What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where do you keep your pins?

geardownthreegreens

Registered
As per title guys. Garage or house? etc

I have converted my detached single garage into a games room. I have an upright vid which plays several thousand games, a T3, a Roadshow by the end of the week and possibly an Independence Day also, plus I'm currently building a permanent scenic slot car rally track at the other end. Scalextric for short :D

So if your collection is in the garage, do you heat it or not?? if so, what with. I currently have a small oil filed rad just taking the edge off, but half the garage and the ceiling is insulated and blue rubber matting on the floor.

Simon

all mine (that aren't out on loan) are in an unheated garage :(

it's not by design i can assure you, but there's no power in there. if there was, i would run a trickle charger for my bike, and a heater or dehumidifier (for the damp) on a timer, but there's nothing to plug them in. i use a generator when i visit, did loads of reserach to find the quietest one i could get (still about the volume of a hoover, but definitely manageable).

Until recently I had 3 in my kitchen. But decided to use some inheritance money on converting my integral garage.
There's a thread on here called operation man cave detailing the process. I now have room for 5 setup. I have room for a couple of vids which I'm intending to get one day.

The only trouble with space is I can't get the glass out without some jiggery pokery, so I always need a gap to move a pin in to! Kind of like these old puzzles:

image.jpg

Otherwise I'd have 6 set up.

I'm currently building a permanent scenic slot car rally track at the other end. Scalextric for short :D

I love the idea of this. I have a digital scalextric set which I'd love to have setup full time.

Like Simon, I have an oil filled rad to take the edge off. It's been incredibly mild this year, barley dropping below 5c so I only need the rad on for an hour and it's toasty for the rest of the evening.

TZ is in the converted coal shed (I'm Northern remember) which has heating (albeit crap), lights, power, carpets and even windows! Basically it's a single skinned, flat roofed extension for the house.

AFM is in pieces right now but was in the utility room (literally next door) through a false wall. It sits there with the downstairs loo, washing machine and tumble dryer. I have to open an external door and go outside to take the glass off.

Plans are in motion to turn our dilapidated, asbestos, useless garage into a real usuable space - and that's where I'll be putting 3 to 5 pins (still in the negotiation stages), my tools (currently in a cold damp shed), road bicycle, and also try to fit a little work from home office space in there too.

So right now it's not ideal, but not that bad. In the future it should be miles better, but will we just have a quick game if they're not in the same building? I doubt it...

The other extreme…… all my pins in heated room, by a 68Kw boiler!!!, which use to heat the water for the pool, but now only 2 rads at 12oC!! :)

Finally (after the house move), my three are in what we refer to as the Entertainment Room. I have two of @cooldan's as foster kids so five at the moment. They can be re-arranged in the current set up for eight before I have to remove the dinning room table and chairs. Long term plan is to rip out the 80's fireplace and then there might be room for twelve. The wife seems to joke that I can put another four in the hallway and even use the landing if I want to carry them up there but I am sure that will end in divorce, and a bad back.

Have some pins and candy cabs in room downstairs and cabs and Ij in loft conversion, and a few pins in a room at the back of a unit. Trying to sort out the rooms at home so they look better, specially after seeing some beautiful rooms people have made.
I also have slot car track and cars, though took my track down recently coz kids wanted cabs

10 of the better ones in the back room of the house despite my wife occasionally trying to claim it's a "family room". Six more in the shack at the bottom of the garden. It's been the first year for the outside pins, so I'll see how they've coped with the cold in a few weeks time.

I used to have a dining room :) Now it houses my 2 pins and 3 arcade cabs. Really tried to get my sit down Initial D cab in there too but there's no way I can fit it, so the lounge is now overspill, but on the plus side that now means since the lounge has a cab in it, I may as well get some more pins in here too :)

Cheers,

Johnny

I used to have 3 set up in my kitchen, although I had 4 in there for a while as well with 2 on there backs and 2 playable. I'm trying to sell my house at the moment so all 6 of mine are in my Dads garage.....one day they will have a new home :)

1 in the kitchen
4 upstairs in a bedroom
7 out on loan
4 currently in the garage
6 currently in the pinball cabin
2 in a shed

Last edited:
When mine were in the kitchen, there was a return to the old days where I spent hours cooking rubbish food that was burnt and cold by the time I ate it.

All 8 of mine in a cabin

44mm thick log wall, 50mm insulation on the walls. Double glazing. The during the day it reaches 21 with the sun coming through the glass and at night two 1.4kw radiators gently heat it. I have a digital thermometer that sends temp to a receiver in the house so I can see the temp in there. Doesn't drop below 14 degreesimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

Oh to have no clutter underneath your machines. Heaven.
Nice games room there Dave.

Errr... You should see the other side! Loads of crap under the others, side rails, decals, plastic draws with manuals, coils,switches etc under the pins

Mine are all coming home in the coming weeks due to liberating some space so am pretty excited, 3 of which I really need to spend some time with, JM owned for about about 4 years (about 2 hours play max) CFTBL (45 mins) & Congo (about an hour), also coming home, IJ (no2), BSD and my dead TAF, my BOP will also come out of storage and there's a bit of space left that will be taken up by the MMr and maybe a couple of transit machines (modders not keepers).

Back
Top Bottom