What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expired DMD Led Color DMDMK66 128x32, 192x64, 128x16 manufactured by Pinballsp

Expired Due to no activity
I think you need to do each frame Pete. I've no experience with the software either but that was my understanding from reading bits

Nope - you can do segments using palette changes. If that doesnt work then you can do indeed frame by frame if you wish :)

There are three options to apply colors with pin2dmd:

1.- Basic: simply select 4 colors (16 for Stern SAM and Spike), then firmware will replace bright levels by colors, this apply to all animations in game, same colors.

2.- Color palette by animation sequence: Here with pin2dmd Editor you may apply several color palettes (4 colors, except SAM and Spike 16 colors), so you open animations in pin2dmd editor, config start-end of video sequence and apply one color palette. May define different color palette for different video animations.

3.- Advanced colored: this may do with pinball browser for SAM and Spike and also may check with pin2dmd Editor. Here you may color frame by frame, its a hard work, but are the best results.

Many times, with second option its enough to get very good results, and its fast and easy, even with first option look is very good with some games. For example this simple 4 color palette for Attack from Mars and Theathre of Magic is really good, may improve it if add some special palette for some specific animation using option 2:

scontent_lhr3_1.xx.fbcdn.net_t31.0_8_13735548_1083557461724489_6385194119444230724_o.jpg

scontent_lhr3_1.xx.fbcdn.net_t31.0_8_13731760_1083557571724478_918481911768331957_o.jpg

I'm interested to know what to do with non-static content; for example animations where maybe you have a backdrop or frame and then high scores displayed inside? Is some form of masking used in these cases?

Sample projects for Pin2DMD would be a massive help if anyone has some they could share. I've already dumped some of the dots from R&B using the modified vPinmame DLL but it would be handy to know how to slice the animations up.

Finally, it would be extra cool if you could link this up to the PC via USB to preview the effects as you're working on it. Is that possible? My R&B is in bits right now so this would be a project I could probably do alongside the rebuild.

If need more colors or palettes, then will must to color by frame.
May define masks to avoid variable data like scores, ball in game, etc...

From PC to DMD only may check colors with virtual pinball, its the faster way to check if good look. A few days ago I was testing colors for a Simpsons PInball Party with Pinmame and DMDST32, simply must replace a DLL in pinmame and select output pindmd to activate it by USB, very easy. There is also a special version of Pinmame for Stern SAM, to check 16 colors.

scontent_mad1_1.xx.fbcdn.net_v_t1.0_9_13007167_1030031810410387148b4a3f57cbe6fc0e82ca44ace13a3.jpg

Ok, I think I understand the issue having read a bit more.

The animations i'm importing automatically import as 2 plane animations. I believe, from reading the documentation, that 2 plane animations limit the colour count to just 4.

If you want 16 colours in each DMD frame then you need to have 4 planes per animation.

Is this even possible? How do you go about changing the number of planes? I can't see any option to do that so i'm now wondering if Data East machines are restricted to just 4 colours?

Ok, I think I understand the issue having read a bit more.

The animations i'm importing automatically import as 2 plane animations. I believe, from reading the documentation, that 2 plane animations limit the colour count to just 4.

If you want 16 colours in each DMD frame then you need to have 4 planes per animation.

Is this even possible? How do you go about changing the number of planes? I can't see any option to do that so i'm now wondering if Data East machines are restricted to just 4 colours?

Well, not exactly.
If you work with basic system and key frame by video sequence, then software replace brightness levels by colors, so with this system in all pinballs, except Stern SAM and Spike, work with 4 colors.

But when you apply advanced colored by frame, you may apply more colors by frame. But with system 1 and 2, yes, for all except Stern SAM and Spike, only may apply 4 colors in same frame. Then if you want apply more colors will must to do with advanced colored by frame.

Yo can not change the number of frames by picture, because of its from original pinball manufacturer. They to do different brightness levels send to display, very fast, same picture 2 or 4 times with different pixels to simulate grey levels.

So for a new colored image with more number of colors, need apply colors individually by frame, can not do it with color palettes.

Thanks pinballsp :)

It turned out that the modified pixels were not being retained because of the way the Pin2DMD editor works. If you click and drag the bar below the preview window then the changes are lost; but if you use the < and > buttons when you finish editing your frame then the changes are kept.

Pin2DMD11.png

I still need to learn more about masking and how it can be used to mix the animations with variable content, such as the high scores. But right now i'm pretty confident I could make my old R&B look a lot nicer.

I may well be putting an order in for one of these in the next few weeks.

Looking forward to some feedback when people get their hands on these... I have a STTNG that I would love to colour up, but in the past just too much money... this though looks like it could be just the ticket...

Well I've had awful trouble with mine. Think I've narrowed it down to bad sd cards though so I'll give it another go during the week and see if I can get it done.

One of the leds fell off my dmd as well so that's pretty annoying. The lads in fairness are very good at responding to questions and helping you out. I think a lot of problems would be solved with a 1 page printout shipped with the dmd

Well got an update for this.

I went ahead and bought a new Kingston 4gb sd card and it worked straight away. Very nice when the panel is in full display. I only loaded the stock red, blue and white colour scheme and its still very nice. I turned the brightness down on mine aswell, it can go really bright and its a bit glary when it is

I would reccommend it, i'll let ye know how i get one once I have a proper colourised file installed

I have one - trying it in a game within the next few days.
Already have one in a virtual pinball (yes I can hear the boos and hisses!)
This guys work is top knotch...

Courtney - you can colourize any rom - on my VP things like Metallica look amazing.

I have one on its way.

Don't know what machine i'm going to put it in.
Might ultimately go in my virtual pin when i eventually build it

Same display in both, before fitting into a real pinball you still have to connect it up - register it and set it up with the software.

Colourisation can be done completely custom (which takes a long time) - or you can do it by loading a palette file.

All info is here:
www.pin2dmd.com

Hello everybody.

People request me instructions to install and config device. Well, first need install and config USB drivers properly, so to do it need download following software:

1.- Zadig software
2.- DFUSeDemo

And apply following instructions:

1.- Install Zadig software and DFUSeDemo software.
2.- Connect DMD to PC with USB cable (do not need provide power supply to DMD).
3.- Run Zadig, select PIN2DMD device and libusb-win32, push Replace Driver button. USB drivers are already installed.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_zadig10.png

4.- I provide all DMD with firmware preloaded, but if you want update it with new version, change Boot DIP Switch position (Switch 2) to enter in update mode (DFU USB mode), then connect USB cable to PC computer.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_boot10.jpg

5.- Connect DMD to PC by USB (do not need provide power supply), run DFUSeDemo software, then will see this screen. In Available DFU Devices you must to see "STM Device in DFU Mode", if do not see it check in controller board status of Boot Switch.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen44.jpg

6.- To update firmware you will need last firmware version in DFU file, check Web Github of firmware and download it. Then select from Upgrade or Verify Action, option "Choose" and select DFU file you have download from Github, and to apply update push "Upgrade" button. You will see in screen status of update like next picture.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen45.jpg

7.- If all ok, software show following screen message of success (File correctly loaded). Then modify Boot DIP switch to initial position and reset device to run new firmware.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen46.jpg

8.- To config DMD, you must insert a micro SD card FAT32 formated in controller board, see following picture. Suggest a known SD card manufacturer like Kingston, Sandisk, etc... some SD cards may fail or do not work properly mainly those cheap chinese cards, so better install a known manufacturer SD card. Any size is ok, the cheaper 1GB or 2GB is ok, but you may put any, 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, really config files and palette files are very small, only a few bytes so do not waste money with big size SD cards, the smaller is ok.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_sd10.jpg

9.- Connect DMD to PC with USB cable, and now provide also power supply to DMD, then you will see splash screen and status of configuration (virtual pinball pinmame mode or real pinball manufacturer). Run tool software (may download from web Github of firmware). Here you will may select virtual pinball or reall pinball manufacturer and bright level, then push "Save" button, and software will transfer config to controller board and will save it with a file in SD card. Reset device and check that DMD screen keep manufacturer you have select and bright level, then device is ready to work (though suggest also config colors according with your tastes).

If Red Led (ERR) in controller board is OFF, all is ok, controller board read and write SD card. But if Red led is always LIT then SD card FAIL, then check that SD card is FAT32 formated, and if fail again then try with another SD card manufacturer (suggest Kingston and Samdisk), some known quality because of some SD cards fail mainly chinese cheap cards.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen47.jpg

10.- VERY IMPORTANT to avoid DAMAGE mini USB connector in controller board, use ALWAYS a 90 degree USB cable, like see in following picture, NEVER use a usb straight cable or USB connector may BREAK and even damage PCB tracks.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_27260211.jpg

11.- To config the colors palette you want for real pinball, run Editor software (download from Web Github). You will see following screen.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen49.jpg

12.- Now for all real pinball, except SAM and Spike, select Planes two. If Stern SAM or Spike select four.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen50.jpg

13.- You will see the colors selected by default (4 or 16), and now you may change it according with your tastes.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen51.jpg

14.- So to change a color select the color icon with mouse left button, then push "Color" button, will open a colors window, select color and push "Accept".

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen52.jpg

15.- You will see that icon colors change wit your new choices. When its ok for you, its time to save color palette and generate palette file to store in SD card.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen53.jpg

16.- When you have select already colors that you want, select File, Export Project, and save file with name pin2dmd.pal. Then put this file in root directoy of your SD card, insert in DMD controller board, reset it, and thats all. Now your DMD with REAL pinball will apply the colors of your choice

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen54.jpg

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen55.jpg

17.- For Advanced color, to apply multiple colors by frames and animations for better look, check intructions for pin2dmd Editor and Pinball Browser

Pin2dmd Editor for advanced color
Advanced color with Pinballbrowser

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_262v7e10.jpg

18.- If you want use DMDST32 DMD with virtual pinball like Pinmame, then need replace the VpinMame.DLL file in your pinmame installation. Download new DLL file from this link and replace it.

VpinMame.DLL replace in your pinmame installation

19.- Now run your Pinmame, select and run pinball table, and then push F1, will see following screen. Select "Use PinDMD" and "Colorize DMD", then select the colors you want apply and push OK to save it.

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_screen56.jpg

i35.servimg.com_u_f35_19_51_27_33_13680010.jpg

20.- For Pinmame with 16 colors Stern SAM tables, need a special version of Pinmame.

19.1 Download from this link Pinmame SAM , and apply following instructions.
19.2 Install VPXsetup in C: , after install folder will be C:/visual pinball
19.3 Uncompress vpinmame_25 and paste in C:/visual pinball.
19.4 Run setup.exe in C:/visual pinball. Push Uninstall, then Install to update version, close window.
19.5 Uncompress pinmame_sam2.29 file, copy exe file to C:/visual pinball and run. Push OK, if all ok will open a text file with register.
19.6 Uncompress vpinmame_sam_non_pim, copy file sam.vbs to C:/visual pinball/tables.
19.7 Now copy files bass.dll and vpinamame.dll to C:/visual pinball
19.8 And thats all, now only need download Roms and Tables for SAM games you want.

To avoid mistakes its important to know version of Rom for Table. Will know if open the Table with visual pinball v9.9 and push Script, if look you will see the Rom that need and how rename and compress in zip file to store in Rom folder.

OK So I have bought one of these for my Flintstones and have no idea what to do to colourise the rom. Any help would be *Greatly* appreciated

Hello Courtney.
For basic color, 4 colors, do not need edit the Rom, simply apply my instructions from step 11 to 16.

And if you want advanced color by animations and frames, then follow instructions in step 17. To get animations need apply a new DLL in Pinmame then play the game and this new DLL do a dump of all animations when you play the game, then open dump file in editor to apply advanced color, I will put instructions and download about this DLL later.

It takes HOURS to custom colourise a table - you can do that in visual pinball if you download all of that - but it is PC based and not MAC (the only PC in my house is in my virtual pin). You can 'dump' the rom from the game using the display but that takes longer.
Or you can just load a .dmc file someone else has done. It gives a set colour palette for the whole game.
To fully colourise a game you need to 'play' every mode.

You need your pin2dmd set up witj you - otherwise you will get errors.

Ahhh ok I will have to wait, Yeah I guessed I would have to colour the whole thing by hand. I have a copy of the rom from the game, well both V4 and V5 software as a .bin rom image already. I can run windows on my mac but not a great solution.

The editor wont load the rom. Just use the basic colour dmd .dmc that you can download from vpuniverse. Its fine - it works great.

You have to do a 'dump' of the game to recolourise - you can not do this without either visual pinball and vpinmame running - or the game itself.

Yeah, to do the full colour thing you need to dump out the frames of animation from the ROM first. So far as i'm aware you have to do this by using vPinMame with a modified DLL and then you somehow have to figure a way to trigger all animations. In my case i've downloaded the Visual Pinball file for Rocky & Bullwinkle and i've hacked the vbScript behind the table so i can trigger the switches at will. Then it's just a case of figuring out which switches are needed to get each animation or mode to activate. Simples.

I say simples but doing what i've done so far has probably taken a good 3-4 hours, but i'm now at the point where I should be able to dump all the animations.

Right now i'm sat on the fence a little as ColorDMD have just launched their RGB LED panel. At the moment it doesn't support Rocky & Bullwinkle and although someone is working on it they can't tell me when it will be done. And of course the ColorDMD option is also more pricey than this.

I'm pretty much at the point where i'm tempted to buy one of these and when ColorDMD finally support R&B grabbing one of those and using the DMDST32 in a Virtual Pin. Or maybe instead of spending time colourising the dots I should focus on getting the playfield sorted.

What to do? What to do?

Back
Top Bottom