What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone used Martin recently?

Martin is a huge asset to the community and his knowledge and commitment when picking up/delivering games is second to none.

I prefer to pickup games myself, esspecially when it needs to be done quickly. But in the suitation where it's a long way away and time is less important and I'm willing to gamble that someone isn't going to gazump me, Martin is the man.

A few examples of going beyond the call of duty. Martin picked up a Centaur for me a few years ago in deepest Scotland, arrived to pickup the game, it was still setup and stairs needed to be negotiated, I had no idea, no complaints, Martin delivered within a week.

The Skateball I have just received was a right pain. I agreed a price with the seller, arranged for Martin to pickup the game. Seller said, time was not an issue and Martin would pay on pickup. All good. 4 days later got an email from the seller saying he would have to back out of the deal (clearly a higher offer). I was obviously annoyed, explained to Martin and thought that was the end of it. A few days later, got a text from Martin explaining that he had been contacted by the new buyer to pickup the game, the new buyer had backed out and did I want him to pickup the game the next day for our agreed original price. He contacted the seller and arranged pickup for me. Without Martin, I would definitely not have a game that I have wanted for years. Great guy

I've ordered a van and collected/swapped/traded myself, but I've used martin and also good pal barry parsons has helped out when it suited.

Doing it yourself will reveal that long drops and collections are not easily sorted - for my view an 85charge is well worth it.

I usually use Red Wing Logistics these days. Half the price, half the waiting time. Every van has a tail lift and everyone who's come to pick a machine up has been totally professional.

I'd still recommend Martin to others but down this way, I often get his brother-in-law instead.
And, no offence to Martin as I've said this before and he seems to have got the right hump about it, his brother-in-law isn't worth the premium that Martin himself justifies.

There. I said it again.

Not sure what you are trying to say here but you appear to be contradicting yourself with what you posted about Red Wing and how good they are!!

"Half the price" Redwing doing it for £42.50 then??

Reading between the lines you appear to have the "hump" with Martin and his bil

Taken from UK-VAC posted by maskeddev

"I'm now in the 'f**k redwing' camp. Had my wife wait in all day for them to collect... only to get a call at 5pm asking 'are you in tomorrow morning'.

However, they are usually quicker than Martin and half the price.

Martin recently has used his brother to do pickups. The level of service is not the same at all though. No tail lift, bad jokes, and fingers hurting from crossing them so hard.

So I'm up for a new courier."

Redwing told me my cab would be picked up and delivered within 14 days. By day 14 they had missed 2 pick up dates they had given me and the cab was still with the seller. Wouldn't answer my texts or return my calls

Martin is far from perfect but I've never had an issue contacting him

Martin is far from perfect but I've never had an issue contacting him

:rofl:

Seriously? I like Martin as much as everyone else, he's been to mine over 20 times but I can't agree with that statement at all! There's loads of examples of frustrated customers not being able to get hold of him for extended periods and posting on here.

Yeah, Red Wing are half the price of Martin. Last cab was £40. Martin charges more than double that in fact.

You don't need to read between the lines. I'm ****ing explicit. The issue is paying Martins price but not getting Martins service. It's a business. I don't want couriers at mine moaning, telling **** jokes, and bashing my machines.

Didn't want to say a third time, but since you so very kindly asked...

As for contradiction, not really. The dates are different and things change. My last pinball sale fell through and that wasn't with Red Wing, that's that.

I know what the problem is mate and the reason for all this moaning and you have just said it "My last pinball sale fell through" basically you shot yourself in the foot by your comments so you only have yourself to blame :) that's that end of :D

I would always choose Martin for pinballs and classic cabs as they are expensive and need care. for run oif the mill stuff I use redwing as they are local and can work around to my schedule (often coming at 6am) but they can still be massive delays and bad communication. in the end if you want something done quickly then you have to do it yourself but this is not always possible. Hadfields and Gaming Direct will collect machines already paid for but they will give you a day window like most standard couriers so as such not flexible. same cost as Martin for a pinball but cheaper for fruits and cabs. some folks have posted issues with redwing damaging machines. they have moved 200+ items for me without this issue. Martin treats games like bone china. As for his BIL I can't comment as no experience. maybe admin can start a logistics section so say if someone is going from London to Bristol in a van they can post their plans and route and see if anyone needs a collection.

I worked in the transport industry for 15 years and have sen the very good and the very bad of domestic / commercial deliveries. I have used martin a couple of times and know people that have used him. Living in the north east of Scotland I fully appreciates the time, cost and drop density issues that exist of delivering to remote fish areas and also covering the large areas of the county he covers. It would cost £135 in fuel alone to drive from London to Aberdeen one way. Yes, he is not next day delivery and I am aware many weeks have past between pick up and delivery, I fully understand the reasons for this, especially in the area I live in. For the price he charges v the service he delivers v his costs, martin is very good value, especially as you know he will take care of your valuable purchase. I have used a number of other people and have mixd results, some very good and very quick and some that let you down and damage your purchase. I can and will only speak from my experience and find martin very good, the main reason I would use martin is I know he will look after my purchase, time is not an issue and I am fully aware I will get it when I get it. As said, there are others out there as good, you just got to find them.

I know what the problem is mate and the reason for all this moaning and you have just said it "My last pinball sale fell through" basically you shot yourself in the foot by your comments so you only have yourself to blame :) that's that end of :D

Not at all. That's the reason why I've gone back to Red Wing for my next delivery. I am still open for another courier...

Like I said, I'm explicit in what I say. No need to be snide.

Fact is, couriers are businesses. Martin gives the best service, red Wing gives the best price.

Another fact is, I've tipped Martin and paid up front every time I've used him and he's class, and I would still recommend him for moving grails. And have done on both here and UKVAC.

If you fancy a pop mate, PM me.

I have only met Martin twice. He delivered a bk2k to me 2 years ago. Completely undamaged.

He today collected a game from me. I saw the care that he takes. Proper trolley, great care over thresholds, ratchet strapping it to the vehicle, using blankets to protect the games in his charge,

He is willing to help folk dismantle games. He is willing to help folk get games on their legs. Many in his industry would do a kerbside drop on a pallet and tell you to swivel. Or damage it in transit, claiming that it was already like that

As a one man band you get a package deal. You get this level of personal attention. But he obviously cannot be in Devon and Aberdeen at the same time.

For me, the utmost priority when it comes to moving games is not damaging them.

From what I have seen, Martin is a very real asset to this community.

Martin was here at mine this morning dropping of a pin and has been here many many times either picking up dropping off or both. He is the best in my opinion but as said can't be everywhere at once! The logistics involved are huge! Good thing come to those who can wait! Otherwise pay your money and take your chances with likes of Hadfields!

This was true in the 19th century and it is every bit as valid today ...

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When
you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay
too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you
bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The
common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a
lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well
to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will
have enough to pay for something better.”

Not at all. That's the reason why I've gone back to Red Wing for my next delivery. I am still open for another courier...

Like I said, I'm explicit in what I say. No need to be snide.

Fact is, couriers are businesses. Martin gives the best service, red Wing gives the best price.

Another fact is, I've tipped Martin and paid up front every time I've used him and he's class, and I would still recommend him for moving grails. And have done on both here and UKVAC.

If you fancy a pop mate, PM me.

Why would I want to PM you mate?? :)

Is it not an open forum and I haven't been abusive called you names or whatever or do you just not want this openly discussed?

Irrespective of dates Redwing, in your eyes/mind, have suddenly become professional just because they arrived with a tail lift, wowzer, tbh a leopard doesn't change its spots and you may be all luvved up with them at the minute but sooner or later they will let you down again. I believe that more people have spoke out about their poor service levels rather than saying that they are the dogs doo dahs :)

example, redwing turn up at a customers with a vehicle with tail lift to collect 2 machines, easy lift on yes but wheel it on to wagon, bang bump the side, machine 2 exactly the same happens, bump damage again!! :eek:

yes tail lift makes it a lot easier but isn't foolproof.

Shock horror machine loaded on to van without a tail lift, happens all the time, how do you think most normal collectors move them around in vans or cars?

Sounds like you want top level service, which is fine don't we all, but at a rock bottom price!! ;)

As for having a pop no, you posted initially so really you were having a pop at Martin and his bil with some 'cryptic' comment about crossing your fingers as bil, cracked a joke, pushed your machine on to the van, slodged it, broke wind :eek: when as previously stated, the real reason for all of this, is because you lost out on a deal due to what you had said/posted on UKvac :)

Cake and eat it is nice mate but just using Martin for 'grails' and redwing for others will end in tears, again :)

Martin can't be in 2 places at once so he sent his bil, who doesn't have a tail lift and apparently the experience was just totally finger crossing hence the 'dissing' of bil and redwing suddenly the dogs doo dahs ;)

Ive used martin only once and it was fine but he has my other Walking Dead and seeing that he was in the area of Dan and Paul i kind of expected he come to me as where I wanted my TWD delivered is not far from them but I haven't been able to get a reply from him today. I dont mind how long it takes but id like to have a rough idea when it will arrive.

Cheers,
Neil.

Back
Top Bottom