What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Very Irritating noise from my Getaway

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re barking up the wrong tree here Andy. When Chris sells something that is ‘sold as seen’ it is clearly marked as such and the price is rock bottom and they sell in minutes. You buy it cheap and any problems are yours to deal with. My experience is anything he sells that has been restored (for restored sized price) he continues to offer ongoing support to. I have had over a dozen pins from him and he has always rectified any problems
I completely agree However I sold HS2 as fully restored and it did look and play like a new machine. and the buyer agreed! I later had a couple of questions from the seller which I answered then nothing until. yesterday when I m told the buyer has been "tinkering" and the machine now blows fuses (something it never even did whist in need of restoration.) I have no problem at all helping anyone but say I sold you a fully restored Ford Capri. You saw it tried it/test drove it and was happy then several weeks later you mentioned on a forum , (not direct to me despite have my phone and email contacts), that you had been "tinkering" and had seized the engine. Would you seriously expect the seller to repair / re-imberse for the repairs / damage? I am sure Chris Sells great "sold as seen" machines, I have been tempted myself a couple of times Indeed I am at the moment restoring a "mini Money Pit" but I knew what I has taking on. Dont get me wrong, I am happy to help my seller but I am not going to indemnify HIS MISTAKES! You dont get that guarantee from a new machine let alone a 25 yr old one! I am sure lots of people on here will now claim they would always repair and service FOC what they sell Really?? The sound on the video is nothing like the problem I had at one point. This sounds like it is a deliberate switch closure. The easy way to prove that will be to disconnect J215 & J205 on the CPU If the sound disappears then it is almost certainly the CREDIT BOARD by the coin door hinge. It often gets covered with beer or drinks that have leaked from the top of the machine Coke Cola is VERY conductive. That noise sounds like a credit to me The problem I originally had was the 1000 points firing off intermittently caused by a duff data cable

Uh - it's almost certainly an offset ribbon cable and he'll be down a few fuses grand total damage. Why would you suggest otherwise?
I am not suggesting anything I DO NOT KNOW WHY IT IS BLOWING FUSES! It could be simple or serious and just maybe wrong value fuses have been replaced???

You’re barking up the wrong tree here Andy. When Chris sells something that is ‘sold as seen’ it is clearly marked as such and the price is rock bottom and they sell in minutes. You buy it cheap and any problems are yours to deal with. My experience is anything he sells that has been restored (for restored sized price) he continues to offer ongoing support to. I have had over a dozen pins from him and he has always rectified any problems

thanks jmac it’s obviously a bit different with the as is stuff most of it is straight of site and it’s not worth me spending time and effort on it when I can probably flip it for the same amount of profit but it will always have an honest description and pics and will always help out the buyer with any tech questions they may have Its all about people’s attitudes if I get a polite email asking for help I will always do so if I get a I am not happy about this start it gets ignored

The video with audio has been up for a long time before your latest reply.

Why not focus on helping your buyer, as you say you would, instead of focusing on replying to other people, and waiting until other people have diagnosed the issue before you offer any advice relevant?

Actions speak louder than words and the timeline of words tells a tale.

I am not suggesting anything I DO NOT KNOW WHY IT IS BLOWING FUSES! It could be simple or serious and just maybe wrong value fuses have been replaced???
Well you ain't gonna help them work that out with pre-emptive blame of them and having a catfight with us.

no one can offer a lifetime guarantee I fully understand that
With my restored machines I would not expect any issues the buyer has unlimited technical support and if it can’t be fixed by e mail or phone call then if they return it too me I will fix it or if local then will go and fix It
I have restored many machines and I know if you do it to a high standard then no matter how many people you have on the job you can’t do it in 3 weeks
I can’t understand why you put 12 poor pics on e bay and here with none of the underside of the playfield and claim fully restored surly if it was fully restored you would have lots of high quality pics showing off your amazing work below are some pics of a fully restored whirlwind and it certainly took more than 3 weeks View attachment 98779View attachment 98780View attachment 98781View attachment 98782View attachment 98783View attachment 98784View attachment 98785View attachment 98786View attachment 98787View attachment 98788View attachment 98789View attachment 98790
I did better than a few pictures. I supplied 4 interested people with a USB stick showing the restoration from start to finish including the re-chroming and woodwork 3 videos and 142 pictures

Hang on, isn't that the coin drop sound effect? That's definitely not electrical noise, that's a game noise. And there's not many that will trigger over and over when in attract mode.
Maybe unhook the coin door... If that makes it go away then there's a good place to start.

I strongly doubt there's much wrong with the sound board on the basis of that video... other than not liking the loud 'boop' when the game is immediately powered on, but that's not really a sign of anything truly important.

I'm at work right now otherwise I'd go and immediately check on PinMAME.

I'm beginning to feel like there's been a hilarious SNAFU that would have been solved with a bit of game familiarity!
Nicely diagnosed!

Well you ain't gonna help them work that out with pre-emptive blame of them and having a catfight with us.
If you care to look at the original post by "Durzel" It was he who suggested that I had deliberately sold my HS 2 knowing full well that it had a sound fault! This is totally untrue and all I have done is presented the FACTS as only I the Seller and Big Louie the buyer actually KNOWS! Various people are, as is apparently becoming the norm of this Forum, trying to stir up trouble and add the 2 pennyworth into a subject the KNOW b-gger all about. Quite why anyone on here feels qualified to make the comment they do without knowing all the facts is beyond me

The video with audio has been up for a long time before your latest reply.

Why not focus on helping your buyer, as you say you would, instead of focusing on replying to other people, and waiting until other people have diagnosed the issue before you offer any advice relevant?

Actions speak louder than words and the timeline of words tells a tale.
How do you know I haven't been?

If you care to look at the original post by "Durzel" It was he who suggested that I had deliberately sold my HS 2 knowing full well that it had a sound fault! This is totally untrue and all I have done is presented the FACTS as only I the Seller and Big Louie the buyer actually KNOWS! Various people are, as is apparently becoming the norm of this Forum, trying to stir up trouble and add the 2 pennyworth into a subject the KNOW b-gger all about. Quite why anyone on here feels qualified to make the comment they do without knowing all the facts is beyond me
You'd have proven everyone totally wrong and made us all look like fools to boot if you'd have just dived in with diagnosis and gone 'oh that's a coin noise, do <x> with coin door, and as for the fuses, check the ribbon cable you disturbed, that's a common way to blow both of those fuses'... and then go from there? The initial complaint about the sound fault would have vanished once you identified it as a credit drop... and any remaining question about aftercare, would have vanished as you helped them work through the fuse issue.

So why didn't you just do that instead? Instead of... all this?

You'd have proven everyone totally wrong and made us all look like fools to boot if you'd have just dived in with diagnosis and gone 'oh that's a coin noise, do <x> with coin door, and as for the fuses, check the ribbon cable you disturbed, that's a common way to blow both of those fuses'... and then go from there? The initial complaint about the sound fault would have vanished once you identified it as a credit drop... and any remaining question about aftercare, would have vanished as you helped them work through the fuse issue.

So why didn't you just do that instead? Instead of... all this?
This may come as a surprise to you but I said from the very start that it was NOT the same sound as the issue I had I made this VERY VERY clear but as usual the "Playground" took over and I find myself defending a sale which is frankly none of anyone else business. For the people who seem a little "challenged" I will say this one last time then I am off to enjoy my Christmas in Meloneras in the Canaries. I sold a machine that was demonstrated, checked, played and inspected. I supplied it with a full set of documentation and my personal contact details should the seller have problems. He did have a couple of minor issues which I assisted him with . Now some Six weeks later he does not contact me but posts on this forum wanting help (which I have done) This not being "good enough" for some of the "keyboard Warriors" on this site, they have suggested /implied impropriety on my part. I have defended my position. I will close this now with one final question that I doubt may of you will have the honesty / guts to truthfully answer....... Knowing that my Buyer has been, on his own admission, "tinkering" when admitting to being on a learning curve, How many of you as sellers would be prepared to indemnify the buyer for all the losses and damage he may be causing.??? Honest answers please. Happy Christmas!

Last edited:
Marvellous let’s see the restoration pics and videos and prove everyone wrong then you could just have updated your shop log with them
Why on earth would I want to show this forum pictures and videos of a machine I have already sold just to "feed" the people on this site? I do not have to prove anything to anyone other than the buyer of my machines! NOTE: I DID NOT POST IT ON HERE AS FOR SALE so it really is none of anyone on here's business!

You don't post any details here, and get mad when people fill in the blanks. You're deliberately doing the things that shysters do. Your choice to do things the hard way I guess and not help yourself in any way to disavow people of that assumption. But do everyone a favour and don't moan about the lot you make for yourself.

You've also been told, and shown, what we would do in this case. We've asked them to check for the obvious, easy solution first, before - gasp - making assumptions...

Maybe you'd call us mugs for that, I'd prefer to say we're just not as relentlessly tight-fisted.

From someone whose not involved in this scenario but I can’t help but wonder
(1) Andy you can’t slag people off on here then a couple of months later ask for help, cos you’re liable to get a reply of two words. The second one being “off”.
(2) perhaps I’m wrong but didn’t the last big “fight” on here involve you against another member.
smoke without fire etc etc.

From someone whose not involved in this scenario but I can’t help but wonder
(1) Andy you can’t slag people off on here then a couple of months later ask for help, cos you’re liable to get a reply of two words. The second one being “off”.
(2) perhaps I’m wrong but didn’t the last big “fight” on here involve you against another member.
smoke without fire etc etc.
You do bring it on yourself Andy with your responses and your message tone. I don't have a problem with anyone here but you seem to get the backs up of a lot of people.

I did better than a few pictures. I supplied 4 interested people with a USB stick showing the restoration from start to finish including the re-chroming and woodwork 3 videos and 142 pictures
Why on earth would I want to show this forum pictures and videos of a machine I have already sold just to "feed" the people on this site? I do not have to prove anything to anyone other than the buyer of my machines! NOTE: I DID NOT POST IT ON HERE AS FOR SALE so it really is none of anyone on here's business!

exactly so why bother posting on here or asking simple tech questions as you said you didn’t sell it on here but your buyer felt the need to ask on here and has had help from members to sort his problem but non I can see from you
Your business ethic is totally wrong if the getaway was a marvellous creation then you are doing yourself an injustice by not posting pics this gives future buyers confidence in the next machines you may want to sell
By not posting gives the impression you have something to hide and the getaway is just a polished turd

If it were the coin door switch wouldn't that cut power to the flippers? Or is this machine an exception to the rule like BSD?

If it were the coin door switch wouldn't that cut power to the flippers? Or is this machine an exception to the rule like BSD?
BSD is not an exception, the interlock cut out switch is on IJ and after, any wpc earlier than that didn’t have it.

Last edited:
Apologies for causing a ruck, not my intention...

I have to sound currently, because I was trying to isolate the issue and pulled the MPU on the sound board. Snapped a pin. I have replacement, think might be bad. Have another on order.

I've checked the cables again, I have pressed them home and kept some pressure on the back to prevent a bit of bending.

Fuses in (last two!) coin door left open...J107 plugged in..Turn on. No blow. Closed coin door, no blow.

Just whistling from the speakers https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pwk9wdwaGcPBAGSo7

That'll might be the 68B09E at U13 that I broke and replaced with what might be bad chip. Replacement on the way :) If that doesn't work too, then....

I guess I need to wait now for this chip, see if that gets us some sound back and then back to the start, finding the issue with the weird noise.

I cant test any more with no sounds :(

Thanks for everyones help and suggestions, I am sure we will get the solution...It might take more than 3 weeks..I'll get my coat...

Tinkering?! FFS Andy..I was being generous until then... I wont mention the 7 fuses I had to change to be the correct amps on arrival then...

Good learnings, I know what I'll be checking when I buy my second pin :)

Once I get the sound chip back in, I'll revert with findings, for now, the 15 ppl for xmas eve will just have to put up with 4 player cocktail Track and Field, that I managed to tinker together, with the right fuses in...

Thanks all, sorry I caused such a fuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom