What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired DMD Led Color DMDMK66 128x32, 192x64, 128x16 manufactured by Pinballsp

Expired Due to no activity

Hello everybody.

People request me instructions to install and config device. Well, first need install and config USB drivers properly, so to do it need download following software:

1.- Zadig software
2.- DFUSeDemo

And apply following instructions:

1.- Install Zadig software and DFUSeDemo software.
2.- Connect DMD to PC with USB cable (do not need provide power supply to DMD).
3.- Run Zadig, select PIN2DMD device and libusb-win32, push Replace Driver button. USB drivers are already installed.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_zadig10.png

4.- I provide all DMD with firmware preloaded, but if you want update it with new version, change Boot DIP Switch position (Switch 2) to enter in update mode (DFU USB mode), then connect USB cable to PC computer.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_boot10.jpg

5.- Connect DMD to PC by USB (do not need provide power supply), run DFUSeDemo software, then will see this screen. In Available DFU Devices you must to see "STM Device in DFU Mode", if do not see it check in controller board status of Boot Switch.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen44.jpg

6.- To update firmware you will need last firmware version in DFU file, check Web Github of firmware and download it. Then select from Upgrade or Verify Action, option "Choose" and select DFU file you have download from Github, and to apply update push "Upgrade" button. You will see in screen status of update like next picture.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen45.jpg

7.- If all ok, software show following screen message of success (File correctly loaded). Then modify Boot DIP switch to initial position and reset device to run new firmware.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen46.jpg

8.- To config DMD, you must insert a micro SD card FAT32 formated in controller board, see following picture. Suggest a known SD card manufacturer like Kingston, Sandisk, etc... some SD cards may fail or do not work properly mainly those cheap chinese cards, so better install a known manufacturer SD card. Any size is ok, the cheaper 1GB or 2GB is ok, but you may put any, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, really config files and palette files are very small, only a few bytes so do not waste money with big size SD cards, the smaller is ok.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_sd10.jpg

9.- Connect DMD to PC with USB cable, and now provide also power supply to DMD, then you will see splash screen and status of configuration (virtual pinball pinmame mode or real pinball manufacturer). Run tool software (may download from web Github of firmware). Here you will may select virtual pinball or reall pinball manufacturer and bright level, then push "Save" button, and software will transfer config to controller board and will save it with a file in SD card. Reset device and check that DMD screen keep manufacturer you have select and bright level, then device is ready to work (though suggest also config colors according with your tastes).

If Red Led (ERR) in controller board is OFF, all is ok, controller board read and write SD card. But if Red led is always LIT then SD card FAIL, then check that SD card is FAT32 formated, and if fail again then try with another SD card manufacturer (suggest Kingston and Samdisk), some known quality because of some SD cards fail mainly chinese cheap cards.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen47.jpg

10.- VERY IMPORTANT to avoid DAMAGE mini USB connector in controller board, use ALWAYS a 90 degree USB cable, like see in following picture, NEVER use a usb straight cable or USB connector may BREAK and even damage PCB tracks.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_27260211.jpg

11.- To config the colors palette you want for real pinball, run Editor software (download from Web Github). You will see following screen.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen49.jpg

12.- Now for all real pinball, except SAM and Spike, select Planes two. If Stern SAM or Spike select four.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen50.jpg

13.- You will see the colors selected by default (4 or 16), and now you may change it according with your tastes.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen51.jpg

14.- So to change a color select the color icon with mouse left button, then push "Color" button, will open a colors window, select color and push "Accept".

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen52.jpg

15.- You will see that icon colors change wit your new choices. When its ok for you, its time to save color palette and generate palette file to store in SD card.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen53.jpg

16.- When you have select already colors that you want, select File, Export Project, and save file with name pin2dmd.pal. Then put this file in root directoy of your SD card, insert in DMD controller board, reset it, and thats all. Now your DMD with REAL pinball will apply the colors of your choice

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen54.jpg

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen55.jpg

17.- For Advanced color, to apply multiple colors by frames and animations for better look, check intructions for pin2dmd Editor and Pinball Browser

Pin2dmd Editor for advanced color
Advanced color with Pinballbrowser

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_262v7e10.jpg

18.- If you want use DMDST32 DMD with virtual pinball like Pinmame, then need replace the VpinMame.DLL file in your pinmame installation. Download new DLL file from this link and replace it.

VpinMame.DLL replace in your pinmame installation

19.- Now run your Pinmame, select and run pinball table, and then push F1, will see following screen. Select "Use PinDMD" and "Colorize DMD", then select the colors you want apply and push OK to save it.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen56.jpg

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_13680010.jpg

20.- For Pinmame with 16 colors Stern SAM tables, need a special version of Pinmame.

19.1 Download from this link Pinmame SAM , and apply following instructions.
19.2 Install VPXsetup in C: , after install folder will be C:/visual pinball
19.3 Uncompress vpinmame_25 and paste in C:/visual pinball.
19.4 Run setup.exe in C:/visual pinball. Push Uninstall, then Install to update version, close window.
19.5 Uncompress pinmame_sam2.29 file, copy exe file to C:/visual pinball and run. Push OK, if all ok will open a text file with register.
19.6 Uncompress vpinmame_sam_non_pim, copy file sam.vbs to C:/visual pinball/tables.
19.7 Now copy files bass.dll and vpinamame.dll to C:/visual pinball
19.8 And thats all, now only need download Roms and Tables for SAM games you want.

To avoid mistakes its important to know version of Rom for Table. Will know if open the Table with visual pinball v9.9 and push Script, if look you will see the Rom that need and how rename and compress in zip file to store in Rom folder.

Great timing on this Luis, my dmdst32 arrived in the post today :thumbs:

Hopefully get a look at it tomorrow

OK I am making progress, now got the txt.gz file from pinmame. I have created some colour pallets and set the key frames to switch them but when I click start the pallets don't change... Any ideas why?

image.jpg
image.jpg

It's only limited to 4 colours if you're just switching the pallet.

You can do 16 colours per frame but doing so requires you to dump out the animations and then recolour them on a frame by frame basis. It's a lot of work but I think it's worth it.

jesus that looks like a ****load of work, are you sure someone hasn't already done it, and you can just use their code?

I add more instructions to User Manual. These to may DUMP animations from Pinmame to apply advanced color with Editor.

1.- Download this RAR file, include a new Vpinmame.DLL to replace in your pinmame installation, to may dump animations in a TXT file that may open with Editor.
Vpinmame.dll and instructions to dump animations

2.- Uncompress before file and replace Vpinmame.DLL file in your pinmame installation. This DLL allow dump all animations that you play, in a DUMP.TXT file in C:/TMP

3.- So, after replace DLL, play the game you want dump, try to play all animations. I think there is some Debug option in pinmame to move the ball manually so you will may to run all animations.

4.- After play the game, you will see a file named DUMP.TXT in directory C:/TMP, compress it with GZ compresor, for example with name drwho-dump.txt.gz

5.- Now run pin2dmd Editor.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen62.jpg

6.- Open Animation with Animations > Load Animation

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen63.jpg

7.- Select the dump file you saved, in this example drwho-dump.txt.gz

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen64.jpg

8.- Now in Animations you will see the name of file you have load, select it and you will see all animations. How apply now advanced colors, Key Frames, etc... check in Editor web site Editor Advanced Color

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen65.jpg

Last edited:
I really would not do anymore work on the display until you work on an actual display.
The colours are miles different when you see the real thing lit up.

You do not need to colourize anything - you can set the colours and let them do it automatically. Looks great on my machine!

How do you donate for the License ? Do you connect it to the PC and run the Software ?

I havent got around to connecting mine up yet but I might as well get registered so i can run when I get a chance to set it up

My keys have always been messaged to me very quickly thru the vpuniverse forums.

You need to rename the key to: pin2dmd.key and put it on a micro SD card and put it into the back of the display.

Then you can plug in the display into your PC via USB and you can select what it is to be used for.

Will take some messing around to get your palettes right for your game.

Detailed instructions are already on this thread or www.pin2dmd.com

Hi all,

OK I have it hooked up and registered.

2 problems, how do I configure WiFi? and I cannot connect to the display from pin2dmd-editor, I have installed Java but constantly get access denied..

C

ok, got the display talking and mirroring the PC, still can't work out how to configure the wifi on the display and none of the buttons on the back do anything

The latest editor software doesnt seem to be too friendly to 'real' pinballs - I had to go backwards!!!

First of all you need to run a program and tell it if you want the display to be on a virtual or real pinball.

I have WiFi in one of my displays and its early days with it. I would leave that for now. it is not as simple as finding it on a network. You have to put your SD card into your PC, write to it - then put it into the back of the display and re-power up the display. WiFI will improve this in future firmwares but upgrading the firmware can be a little bit of a pain so as mine work fine now - they are staying with that firmware in them! (2.23 and 2.3 in respective displays).

Just set a basic palette and left it to run happily on my CV. No way would I go back to a normal DMD now.

I do have the older editor files should you need them.

http://pin2dmd.com/tool/

Hi Pick,

Yes please as I am getting no where wit custom pallets or uploading animations or pallet key frames. I knew it wouldn't be easy but this is really hard...

C

Unzip this - use pin2dmd.exe to set what you want display to do. This is the older version that works with real pins properly.

Attachments

• pin 2 dmd sw.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
Here are the last 2 previous versions of the editor. Dont forget to use your pin2dmd.key file to register the software (but I did that before you change the name of the file from the long hash number!)

Attachments

• pin2dmd old versions.zip
    19.4 MB · Views: 9
Very quick photo of mine running. Phones dont seem to show these up properly.

Well worth messing with - once you get the knack of doing palettes - it is very easy.

Attachments

• cv dmd test 1.JPG
    cv dmd test 1.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Hi all,

OK I have it hooked up and registered.

2 problems, how do I configure WiFi? and I cannot connect to the display from pin2dmd-editor, I have installed Java but constantly get access denied..

C

You do know wifi is only for updating firmware at the moment.... Its not for uploading pal/xml files.
That could change.

Back
Top Bottom