What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2022 Machine donation thread

No it means nothing like the majority 40% will be modern games which seems more than reasonable to me.

Roadshow in a competition would be nuts, you'd havre to make it brutal, take out tons of rubbers, adjust ramps, make sure you couldn't drop catch badly, I'd bring my machine polisher to put so much speed the ball to keep it interesting! - so my vote is no to roadshow - its just way to easy a game and people will be on it for hours.

Same with fishtails, you'd have to change the posts to wide posts to make the easiest shot in pinball much harder or people will be on it for hours.

AFM would be a great competition game - just make sure your scoop works perfectly well and the flippers are strong take the outside post rubbers off and set the posts to maximum hardness.
Someone else bring a Elvira WPC, Monster Bash or Medieval, shadow or an Indy 500, or I could bring Jackbot! in full D82 setup And I'll bring my Walking dead and put it into PAPA mode :D :D :D :D :D

Gottlieb - so who is going to be full time on mechanics? at INDISC they had folks constantly having to fix them - BRAVE! Same with EM, who has an EM thats been hammered for 2 days strong? Id put up my Cleopatra for this, its an EM with SS scoring :D is a Gottlieb and lasted 3 days getting hammered at TPF!

I'll ask Mike if I can bring his High Speed - its properly setup for competition and a great alpha numeric!

pirates in a tournament will be amazing :D :D :D :D :D - make sure plunder is on :D or lets have Wonka, so we have have a short kip between modes.

Regards,
Neil.

Me suggesting Road Show is obviously because I love it but I do think it's an interesting game to watch. Same with most B/Ws and older games they are easier to understand. Whereas I get bored watching endless sterns unless someone's explaining them well.

Plus RS was featured in 2019s tournament bank.
I totally disagree about fish tales, it's a brutal game if set up properly. I watched games on the one at d82(?) A week ago and it was sloooow and nothing like mine. I've seen FT on other streams and they're much more unforgiving, of course top players can do well but I don't think it lasts longer than modern games. Heard many commentators saying FT is a classic or great tournament game so I was surprised at your opinion.

@MajesticPinball's TX SECTOR has been at mine since Jan and has had no faults at all. Since Jan I've taken the glass off just to clean it. Its been played for 9hrs at a comp and on other occasions when I've had lots of people over all day.
I don't think they're as unreliable as people think, like any it depends how they're maintained.
There's barely anything to go wrong with them.

Basically yes.

Games are chosen for a number of reasons.

Availability - if I can't get hold of one it can't go in the comp.
Reliability - I've got to be 100% certain that that particular machine is going to last the whole weekend.
Suitability for comp - no-one wants to see BK2K in a final. Ideally there would be multiple scoring strategies per game, but definitely no overpowered strategy. Likewise with lock stealing, physical or otherwise.
An average game shouldn't be lasting half an hour per game. Having to remove all of the outlane rubbers and change all the rules to mega hard tends to make the game a mix of boring and luck, rather than a judgement/display of skill.
Familiarity of rules - it should be familiar enough that players have at least a basic understanding of the rules. It shouldn't be solely down to knowing if you press the action button now you'll score enough points to win, or the predetermined route through a video mode. (An addition to this, as TD I need to know expected behaviour of the machine to be able to make an informed call in the event of an issue or query). Likewise @strobey and whoever is commentating with him needs to know whats going on.
Variety - I'm never going to put MM, AFM & Stranger Things in the same lineup! Just because they're from the same manufacturer doesn't mean they play the same. (Not forgetting that there's a Classics Comp running at the same time, if that's your preference).
Viewability - certain machines are just better and more enjoyable to watch on stream, it's as simple as that.

Saying all of that there are no hard and fast rules.

I'll try and put in a machine which has duplicates in the show, IF it also satisfies all of the above.
Or the latest machine IF I feel that people would like to see it on stream, or it will encourage more people to enter the comp.

At the end of the day, I'll choose the machines and be judged on the success of the comp by the entrants. If you're favourite machine isn't in it, or is in, or it's too hard or too easy, or any other 'complaint' or 'suggestion' you can always choose not to enter.

(This is NOT directed specifically at you @David_Vi , it's just that I spotted your question first [this year])

Strobeys area is B/W no? 😉🤣

I was just curious how it works as I prefer variety. We watched a lot of Neil's stream and enjoy it immensely but I find it tiring watching stern after stern when it's hard to know what's going on unless someone is commentating well each time so you can learn the rules a bit. The LCDs have so much going on and not as obvious clues to what to do.

I've been watching a lot of streams recently, especially those of comps where our Andy has been and for some reason I've found watching the older games much more fun, even ones I don't know like the early SS or EMS, they feel more challenging and easier to watch.

Apologies for being off topic

I won't take this off topic for long but a Gottlieb machine is as reliable as any game if the owner/tech knows what they're doing. Since restoring my 80b's (falsely deemed as some of the most unreliable machines out there) I've never had a single issue, with any of them... Not even once.... With any of my gottliebs actually, including the System 3's which are as reliable and hardy as it can get. Putting a well maintained and cared for Gott in a tournament would give you no problems what so ever.

I won't take this off topic for long but a Gottlieb machine is as reliable as any game if the owner/tech knows what they're doing. Since restoring my 80b's (falsely deemed as some of the most unreliable machines out there) I've never had a single issue, with any of them... Not even once.... With any of my gottliebs actually, including the System 3's which are as reliable and hardy as it can get. Putting a well maintained and cared for Gott in a tournament would give you no problems what so ever.

my experience in many competitions would say otherwise but lets get one of yours in the comp and see how it gets on.

Neil.

my experience in many competitions would say otherwise but lets get one of yours in the comp and see how it gets on.

Neil.
I stand behind all of mine for reliability, however I want them on the main floor for everyone to be able to experience and enjoy. Perhaps if somebody else is willing to bring a TX I'd put mine in the comp section.

Loved that last year, was a good excuse for some friendly banter, extra drinking and helping a charity too. Can we have a booster seat for Gonzo this year though, he was struggling to see the upper playfield on Mando 😂
Bringing an old-school milk crate for him this year…

I will check the list nearer the event to avoid duplicates but its a nature of events and people should be happy for any one to bring machines.

At pinball owners shows there was a tendancy for folks to bring games they wanted rid of. At one show there were four hurricanes (out of 40 machines in total!

At pinball owners shows there was a tendancy for folks to bring games they wanted rid of.
Or wanted fixing.

I've seen way too many machines in the past turn up, get switched on, and they have developed a fault 'in transit' which they hope the NLP guys or Andy will fix for them.

The last few years have seen that happen a lot less.

Happy to put one of our machines in the competition. Will be a classic ss of course!
Transport is the problem as many who know me are aware I rarely travel beyond the m3! Subject to availability/working choices from:
Flight2000
Seawitch
Xenon
Dolly Parton
Genesis
Pat hand
Cybernaut
Cheers Keef……😎
Love Flight 2000. So unique

A decision has been made, I'll be bringing Xenon and happy for it to go in the classics comp.
I had a good time, l mean got a reasonable score on Xenon in our classic league last night.

A link to the best ever pinball short film ever made just in case you're not aware of it. Peter Ustinov and Bally . Classic

Back
Top Bottom