What's new

Ebay Auctions 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, unusual, game if you have a decent sized collection. I guess the seller got bored with it, hence why he is selling on so quickly and why so few ever got made ....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bally-Spe...eo_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item3f453b411b

Looks pretty good money for a dead strange science ..".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retro-80s...eo_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item35e38b66bd

Spectrum is a cool game! I like it. It's also a work of art when you see it in the flesh. It looks great. Well..... I think so anyway. :p

That's a tidy looking SPECTRUM. Very cool looking pin. But still no bids with 1 day to go. £700 to much to ask even for eBay?

Did anyone watch the slideshow video on the STRANGE SCIENCE? Well done and quite funny!

That's a tidy looking SPECTRUM. Very cool looking pin. But still no bids with 1 day to go. £700 to much to ask even for eBay?

I like the look of that Spectrum too, just watched the game play on the Todd Tucky video and it looks real quirky - kind of an electronic game (well Mastermind) driven by pinballs - not really for me. Also lots of PCBs to work on. The way the backglass paint has lifted right between her eyes is real spooky!

Golden rule of ebay, don't bid / buy without seeing it in person first.

Also mentions a known problem as being a 'very simple fix', take that with the biggest grain of salt in the known universe!

Also been relisted which isnt usually a good sign.

I've only ever had a couple of games on a Speakeasy but didn't think much of it, bit dull and boring. Save yourself the hassle of dealing with Ebay and see what's up for sale on here :thumbs:

Also mentions a known problem as being a 'very simple fix', take that with the biggest grain of salt in the known universe!

Indeed - but if you do, make sure its at a price that reflects all sorts of horrors that may lurk. Expect it to look and play way worse than described, they usually do :rolleyes: You can be fine, many machines just need some simple fixes, tweaks ....but if you are new to it all it is a big gamble to buy sight unseen.

Well my pockets are not that deep so I may be a bit limited - TAF is the one I remember playing and loved it and miss is but I think that's well out of my price range at the mo. As others have suggested - need to join a league - talk to other owners b4 leaping in and buying one without looking at it and knowing the in's and outs etc.

Might be worth narrowing down where in-county you are. Could give some locals an idea if your 5 mins or an hour away :)

Edit - If TAF is the one you remember/ liked then you're likely (tho not guaranteed) to be looking at DMD-era games of the late 80s and 90s.

<Closes curtains and starts locking doors and windows...> :p

Seriously though you're welcome to drop round and have a play on my machines - I think there's at least one member from Sandbach on here as well, although we've never met to my knowledge, surprisingly.

@windoesnot has a mate in Crewe who seems to enjoy the pinball as well so maybe you can car-share a lift over sometime.

Rog

99.9% of machines I am ever interested in are on the South Coast, so I never get to look at a machine before bidding, so I always bid assuming that there will be problems and as such adjust my price accordingly. Unfortunately I am often outbid, because most people buying on ebay seem to be dumb enough to believe the seller when they say "not working, but should be something simple like a fuse"

Reactions: JT.
That Speakeasy listing has been ended (#141538133710 "This listing was ended by the seller because the item was lost or broken.") and re-listed as item #141547124664.

Currently up to £215. Looks in pretty good shape. I would say £300-400. Shame about the sound. Maybe it is a loose connection, but if it's a dead sound module the AS-2518-51 could cost around £50-75 to replace/repair (unless you're a dab hand with retro electronics?). Not many made (1,000) so it's "rare" but that could be because, as other's have mentioned, it's a bit dull so not many were ordered. The thing about that though is that one man's thrill is another man's bore. Personally, I rather like old Bally games from this era. Even GOLD BALL is quite exciting to me :p but for someone who loves the deep rule-set of something like LORD OF THE RINGS they would quickly get bored ;)

If it's anywhere near go and see it and play it. Don't part with money unless you can play it. No excuses. If you want get a taster of the gameplay and rules beforehand, see if it's been recreated for Visual Pinball.

<---- Locksmith by trade :wave: Only joking - thanks for the offer Rog - see you own a TOM - been playing that for ages on my Nexus - bet it's not the same though! Just aching to have one but must be patient! - have the bits and monitors to build a Virtual one, hope that's not swearing in here? - Still nothing like the real thing

If it's such an easy fix on that Speak Easy then why not just bloody fix the thing and sell it working instead of expecting the buyer to sort it. The guy has owned it for 7 years and you're not telling me it's not had at least a few issues in that 7 year term given how unreliable we know Pins can be.

With that in mind I would very much doubt it IS a simple fix. Something to keep in mind when bidding that's for sure.

<Closes curtains and starts locking doors and windows...> :p

Seriously though you're welcome to drop round and have a play on my machines - I think there's at least one member from Sandbach on here as well, although we've never met to my knowledge, surprisingly.

@windoesnot has a mate in Crewe who seems to enjoy the pinball as well so maybe you can car-share a lift over sometime.

Rog

I'm in Audlem, but just sold my last pin, a Metallica (well, it's sat in the playroom in a cardboard box awaiting Martin the delivery man).

<---- Locksmith by trade :wave: Only joking - thanks for the offer Rog - see you own a TOM - been playing that for ages on my Nexus - bet it's not the same though! Just aching to have one but must be patient! - have the bits and monitors to build a Virtual one, hope that's not swearing in here? - Still nothing like the real thing

For some people on here actually liking TOM is enough to get you burned alive for heresy :eek:. Fortunately most of them are southern shandy-drinking Popeye-lovers though, so you're less likely to run into them up here :p

Given that, I suspect virtualising it up is probably only like throwing a lit match on the already roaring bonfire...

You're right though - I've yet to meet a virtual pinball that gets the feel of a true pin table right.

What's wrong with Popeye?

Or shandy for that matter?

If it's such an easy fix on that Speak Easy then why not just bloody fix the thing and sell it working instead of expecting the buyer to sort it. The guy has owned it for 7 years and you're not telling me it's not had at least a few issues in that 7 year term given how unreliable we know Pins can be.

With that in mind I would very much doubt it IS a simple fix. Something to keep in mind when bidding that's for sure.
If the seller has had it for 7 years he's kept it in good condition. The playfield certainly looks clean and tidy, no grot at all, so they must have put in some regular effort to keep it that way, i.e., they're not scared to open it up. That of course makes me suspicious about the sound module. They could at least unplug it, give it a jiggle, wipe the contacts clean and plug it back in, see what that does? Hence my advice to factor in £50-75 for a replacement (or repair) because I looked at replacing the very same sound card in GB.

What is it about selling pinballs on eBay that leads to the regular use of the phrases "probably just a fuse" and "probably just a quick fix"? Pinballs are complex electro-mechanical devices that sometimes test the patience of the most experienced engineers! I don't see this often on other stuff. Not on cars ("Started ok yesterday, but after it was parked overnight it won't start up this morning - probably just a fuse...") and most conspicuously not on arcade video games where sellers seem to be much more open and just state "This is fooked, that is chuffed, etc."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom