What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GUITARISTS

Ok lads, I’ve been down a deep deep rabbit hole the last few days, but am coming up for air.

I’ve not been able to go to a store to try any yet as there aren’t any guitar shops near me anymore and I’ve been busy at home, but I’ve looked at a lot online.

I initially set on a used custom shop, but am worried about taking a punt on eBay or Reverb in case it isn’t right. Also, I’m not sure I could tell anyway with little experience of them.

I’ve looked at Tokai guitars and they seem great value and I nearly picked one up but I’m bought in to the Gibson brand I think and, rightly or wrongly, think I’d enjoy owning a genuine one more.

So I’m caught between a new Standard at £2k or so

Or for a bit more:

or a used custom like this for another grand or so:

Or even this, but then I get lost in all the differences between models and years.

I’m quite drawn towards an SG but haven’t played on before and think I like the look of the Les Paul more.

Argh, too many options!

I would go for an R8 if you’re fancying a nice gibson.. great guitars and you won’t lose much if at all on resale if you buy used.. Aim to be around the 3k mark.. I’ve just sold this one

Attachments

• 640DF2F5-FEE9-448A-89B4-DDFA1F00E42E.jpeg
    640DF2F5-FEE9-448A-89B4-DDFA1F00E42E.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 3
  • FA1DED06-03B2-4E7C-B783-393B5A95C4C9.jpeg
    FA1DED06-03B2-4E7C-B783-393B5A95C4C9.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Ok lads, I’ve been down a deep deep rabbit hole the last few days, but am coming up for air.

I’ve not been able to go to a store to try any yet as there aren’t any guitar shops near me anymore and I’ve been busy at home, but I’ve looked at a lot online.

I initially set on a used custom shop, but am worried about taking a punt on eBay or Reverb in case it isn’t right. Also, I’m not sure I could tell anyway with little experience of them.

I’ve looked at Tokai guitars and they seem great value and I nearly picked one up but I’m bought in to the Gibson brand I think and, rightly or wrongly, think I’d enjoy owning a genuine one more.

So I’m caught between a new Standard at £2k or so

Or for a bit more:

or a used custom like this for another grand or so:

Or even this, but then I get lost in all the differences between models and years.

I’m quite drawn towards an SG but haven’t played on before and think I like the look of the Les Paul more.

Argh, too many options!
Initial thoughts; avoid the Custom light - doesn't even have an ebony fretboard like a prope custom should and also they are I belive thinner bodies etc. I'd imagine harder to sell on if you ever wanted a change too.

The Slash models are nice and personally I like the slash seymore duncan pickups (have a set in one of my 'pauls*), but you probably worth checking the price difference compared to normal standards and see if the price difference is worth it for you.
*if I could only have one les paul, I personally would have one with Burstbuckers,or the 490R/498T. Was pleasantly surprised by the burstbuckers; nice versatile pickup and sound great with dirty sounds (miss my goldtop which had them in)

Below post mentioned an R8, which is a good shout and should hold value well. If you like a goldtop, the R7(?) Are good.
I'd suggest just avoiding les pauls with extreme weight relief or where they'd added a comfort cut on the back or robot tuners.
Also,pickup wise I didn't like another gold top I had "signature T" which had '57 classic pickups in; just sounded very plain to me (could've been the guitar mind)

Re; Tokai - never owned one, but I understand that certain years are good gibson clones (some with fret nibs too?)

I did have a Greco lpc once which was solid, but moved it on in my pursuit of a gibson.

This thread has been really helpful, I really appreciate the input chaps.

I’m trying to get an appointment at a guitar shop in Bognor as they have a dozen or so vintage LPs that I can try and hopefully come away with one, or at least a better idea of what I want.

Enjoy :) - really exciting times looking for a new guitar.
When you play one that's the right for you, you'll know and won't want to put it down 👍
(Then you have to hide your enthusiasm and haggle:)

Are you kidding - appointments for a guitar shop! in todays climate.....

Do not let your heart run away with some guitars. I seriously think a lot are over priced.

I used to go on a forum called 'thefretboard' which I believe is UK based.

I blew up and had a strop and called the guy who ran the site a clucking something, I know it is not like me.

But they do have classified.

See if anyone is local.

I am off to Richtone tomorrow in Sheffield to collect my new amp. I will see what they have.

Just as a point of reference. If you mail order something, they have to accept it back if you do not like it. Distance selling act. You have 14 days and can ask for a FULL REFUND.

Initial thoughts; avoid the Custom light - doesn't even have an ebony fretboard like a prope custom should and also they are I belive thinner bodies etc. I'd imagine harder to sell on if you ever wanted a change too.

The Slash models are nice and personally I like the slash seymore duncan pickups (have a set in one of my 'pauls*), but you probably worth checking the price difference compared to normal standards and see if the price difference is worth it for you.
*if I could only have one les paul, I personally would have one with Burstbuckers,or the 490R/498T. Was pleasantly surprised by the burstbuckers; nice versatile pickup and sound great with dirty sounds (miss my goldtop which had them in)

Below post mentioned an R8, which is a good shout and should hold value well. If you like a goldtop, the R7(?) Are good.
I'd suggest just avoiding les pauls with extreme weight relief or where they'd added a comfort cut on the back or robot tuners.
Also,pickup wise I didn't like another gold top I had "signature T" which had '57 classic pickups in; just sounded very plain to me (could've been the guitar mind)

Re; Tokai - never owned one, but I understand that certain years are good gibson clones (some with fret nibs too?)

I did have a Greco lpc once which was solid, but moved it on in my pursuit of a gibson.
Agree burstbuckers are great pickups and only come in the custom shop stuff I believe

The R8 sounded awesome through a Marshall superlead with no pedals. Went from clean to mean

Agree burstbuckers are great pickups and only come in the custom shop stuff I believe

The R8 sounded awesome through a Marshall superlead with no pedals. Went from clean to mean
I best that R8 did sound great :)

Re; bustbuckers I believe they come in moat Les Paul standards these days (they came as standard in the 2006 gold top standard I had too).
Good thing is, I don't think they are super expensive (likely cheaper than say Bare Knuckles, although makes sense as they the mass produced compared to BKs)

I best that R8 did sound great :)

Re; bustbuckers I believe they come in moat Les Paul standards these days (they came as standard in the 2006 gold top standard I had too).
Good thing is, I don't think they are super expensive (likely cheaper than say Bare Knuckles, although makes sense as they the mass produced compared to BKs)
Ah cool didn’t know that, yep sure did but the upper fret access always felt harder than it needed to be.. gone with the new steve vai PIA. Great guitar and sounds just as good

Here’s my Marshall collection from a few years ago too and an Angus Young wood burner I had made

Attachments

• F5635E12-8FDB-41B0-8AE3-D1CC9BC5BF4A.jpeg
    F5635E12-8FDB-41B0-8AE3-D1CC9BC5BF4A.jpeg
    116.1 KB · Views: 10
  • A0D80516-60EE-43A1-97C2-1F894C8619E8.jpeg
    A0D80516-60EE-43A1-97C2-1F894C8619E8.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DD0388B9-EB97-4EFD-B117-A962B3E612E0.jpeg
    DD0388B9-EB97-4EFD-B117-A962B3E612E0.jpeg
    136.9 KB · Views: 10
Wah wah wee wah! Lovely guitar and rig - see you are rocking the Guvnor pedal:) - Gary Moore's favoured pedal I believe 👍
Yea he used it to record the still got the blues album I believe.. that’s not reason for owning it tho my dad bought it for me as a kid with a matamp and guitar. Sounds great with a strat

I finally got to tour a few guitar shops today. Exciting times!

I checked out an ‘14 R8 an ‘08 r9 and a 98 Standard at a small dealer.

The Standard was a really nice guitar that played well, but didn’t sound anywhere as good as the two Custom Shops.

I struggled with the thickness of the r8’s neck. Since my accident it’s hard for me to get my fingers down cleanly anyway and it was just quick tricky to play.

The r9 sounded amazing and the neck was much more comfortable for me. It was virtually spotless and looked pretty much new. The only downside was the price. He wants £4900 for it. It has a lovely top though so I can see some value in it.

I did also try a PRS custom 24 30th anniversary 10 too which I found incredibly easy to play. It was an amazing guitar. It was 3k though, and for that money my heart is set on a Gibson.

I then stopped by Andertons on my way home to try a new Standard and a modern Custom. I must say the Standard was very disappointing, the pickups were nowhere near as nice as on the older guitars and there was buzz all over the fretboard. Likewise with the Custom Danish Pete. It looked lovely but the action was much too high and again, the pickups didn’t have the same warmth as the older ones.

I’m just digesting all the above, but it’s pretty clear I need the thinner neck that 59 gives and going used will give me better value and a nicer instrument.

Any comments on the r9 before I take the plunge? Anything I should look out for?

Anyway, this is the one i played today

I finally got to tour a few guitar shops today. Exciting times!

I checked out an ‘14 R8 an ‘08 r9 and a 98 Standard at a small dealer.

The Standard was a really nice guitar that played well, but didn’t sound anywhere as good as the two Custom Shops.

I struggled with the thickness of the r8’s neck. Since my accident it’s hard for me to get my fingers down cleanly anyway and it was just quick tricky to play.

The r9 sounded amazing and the neck was much more comfortable for me. It was virtually spotless and looked pretty much new. The only downside was the price. He wants £4900 for it. It has a lovely top though so I can see some value in it.

I did also try a PRS custom 24 30th anniversary 10 too which I found incredibly easy to play. It was an amazing guitar. It was 3k though, and for that money my heart is set on a Gibson.

I then stopped by Andertons on my way home to try a new Standard and a modern Custom. I must say the Standard was very disappointing, the pickups were nowhere near as nice as on the older guitars and there was buzz all over the fretboard. Likewise with the Custom Danish Pete. It looked lovely but the action was much too high and again, the pickups didn’t have the same warmth as the older ones.

I’m just digesting all the above, but it’s pretty clear I need the thinner neck that 59 gives and going used will give me better value and a nicer instrument.

Any comments on the r9 before I take the plunge? Anything I should look out for?

Anyway, this is the one i played today

Okay here goes.

Having played 3 REAL 1959 les pauls - they are all different.

To me it is all down to the neck and the 'zen'
I just know in seconds. I can just put my hand around the neck and go yes/no

Rememeber - do not test a guitar plugged in. Make sure it rings lovely. If salesman blames old strings - get him to restring it - it is a lot of cash and strings cost dealers £4 a set.

If you honestly think the '59 is the best guitat you played - then get it. If you dont then keep looking.

I think if you are honestly that in love with the 59 you wouldnt be asking us.

I would only check that no solder is disturbed in the control cavities (ie pickups swapped) and no fractures on the neck. If you have a UV light then that shows up guitars that have had paintwork touched up, but looking at the pics it looks kosher to me.

If you honestly think the '59 is the best guitat you played - then get it. If you dont then keep looking.

I think if you are honestly that in love with the 59 you wouldnt be asking us.
That’s a really good point, thanks @Pick Holder. Food for thought.

I guess reason for the hesitation is that it was more than I was hoping to pay and that the r9 hadn’t really been on my radar. Also, this is my first foray into big boy guitars and I’m flying pretty blind, having nothing to compare to. I guess I’m looking for some reassurance, but ultimately it is a personal choice of what works for me.

I’m used to a thin neck, so found them all a little awkward to be honest. I’ve played pretty much the same guitar for 30 years and I don’t know if I could recognise the ‘zen’!

I was expecting to like the new models, so that really surprised me that they played pretty crappy. I suppose they haven’t been setup properly yet.

I think I need to take a few days to chew it over. I will say the guy was excellent and put me under no pressure to buy. He gave up a few hours for me and even showed me other sellers online who might have something suitable.

You just know with guitars.

I do not like any newly made guitars of probably the last decade.
The Nitro cellulose used on guitars today is not the same as a few years ago - just like playfields clear coating..... It is all water based now and doesnt kill flowers on contact like the old stuff.
Other guitars like epiphone/ibanez/schecter look like boiled sweets with horrid thick paint on them. This really does deaden the tone.
Alot of modern guitars have high output pickups. The R9s have old PAF style ones, much lower output and in my opinion - better sounding.

Sounds corny but you can’t put a price on tone and what feels right. Like with a pinball cost is relevant you make or lose a little bit on resale but it’s all about the enjoyment value. If the 59 neck feels right then go for it. I’ve become a big fan of custom shop Stratocasters I’ve been through the Les Paul phase and plugged straight into a Marshall there is no better sound but you eventually develop as a player and want a bit more

Sounds corny but you can’t put a price on tone and what feels right. Like with a pinball cost is relevant you make or lose a little bit on resale but it’s all about the enjoyment value. If the 59 neck feels right then go for it. I’ve become a big fan of custom shop Stratocasters I’ve been through the Les Paul phase and plugged straight into a Marshall there is no better sound but you eventually develop as a player and want a bit more

Dunno mate, I have probably played more guitars than anyone in this forum. Was a pro guitar tech for many years.

I have worked on awful custom shop strats and amazing £200 squiers.

All your tone is in your hands. We all sound the same to audience members if we are playing a £200 guitar or a £5000 guitar.

I played one of Jeff Becks strats thru his rig - I sound like me.

I played Bryan Adams strat thru his rig - I sound like me (shyte).

I played Jimmy Pages no2 Les Paul - I sound like me.

I played Scott Gorhams guitars thru his rig - I sound like me.

Shall I continue name dropping.....

Dunno mate, I have probably played more guitars than anyone in this forum. Was a pro guitar tech for many years.

I have worked on awful custom shop strats and amazing £200 squiers.

All your tone is in your hands. We all sound the same to audience members if we are playing a £200 guitar or a £5000 guitar.

I played one of Jeff Becks strats thru his rig - I sound like me.

I played Bryan Adams strat thru his rig - I sound like me (shyte).

I played Jimmy Pages no2 Les Paul - I sound like me.

I played Scott Gorhams guitars thru his rig - I sound like me.

Shall I continue name dropping.....
So you’re saying a strat sounds like a Les Paul? Not sure I get your point to be honest other than you’ve played a few flash guitars. If the guitar doesn’t feel right you’ll never enjoy it and no matter how good your £200 squier was you’re not gonna get custom shop money for it. You said previously new guitars don’t sound like old guitars but now you’re saying they all sound the same? All I’m saying to @Pooman2084 is if he’s looking to invest in a nice guitar he’s more likely to get his money back on a nice R9 than a Les Paul standard which there are thousands to choose from

Last edited:
I’ve just got a small 5w Blackstar amp atm.

Any recommendations for a cheap ish Marshall stack setup? Would prefer to spend £600 or under? Preferably something with tubes but that might be pushing it.

I’ve just got a small 5w Blackstar amp atm.

Any recommendations for a cheap ish Marshall stack setup? Would prefer to spend £600 or under? Preferably something with tubes but that might be pushing it.
A used studio vintage or studio classic would be my choice in that price range but you will need an attenuator to enjoy it bud. The bugera is a fairly cheap one which I would trust with 20 watt amps but nothing larger..as you can see I like my Marshall’s 😇 Alternatively the orange rocker is a great little amp and has built in attenuation

Attachments

• A477DCDC-8E2B-490D-A174-4FB717DF1346.jpeg
    A477DCDC-8E2B-490D-A174-4FB717DF1346.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 12
  • E24AF8A3-63AC-4C1C-A7EF-382CFEBFF371.jpeg
    E24AF8A3-63AC-4C1C-A7EF-382CFEBFF371.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 11
So you’re saying a strat sounds like a Les Paul? Not sure I get your point to be honest other than you’ve played a few flash guitars. If the guitar doesn’t feel right you’ll never enjoy it and no matter how good your £200 squier was you’re not gonna get custom shop money for it. You said previously new guitars don’t sound like old guitars but now you’re saying they all sound the same? All I’m saying to @Pooman2084 is if he’s looking to invest in a nice guitar he’s more likely to get his money back on a nice R9 than a Les Paul standard which there are thousands to choose from
I was saying NEW guitars have paint on them that sucks out the tone. Modern clear coats are awful for it.
Not once did I say Strats are better than Les Pauls......
I have played some dogs that cost thousands and amazing guitars that cost a hell of a lot less.
I also said the tone is in your hands. Do an experiment. Set up your gear and then ask another guitarist to play thru that same rig with your guitar. It wont sound like you.
Just done a show tonight. Played a £7000 guitar for half the set. Then a bitsacaster worth probably £400 for the second half. The audience member wouldnt tell any variation of the guitar sound.
If you really thing playing a £5K guitar makes you sound great - then thats absolutely fine. I know people who have PRS dragon guitars that go for the price of two bond 60th's and they are amazing looking guitars with incredible workmanship. But they do not sound 60 times better than a £1000 guitar?
Have owned two 59 re-issues and I made a bit of money on each one. But as you said - you wont make money on a cheap guitar.
If you want to make money on a '59 reissue then do not play it. As every mark will knock money off its value.
Gibsons go up twice a year with their trade price. If I wanted to buy one of these guitars now I would be looking at used ideally. You initially loose a percentage as soon as you walk out of the shop. Over time it can rise in value.
The best guitars to buy in the gibson range are the limited run signature models.
When buying a guitar if I need to get people to convince me it is the one to buy then it clearly is not the guitar for me.
You just know when you pick up something that is right for you.

A used studio vintage or studio classic would be my choice in that price range but you will need an attenuator to enjoy it bud. The bugera is a fairly cheap one which I would trust with 20 watt amps but nothing larger..as you can see I like my Marshall’s 😇 Alternatively the orange rocker is a great little amp and has built in attenuation
@Pooman2084 I could sell you a Marshall DSL50 head for £300 if you want - british made one. Get a 2 x 12. The harley benton one with vintage 30s is not bad and cheaper than what the speakers cost to buy.
The clean channel with the crunch button in has that JCM800 sound.
Been my spare for 5 years and nowadays I am using a flyrig tech 21 pedal as a spare.
Not a fan of Blackstars but I do like the 5 watts, just not keen on the bigger ones.
Can not beat a good marshall.

I was saying NEW guitars have paint on them that sucks out the tone. Modern clear coats are awful for it.
Not once did I say Strats are better than Les Pauls......
I have played some dogs that cost thousands and amazing guitars that cost a hell of a lot less.
I also said the tone is in your hands. Do an experiment. Set up your gear and then ask another guitarist to play thru that same rig with your guitar. It wont sound like you.
Just done a show tonight. Played a £7000 guitar for half the set. Then a bitsacaster worth probably £400 for the second half. The audience member wouldnt tell any variation of the guitar sound.
If you really thing playing a £5K guitar makes you sound great - then thats absolutely fine. I know people who have PRS dragon guitars that go for the price of two bond 60th's and they are amazing looking guitars with incredible workmanship. But they do not sound 60 times better than a £1000 guitar?
Have owned two 59 re-issues and I made a bit of money on each one. But as you said - you wont make money on a cheap guitar.
If you want to make money on a '59 reissue then do not play it. As every mark will knock money off its value.
Gibsons go up twice a year with their trade price. If I wanted to buy one of these guitars now I would be looking at used ideally. You initially loose a percentage as soon as you walk out of the shop. Over time it can rise in value.
The best guitars to buy in the gibson range are the limited run signature models.
When buying a guitar if I need to get people to convince me it is the one to buy then it clearly is not the guitar for me.
You just know when you pick up something that is right for you.
Completely agree you just know straight away. Didn’t mean strat sounds better just different. I did order a 64 sg custom and compared to my standard I bought new in 2011 it sounded great with the t top humbuckers but the quality was shocking so you’re not always guaranteed a good one by paying more. But I do prefer the pickups in R8/R9 and the attention to detail to make them period correct. When I compared in guitar shop to a standard when I bought mine they sounded different/more articulate to me which is why I like the fender custom shops they use nitro paint and the pickups are much better. I recently got this one which has humbucker in bridge and sounds great

Attachments

• 6CEB7966-0A9C-4908-928A-E8081D94CF6E.jpeg
    6CEB7966-0A9C-4908-928A-E8081D94CF6E.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 7
Back
Top Bottom