 I modded. Every old Marshall sounds different.

Back
Top Bottom