What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Champions League of Pinball

I like the idea - whoever wants to pay £100 for this mad comp can do so - maybe have an entry form online and play it at the Pinfest. If it becomes an annual event getting bigger and juicier each time that would be cool. It's the same concept with online poker, you pays your money and take your chances, and anyone could win on the day. If there aren't enough takers, reduce the enrty cost down, see how it goes.

Loving the fact John and me were top 20 last year, woohoo!

In an ideal world, the UK would have one premier tournament that is so good, it would attract the big boys from USA.

Would need big prize money to compensate for the lesser points I guess.

Then you guys would really be able to test yourselves - imagine head to head against Keith Elwin etc ;)

In an ideal world, the UK would have one premier tournament that is so good, it would attract the big boys from USA.

Would need big prize money to compensate for the lesser points I guess.

Then you guys would really be able to test yourselves - imagine head to head against Keith Elwin etc ;)

In years gone by this was the UK Open as some of the top European players came over although admittedly only a small number compared to comps in Europe. You'll never get Keith here as he doesn't travel outside US.

I'm seeing that there's little to no chance of getting a Champions League off the ground, but maybe there is a chance for a one-off streamed event to be held, maybe at Pinfest on the Saturday evening?

How about it then?

Saturday evening, until late at Pinfest. We can sort a bank of say 10 machines, based on what's available/suitable with a mix of era's.

Round robin event where everyone plays everyone in a best of 5 or best of 7 match play round. Alternating choice of game. Most H2H wins, wins all the cash??

@strobey would you be keen?

Pre registration required? So that we can tailor the format. My gut feeling is we might get 5-10 people keen?

Last edited:
I am definitely up for some kind of high-level / high-entry competition, possibly at Pinfest.

Who else is going to commit to it?

At the moment it's me and Craig:)

If it's Sat Eve/night count me out. Otherwise be up for it daytime but of course that would rule out Pinfest with all other conps going on.

I've quickly knocked this up.

Basically,
8 players
£100 Entry

Qualifying
Each player plays each other twice.
Each win in qualifying earns £10

Finals
Top 3 play 6 x 3player games
Winner gets £215
Runner-up £90

On the sheet the figures in red (Entry fee and qualifying game win) can be changed, and it'll automatically calculate the rest of the payouts.

It guarantees you 14 H2H games, plus the chance of a further 6 games and the chance at 1st prize if you finish in the top 3rd.

I think people will prefer this kind of a comp, rather than a winner takes all, you have much more of a chance of getting some of you money back against (especially if you think you're better than some of the competitors) rather than having to beat EVERYONE.

The downside would be having 14 games to play, against 7 different opponents in the qualifying round - it'll take time. However, there would be no need to have a bank of games, they could be played on ANY of the games in the hall, through out the day. Finals could be played the following day.

Attachments

• High Stakes Round Robin.xlsx
    13.3 KB · Views: 6
There is something about the UK and travelling to events, we are either tight lazy or apathetic. I used to race model cars and there was a huge regional divide that always got in the way of knowing who the best racer was.

Craig I’m mortified that you didn’t book me in my usual place of last on the league of pinball payers! :)

I’m up for helping getting it going. However, I’m working on a couple of things one of which would make the location a no brainier as _everybody_ would want to travel to this location, I need a couple of weeks to confirm it though.

Neil McRae currently in New York playing at the NYC champs where people ALL over the US and canada have travelled too....

It’s a room no bigger than Flipout with 30 machines in it... 150 players here to play, and New York isn’t freaking cheap! So we attitudes need adjusting and as Craig rightly says in it to win it.

Neil.

I don’t know why you limit it to so few players

Do a match play tourney and you can get a lot of playing done if you are organised. I played in two events with alot of players over a few hours here and it worked well.

Looks great that Wayne. Maybe need something for the qualifying phase that would stop a player from picking the same machine every time (if it's a machine they brought for example).

If the spots are limited in number, then it would probably be worth offering first refusal to those on some qualifying list first, whether that's Craig's list (ahaha) or the IFPA list or whatever.

Yeah I like Wayne's suggestion and agree it is much more palletable that a winner takes all tourney (although I do love that idea!)

I also agree with everything that Neil has said. The format shouldn't limit the number of people that want to take part and if we ever get more than 8 interested then it should adapt.

However it's still only 2 of us at the moment, oh and Stormy of course ;)

Come on guys, roll up roll up for some high stakes action

Rather than travelling around the country, would you not want a central-ish location? Like Daventry? ;)

Probably the right environment and something all pinheads would love to witness. Plus you can swing your length in all it's glory in front of an appreciative crowd.

I don’t know why you limit it to so few players

Do a match play tourney and you can get a lot of playing done if you are organised. I played in two events with alot of players over a few hours here and it worked well.
I think realistically that the only people who could win would be from the list already given, I'd rather the top players played each other twice rather than someone there to swell the numbers.
With 8 players there are already 20 games the winner has to play, likely to take longer than average, when are the extra games going to take place?

I think realistically that the only people who could win would be from the list already given, I'd rather the top players played each other twice rather than someone there to swell the numbers.
With 8 players there are already 20 games the winner has to play, likely to take longer than average, when are the extra games going to take place?
If limited to just 8 players fighting it out to see who is the best, surely winner takes all is the best scenario as pressure will be way higher and part of seeing who the best player is, is to see who can cope with competitive pressure?
If I was good enough to feature in the top 8, I would say 'bring it on, winner takes it all' ;)

as it’s important to know that Craig really is better than you Wayne (lol) I want to know that I’m better than @Mfresh :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well seeing as the registration page for the UK open for Daventry is being finalised, perhaps it should be with a £100 entry fee, open to all...?

Any thoughts?

Is there going to be any bets on ,my prediction is ....

1 Nick @mufcmufc
2 Andy @PUP
3 Martyn R
4 Craig @roadshow16

Sorry Craig put you in 4th place as I have not seen you play I don't think ;)

:cuckoo:

How about backers? Maybe you don't feel like you have the skills to take home the cash, but you think you know who will and want a piece of the action??

I have no idea how this would work, but love the idea of people cheering you along because they will benefit too! @mufcmufc any ideas??

Well seeing as the registration page for the UK open for Daventry is being finalised, perhaps it should be with a £100 entry fee, open to all...?

Any thoughts?

Ugh!!! I thought we were trying to encourage everyone to compete. It is the UK OPEN after all! It's not meant to be a comp for just the elite or ones with money to throw around. It's for everyone to have a go and see how they do with the chance to progress to the later stages. I know this has given some players a real buzz in the past and the B division introduced for those who didn't quite make the cut was really appreciated.

The £100 entrance fee is going to deter the vast majority of the casial players who would otherwise normally want to have a go for fun and see how far they get.

Let's just remember pinballs meanr to be all about fun and for everyone. Don't make the main Comp at the UK Open just for the elite.

Sounds petty and wanting to be called the best... I say get a life and let pinball be fun... All this takes the fun away from pinball and puts people off...

Ugh!!! I thought we were trying to encourage everyone to compete. It is the UK OPEN after all! It's not meant to be a comp for just the elite or ones with money to throw around. It's for everyone to have a go and see how they do with the chance to progress to the later stages. I know this has given some players a real buzz in the past and the B division introduced for those who didn't quite make the cut was really appreciated.

The £100 entrance fee is going to deter the vast majority of the casial players who would otherwise normally want to have a go for fun and see how far they get.

Let's just remember pinballs meanr to be all about fun and for everyone. Don't make the main Comp at the UK Open just for the elite.

I don't think that was what Peter was saying? I thought that he was just suggesting that when people were signing up for the UK Open, they also had the opportunity to sign up for the other high stakes £100 tournament at the same time. Well, that was what I was thinking. I was never suggesting that the UK Open should be £100!

@Big Phil . You have the right forum to host a proper tournament at your Midlands event. Maybe this year and certainly next. Our European friends will need plenty of notice if you want a strong field of contenders.

For most folk, the only thing interesting about watching 8 geeks playing pinball lots of times, with some complex spreadsheet deciding what portion of the pot they take home, would be the bitching and moaning of geeks 9 and 10 complaining that they were unfairly excluded from entering.

The last proper UK open in Wales is the way to go. The wheel has already been invented. It managed to attract a number of the top European players who tended to win it each year. Debating whether the South East or South West represents the Mecca of global pinball becomes rather acadrmic when a few Dutch and French turn up and win the thing. Plenty of points must be up for grabs to get our continental cousins out of bed.
  • Open tournament
  • Groups of [11] on day one
  • One game, league style play, against everyone in your group
  • Groups are seeded so the points brigade can see a fair chance of making it to day 2
  • Top [3] or so in each group go into day 2
  • Even complete numptees get to meet some frsh faces, secure 10 games for their £10 entry and will get to play and smell some top players, as well as getting down and dirty with some other numptees
  • Day 2 is knockout. Best of threes in the early stages
  • Can go on all day so the points brigade can fill their boots
  • One of the top 4 that enter will doubtless win the thing, and some giants will be humbled by numptees along the way

Oh wow that makes it perfect if a couple of French people and a nether lander turn up, I carnt wait :rofl:

Just my 2c here as I organised a few sports similar.
First off I thought this was to find best uk player not euro/world one at one event I maybe wrong.
But if its the former we had comps like all Irelands whereby we did area group qualified by having a comp in that area @10 euro each 16 players with the winner paid into the 100 euro entry and 1night stay from that group .
That ment those winners were the county seeds for the all ireland and only cost them 10 euro usally 32 county players were picked by then and added 3200 to the prize pool.
Next stage would be some areas might want to put on another group to add a second or 3rd player same format.
That normally brought it to 64 and a prize fund of 6400.
Now if it was the latter you could still do same but allow certain wildcards none uk @100 entry into the draw .
All this means you have 6400 prize pool and prepaid rooms for all bar none uk players paid only really costing 10 euro.
Now just assign them machines for the 2days.
Again just my 2c

Back
Top Bottom