What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is a MM really worth?

i am usually guilty of the 'it owes me' mentality due to the ever increasing value of certain pins.i dont however tend to use that phrase from memeory.

having said that i tend to sell for the going rate as the next pin i look for is generally in the same pin catergory.

would i pay 8 grand for a pin???

NO! 8 grand buys me 3 or 4 cracking pins or a very fun car or motocyle or a very fun holiday.

everything for me has a ceiling price regardless of cost.

case in question do you buy a 300/400k hypercar that you are frightened to scratch or leave anywhere of a 50k holigan tool like a well sorted evo or a second hand 911 turbo?

i guarantee you the lower priced car will get more use and giv you the same smile.

I wish I was in a financial position to not let losing hundreds/thousands of pounds on a pin affect me. I'm not though. Congratulations if you are

My car needs new brake pads and a new oil filter every so often. The laptop needs a new battery every year or two. New flipper parts and rubbers are the same for a pin.

supply will always go down for these 20 year old machines, and demand seems to be on the rise. so the price climbs.

It's the only way I can justify spending 2 grand (or more) on a toy when the wife complains

[attachment=1035:ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343044580.619599.jpg]

jonathan' date=' post: 1695972 said:
I wish I was in a financial position to not let losing hundreds/thousands of pounds on a pin affect me. I'm not though. Congratulations if you are

No,I'm not but IMO it is similar comparison eg the difference between a 2 grand toy and an 8 grand museum piece

Every purchase and every situation is different. No wants to pay more than they could have paid somewhere else, we live in a global 'shop around' culture where we try to find the cheapest food shopping or car insurance. No wonder so many people want to make sure they understand what something is worth. Of course Pins have a value, this changes all the time due to many factor but if I can get a MM for £6k I wouldn't pay £8k for one as that would me real medieval madness.

Similarly for selling things. Hobbies are meant to be different but few of us will sell something for less than we think it is worth and surely we would consider what other machines went for, how we rate ours including any things we have sorted and spent money on. That all builds up to the "what it owes me" value. Unless we need to raise some money and then we would let it go for what we could get for it. But if you don't need to sell, you wouldn't want to lose money on it would you? Not when you could get more money and buy/build a time machine to go back in time and buy them when they were cheap....

Calimori' date=' post: 1695975 said:
Every purchase and every situation is different. No wants to pay more than they could have paid somewhere else, we live in a global 'shop around' culture where we try to find the cheapest food shopping or car insurance. No wonder so many people want to make sure they understand what something is worth. Of course Pins have a value, this changes all the time due to many factor but if I can get a MM for £6k I wouldn't pay £8k for one as that would me real medieval madness.

Similarly for selling things. Hobbies are meant to be different but few of us will sell something for less than we think it is worth and surely we would consider what other machines went for, how we rate ours including any things we have sorted and spent money on. That all builds up to the "what it owes me" value. Unless we need to raise some money and then we would let it go for what we could get for it. But if you don't need to sell, you wouldn't want to lose money on it would you? Not when you could get more money and buy/build a time machine to go back in time and buy them when they were cheap....

Bang on.

I've bought a 1957 Triumph Speed Twin in the past for £500. It was in thousand of pieces in crates and spent a year putting it back together.

I rode it for a bit but it wasn't my cup of tea so I sold it for £2500.

Why is that any different to buying a clapped-out pinball, spending money and time bringing it back to near-new condition and selling it for a higher price?

Don't think many of us are.

In a way the 'it owes me' keeps pinball growing - for now. It is the main reason I get pins in the house. I tell my wife I don't lose money. Cough, cough - and it's not true anyway as lost a bundle on 2 pins a while back;)

sorry jonathan but would you mind adding a smilie to that post as i cant tell if it was a dig or not?

wink-1.png

No dig. It was a genuine question posted at the top of the page with a couple of unnecessary replies imo. There seems to be some sort of Robin Hood mentality in pinball at the minute where it's thought of as wrong to sell a pinball at the going rate if you got a bargain on it. That's bull**** btw and wouldn't happen in any other walk of life. If you buy a Picasso at an antiques show for £100 and find out its worth a £1000000 who the Hell is going to sell it at the original price?

What's it worth is the number one question in pinball and always will be.

I know what you mean. I won't let a pin worth a lot go for anything silly as I tend to look at market prices first and use common sense with regards to condition etc. there are those however that seem to have no problem whatsoever ripping people off. If I remember correctly you have had a few run in's with one of them from a popular uk seaside resort

Lol

Exactly. I think some people's issues stem from the TAFG I sold. I'm not sure anyone knows what I sold it for mind. It didn't go for the asking price and I never expected it to. If people were that desperate for one they should have stumped up the 3k that I did for it. As it was there were were a few issues that needed fixing, I had a good few months with it and needed some cash to pay off Woz so moved it on again. The guy who bought it was ecstatic with it. The 2 pins I shifted before that were a lovely IJ I traded with Russ and a Whitewater I sold to a mate for half of what they sell for. Not sure where this reputation as a rip off merchabt/machine flipper comes from?

On the flip side, this is the only hobby I have ever seen (OK it's no hobby for me) where people give a toss about other people selling their possessions at a profit, unfortunately this mindset is contagious and I have found myself falling into the same mental trap on a few occasions, when I used to buy a motorcycle, restore it and make £1500, or even just snap a bargain and flip it for instant gain, no biker battered an eyelid, in fact if you spoke to another biker and said, I got this GSX for a grand and sold it for 2k the reply would be "great find and good job" in this hobby the wooden steaks seem to come out (had my own sharpened set at the ready in the past :confused:) who started all this nonsense?, I was oblivious to this mentality until I joined the UK pinball group and then it was impossible to rewind.........ignorance was bliss prior to that.

It all depends if you value others opinions and if you are affected by them or not. I go by current market conditions and pricing. Always have, always will. I'll leave the money squandering to the more well heeled folk....

Shame that MM is considered to be a £8K+ pin by at least three individuals that were prepared to offer it. It truly is well out of the normals guys reach....*sniffs*.....

I think Nick M corrected me on the past with regards to ebay offers, at auction end if there was an offer of 8k it does not necessarily mean that someone made that offer, it represents the counter offer made by the seller rather than the original offer made by the perspective buyer...........more info is needed if someone has any as to how the ebay offer system functions.

Was the recent MM up for £8k in bristol? If it was then I know for sure it was sold for less in a deal when someone bought a monster bash as well.

Judge Dreads' date=' post: 1696041 said:
I think Nick M corrected me on the past with regards to ebay offers, at auction end if there was an offer of 8k it does not necessarily mean that someone made that offer, it represents the counter offer made by the seller rather than the original offer made by the perspective buyer...........more info is needed if someone has any as to how the ebay offer system functions.

Hmm. I'm not so sure about that. After all, it was you who offered the guy £4K half way down the list, no? The guy at the top seems to have offered £7K before the £8K+ offer was declined. I will contact ebay customer services to find out the truth regarding the offers and the displaying of them.

Just got off the phone to ebay customer services. I did have to speak to several individuals as they were clearly foreign and couldnt understand my Teesside accent, but i got to speak to a competant english speaker eventually and they confirmed several times that they do not display seller counter offers if the seller pulls the listing (as is the case with the MM recently on ebay) They are only displayed if the sellers counter offer is accepted and the listing ends because a buyer accepts that offer through ebay.

So, that means three different ebay accounts offered over £8K for it. (one at £8500 and it was declined!)..... Maybe in another 20 years no one will care about 'em?....lol....

There you have it, my offer of 4k was more than enough I think, well more than enough to ensure I did not win it because I did not want it
wink-1.png

MM is a great title ,a great game but not worth anywhere near what people are asking in today's market.

Its worth as much as someone is willing to pay , for me that's less than 5k.

Don't forget there are a lot more machines out there, Don't think you have to have the "so called best" in your collection. Get out there and play the so called lesser titles, Most are great machines with plenty of bang for your buck. Give these a go instead of heading stright for what now are well out of most peoples budget, Most of the 1k to 1.5k machines are more than a match for your MM, MB and the like.

Oh and think yourself lucky that these "lesser" machines are still available at a price we can afford because pretty soon these might even dry up. So get out there and enjoy whats there, like I said most are great games if you only will give them a chance.

replicas' date=' post: 1696051 said:
Oh and think yourself lucky that these "lesser" machines are still available at a price we can afford because pretty soon these might even dry up. So get out there and enjoy whats there, like I said most are great games if you only will give them a chance.

Good call.

I'll eat hay with a horse if MM is still going for this money in 5 years. Pinball is the in thing at the minute, everyone wants one. Much like Mame was a few years back. Mame cabs that were selling for 2k on ebay aren't shifting for £500 now. The bubble will burst.

It may tail off and hit a ceiling point but I can't see it bursting and prices dropping to a quarter of current market prices, I trade globally and can confirm pinball is everywhere even in countries you would least expect, don't know anything about Mame but know that pinball is not an addiction that is easy to kick which translates into a long term ongoing demand. I think what may influence future prices is when other investment opportunities become viable again, stock market or more so the property market, I think wealthy individuals (trophy pin hunters) currently view classic cars, antiques and pinball etc and avenues to invest their wonga until more fruitful options become available, it will be interesting to see what effect a change in the financial landscape will do to pinball prices although that change is a long way off as we dig deeper into the longest recession since WW2.

jonathan' date=' post: 1696060 said:
I'll eat hay with a horse if MM is still going for this money in 5 years. Pinball is the in thing at the minute, everyone wants one. Much like Mame was a few years back. Mame cabs that were selling for 2k on ebay aren't shifting for £500 now. The bubble will burst.

Hope you are right , if not I will be looking forward to watching you eat that hay with some old horse. So lets look out for 2017 and see what prices MM is fetching.

Judge Dreads

Expert

New

It may tail off and hit a ceiling point but I can't see it bursting and prices dropping to a quarter of current market prices, I trade globally and can confirm pinball is everywhere even in countries you would least expect, don't know anything about Mame but know that pinball is not an addiction that is easy to kick which translates into a long term ongoing demand. I think what may influence future prices is when other investment opportunities become viable again, stock market or more so the property market, I think wealthy individuals (trophy pin hunters) currently view classic cars, antiques and pinball etc and avenues to invest their wonga until more fruitful options become available, it will be interesting to see what effect a change in the financial landscape will do to pinball prices although that change is a long way off as we dig deeper into the longest recession since WW2.

In the land of the slot machine the worn out Gilligan's Island is king

Judge Dreads, Today at 9:03 AM ReportBookmark#82LikeReply

Up your font size. Feckin phones & small print not a good combo when you're Dazzas age,

Alan.

Watch it sonny Jim,

Yes I do need a eye test but at least I can see the feckin post.

jonathan' date=' post: 1696060 said:

I don't agree. Mame has dropped because it isn't collectible, you can easily build your own. There is only a finite supply of each title and unless someone builds more of the Bally Williams titles, they will only decrease. I kept thinking the market had peaked but I don't think it will for at least another 5 years, it's scary to think that in 2017 a normal price for TAF will be circa 4k but it's perfectly feasible sadly.

Watch the TAF's go mental the very second those colour displays are available. I might have to buy 'em all....hehe..

Rus121' date=' post: 1696214 said:
Watch the TAF's go mental the very second those colour displays are available. I might have to buy 'em all....hehe..

Too late - they already went mental this year:(

Been trying to buy one way in advance of the colour dmd but given up and gone onto other pins!

Back
Top Bottom