What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foo Fighters Announced

Finally got to play Foo Premium thanks to @Pablo-UK and really enjoyed it albeit ultra fast beyond my reflexes can cope with. We dropped on latest code and 1st impressions its like a bastard offspring with the flow of GZ and the gameplay of DP so nothing really there not to like.

Things I really liked a lot.
Not really a big fan but I can take or leave the music of Foo Fighters but have to admit it did work well and fit in well with a pinball.
The pop up post saver that I never seemed to get tired of.
The small raised PF that put me in mind of WOZ but super fast managing only 2 loops at most.
The GZ’esk way the ball comes from where you never expect it too is cool
The Bash toy dude and the way he throws the ball around in the pit below him
The kicker above the right slingshot is a great touch too And activates when you least expect it too.
Loved the Art on PF, Cab and LCD display Animations.

In fact I was surprised at how packed it looked and personally I could never go pro after playing Pauls premium and really looking forward to see how the code evolves and how the expression lights will look if Paul manages to get them.

Things that annoyed me
The brutal speed of the ball at times making it almost impossible to react on both upper flippers but this may be down to my reactions. (Think upper flipper loop on TMNT but harder)
The steep right ramp gave quite a few SDTM rejects but this maybe down to the quick setup of the table as Paul hadn’t played around with angles and it was slightly running Right to Left.
The lockbar had nasty spot weld dimples right across it which don’t effect the gameplay but at 12k is there really an excuse and would they disappear on a well deserved powder coat!
Finally it didn't annoy me but the captive ball loop must have been an after thought to fill out the pro as seemed a bit meh!

Would I buy one?
Simple answer NO but this is down to a couple of things.
The fact Paul is happy to swap around with one of my pins once the honeymoon over and I still think GZ is the better pin bearing in mind my LE cost about the same as Pauls Premium! Crazy times for NIB.

However thats said had Paul not bought Foo then I would probably have held on for a 2nd owner one some point down the line But not at 12k

Oh also chucked on some of my strengthened ramp protectors which also added a little pop.

IMG_0956.jpeg

Well I was going to go with this 2 tone iridescent finish but now the machines here I'm not so sure. There is some blue in the artwork, and purple but a lot of red!

View attachment 223213
Cheers Kev

Just got mine and iam thinking Yellow with silver sparkle but the T moulding would have to be changed i guess.

myself and @Colywobbles were discussing this earlier today but if its going to be red it would have to be a Deadpool type yellow / gold flec.

Lets see what others think as we get more delivered, @CHRIS B PINBALLS usually has a knack to selecting the right colour!

Last edited:
I had the phone call yesterday to say my Premium was being delivered this afternoon... Cant wait! I've played the Pro already and loved it, so excited to play the Premium version now.

Thinking about it, I don't think I've played both a Pro, and Premium version of any other Stern Pins to compare. Its always been just one or the other

Reactions: Jib
Can you do the same as WOZ where you hold the flipper up as it comes around for an easy 2nd loop, then keep repeating?
There’s a lot more too it as it has a diverter to let you hit a target and also a center tunnel with spinner or did I imagine that.
Either way it’s better thought out that WOZand a dam sight harder as I could loop WOZ several times to make the mode easily but not so much on Foo plus I have no idea what the outcome was as didn’t understand the code too much.

Things that annoyed me
The brutal speed of the ball at times
The steep right ramp gave quite a few SDTM

I'm finding it tough for both of those reasons, although I'm fine with the upper flipper which I have dialed in.

I'm just not an accurate enough shooter to be able to enjoy the game frequently and I'm not surprised to see two come up for sale so quickly.

The game has so much going for it, but requires a really decent skill level. It's one good game in 20 for me and I switch it off long before that.

Deadflip is clearly a really good player as is Elwin but I think I'm better suited to games designed by mere mortals 😂.

That being said I got my highest ever score yesterday of 600m + and it was fantastic. Alas I'm back to less than 50m today and getting quite frustrated.

For what it's worth I think you probably made the right decision with the TNA mate, but Foo Fighters is a bloody awesome game which half decent players will really enjoy.

I'm finding it tough for both of those reasons, although I'm fine with the upper flipper which I have dialed in.

I'm just not an accurate enough shooter to be able to enjoy the game frequently and I'm not surprised to see two come up for sale so quickly.

The game has so much going for it, but requires a really decent skill level. It's one good game in 20 for me and I switch it off long before that.

Deadflip is clearly a really good player as is Elwin but I think I'm better suited to games designed by mere mortals 😂.

That being said I got my highest ever score yesterday of 600m + and it was fantastic. Alas I'm back to less than 50m today and getting quite frustrated.

For what it's worth I think you probably made the right decision with the TNA mate, but Foo Fighters is a bloody awesome game which half decent players will really enjoy.
All my games are set to the same pitch except FF. It was too fast to enjoy often and I like TMNT! I lowered the pitch a bit and started enjoying it much more. Also my outlane posts are at the bottom and have rubbers on

My machine hard crashed on me today. I selected my profile from home team and pressed start. The music kicked in and the flippers were live but the screen remained on the home team select screen. After a few seconds it re-booted. I'm on the latest code ( 0.95 ). Anyone else experienced any crash bugs?

Hi Fran, I have put a rubber on the right outlane for the very reason you suggested.

I still feel like a novice rodeo rider on a wild bull when I'm playing it though. 😂

It is a good bit of kit, no doubt about it . . . . but I won't be rushing to get the armour airbrushed 😂

All my games are set to the same pitch except FF. It was too fast to enjoy often and I like TMNT! I lowered the pitch a bit and started enjoying it much more. Also my outlane posts are at the bottom and have rubbers on

I'm loving it. Flows beautifully around all these different routes and avenues. Totally agree you need your reaction zen master hat on its so quick so might take the pf angle down a couple of degrees as others have.
Never owned anything modern with these rule sets so will take a while to hit the high scores but really enjoying it.

I'm loving it. Flows beautifully around all these different routes and avenues. Totally agree you need your reaction zen master hat on its so quick so might take the pf angle down a couple of degrees as others have.
Never owned anything modern with these rule sets so will take a while to hit the high scores but really enjoying it.

Hit the three drop targets a bit before starting a mode (ramp on the left).

That's a good starting point I think?

Part Deux

Sending a few extended sets out for test some are for Prem/LE only but not all.

Choice of Blue for Area 51 Let’s see if it works or not.

IMG_1249.jpeg

Coly

Reactions: Jib
Does anyone in the UK do the PSU fans, not sure I can wait for one to arrive from Pinmonk - Foos is next to my desk (shame) and sounds like it is taking off at times with the cheapo fan Stern have used!

Also, balls, where to get good quality ones here as I took some out of another game for it!

Really enjoying it, very fast and the shots are great, def goes onto the 'never leaving' list for me :)

Not quite sure on strategy, fully upgrading the van means mode completion is far easier and scores much higher - Josh favours using Overlord MB to upgrade the van, then starting a mode in single ball, but I find that often means I drain out the fully upgraded van mode instantly and lose the upgrade work for no points!

I still find it bloody annoying that they 'flash' the Overdrive/Ball Save lights at times with the rest of the lightshow when they aren't active - always seems to happen when I glance at it and decide not to try to save the ball as it'll come back anyway...

I still find it bloody annoying that they 'flash' the Overdrive/Ball Save lights at times with the rest of the lightshow when they aren't active - always seems to happen when I glance at it and decide not to try to save the ball as it'll come back anyway...
That annoys me too Martin. I think I'll be blaming FF forever more for my new habit of holding the left flipper up for left outlane drains on all machines going forward :). BTW the success rate of that post saving the ball on my machine was quite low until I moved the apron forward and put some washers behind it, now it rarely fails but often catches me out during multiball :confused:.

Also, balls, where to get good quality ones here as I took some out of another game for it!

I believe those balls are for machines without magnets, so suitable for the pro but not the premium/LE.

I believe those balls are for machines without magnets, so suitable for the pro but not the premium/LE.
I thought Dave said they were no noticeable effects on games with magnets after extensive testing over a year with onsite games or was I dreaming?
Last ones I ordered were Polaris and Ninjas one of those were specifically made for magnet games for sure.

I thought Dave said they were no noticeable effects on games with magnets after extensive testing over a year with onsite games or was I dreaming?
Last ones I ordered were Polaris and Ninjas one of those were specifically made for magnet games for sure.
His ad says for any pinball machine then further down says not recommended for machine with magnets lol.

I've not finished the second ball video yet, but Polaris are significantly softer because they're are carbon composite.

It even states in their description that they're more prone to chipping and imperfections than normal balls.

The pinsound multiballs have a thicker hardened chrome shell. To state the obvious, chrome is not magnetic so in my experience the multiballs don't magnetize as quickly as other brands. In fact I'm running them in Godzilla and haven't had an issue.

At less than £20 for 8 balls it's affordable to replace them before they magnetize anyway.

When I was fitting the upgraded speakers/plate/coloured insert to my machine I also bought a coloured plaque to go behind the name plate.
On all my other stem machines it is a hex socket with loads of spare thread length.

On this machine it is a Philips head and much shorter thread length so you can't sandwich the plaque behind it :rolleyes:

Josh came up with a strategy for mode champ score: max power up everything on the van, get 3x running, start the mode, hit a mode shot, shatz left target, shatz right target and then hit The Overlord shot for mode completion.

It's taken him two evenings of failures (with much swearing) but it works:

IMG_1543.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom