What's new

Walking Dead Colour DMD

Nowhere in the UK.
You can get them direct from Color DMD , but after postage they ain't cheap.

The ones you link to are metric so no good.
Unless they can be made to fit, that I don't know.

I might have to machine some spacers. Pretty sure we have a 6-32 tap at work.

What's the advantage of the LED version over the LCD one? Would you actually clock the difference? Is it really just that it only does the small dot version rather than the Hi-RES one?

Thanks Andrew

These are 6-32 and look right length but what I don't get is the male/female bit. Do you get a male and female as one unit? ie only need to order 4?

http://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/Keystone-Electronics/7210/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtrde5aJd3qw3QaZpWtG6nizhEVyoxXA4A=
The male/female standoff seems a tad odd to me (although they are readily available in the US.
I'm looking at that diagram and thinking a 1/4 hex standoff with a 6-32 thread all the way through that is the same height of the plastic spacer, 2 washers and male/female standoff in the diagram. You could then mount the LCD with some 6-32 screws.

What's the advantage of the LED version over the LCD one? Would you actually clock the difference? Is it really just that it only does the small dot version rather than the Hi-RES one?

From what I have read on the colourDMD thread on pinside, the LED version is brighter with finer dots, but can't do the smooth version.

Some people seem to prefer LED, others prefer LCD.

One advantage of LED is that it fits perfectly as it is the right size. Some say it can be too bright. But apparently Tron looks fantastic with LED.

Fantastic, many thanks Andrew:)
I actually went and looked at my game and noticed that the current threaded stems are very long. I have some short hex posts left over from a previous ColorDMD install so I am going to use this simple setup.

IMG_7825.JPG

The nut under the hex spacer is one of the nuts that held the red dmd in place. Once the clear screen is in place (thanks @replicas) I can adjust the height of the spacers as necessary and then mount the ColorDMD with 6-32 screws.

LED is much more pinball authentic in my view. If you run normal dots interns of graphics there is no difference. I hate the smooth modes in anycase. I have LED on my ToM and one day after I've been drinking I'll probably order two to replace the LCD ones I have in ST:TNG and Monster Bash. LED wins for me. Waiting on LED for my Walking Dead.

Neil.

Agreed I hate anything other than DOTS mode with the LCD DMD's. I can't understand anyone who uses highres or anything else, makes me shudder like hearing nails on a blackboard.

Great timing for me with TWD, since I've traded for one and get it next week and I have a spare LED DMD sat waiting for something :D (Just had to order a Stern wire kit)

Agreed I hate anything other than DOTS mode with the LCD DMD's. I can't understand anyone who uses highres or anything else, makes me shudder like hearing nails on a blackboard.

Great timing for me with TWD, since I've traded for one and get it next week and I have a spare LED DMD sat waiting for something :D (Just had to order a Stern wire kit)

Dots XL is what all the cool kids are doing.

It's still dots, but turned up to 11.

LED is much more pinball authentic in my view. If you run normal dots interns of graphics there is no difference. I hate the smooth modes in anycase. I have LED on my ToM and one day after I've been drinking I'll probably order two to replace the LCD ones I have in ST:TNG and Monster Bash. LED wins for me. Waiting on LED for my Walking Dead.

Neil.
Well when you have been drinking Neil and order two LED displays can I buy your two LCD ones for a drink fuelled discount ? :rolleyes:

Thanks for the LED/LCD info. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the Hi-Res graphic option. Kind of reminds me of Duplo. I know Spider-Man needed a new memory add on. Do all new screens come with it? ie if we by TWD from Pinball Palace can you then run SM on it or does that require a bespoke board? Planning ahead a bit as presumably the video capture is the reason for the extra memory and I'd like to see a colourised GOT as the graphics are **** poor at the moment.

Thanks for the LED/LCD info. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the Hi-Res graphic option. Kind of reminds me of Duplo. I know Spider-Man needed a new memory add on. Do all new screens come with it? ie if we by TWD from Pinball Palace can you then run SM on it or does that require a bespoke board? Planning ahead a bit as presumably the video capture is the reason for the extra memory and I'd like to see a colourised GOT as the graphics are **** poor at the moment.
All new DMDs (since early last year) are SM compatible. :thumbs:

I want the best for my Walking Dead , so what do I go for ? LED/LCD ?????? And where to buy from.

Back
Top Bottom